Effects of Food Supply Chain Regulation
This paper analyses the effects of food supply chain regulation investigating a particular example of the Act No. 395/2009, on Significant Market Power in the Sale of Agricultural and Food Products and Abuse thereof, which came into force in February 2010 in the Czech Republic. The objective of this paper is to explore the impact of this regulation on suppliers, their negotiation position and the retailer-supplier relationship. One hundred and one retail food suppliers were approached via a questionnaire, and the results of the research demonstrate that the Act has improved neither the negotiation position of the majority of suppliers nor the relationship of suppliers with retailers. It was also proven that the Act would not bring any special advantage to small and medium sized enterprises or domestic companies.(original abstract)
- Becchetti, L., Castriota, S., Michetti, M., The Effect of Fair Trade Affiliation on Child Schooling: Evidence from a Sample of Chilean Honey Producers, "Applied Economics", vol. 45, issue 25, 2013.
- Bejček, J., Úprava tzv. významné tržní síly: přirozený krok k ochraně spotřebitele a slabšího, nebo "papírový tygr" (a škůdce soutěže a spotřebitele)? [Legislation of So-called Significant Market Power: A Natural Step towards Protecting the Consumer and the Weaker, or "Paper Tiger" (Harming Competition and the Consumer)?], "Bulletin advokacie" ["Bulletin of advocacy"], no. 7-8, pp. 15-25, 2012.
- Biscourp, P., Boutin, X., Verge, T., The Effects of Retail Regulations on Prices: Evidence from the Loi Galland, "Economic Journal", vol. 123, no. 573, pp. 1279-1312, 2013.
- Blumenfeld, J., Retail Trade Regulations and Their Constitutionality, "California Law Review", vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 86-106, 1933.
- Bobot, L., Functional and Dysfunctional Conflicts in Retailer-Supplier Relationships, "International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management", vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 25-50, 2011.
- Bolotov, I., Čajka, R., Gajdušková, K., Economic Development of the EU New Member States. The Impact of the Crisis and the Role of the Single European Currency, "Oeconomica", Praha, 2013.
- Bonnet, C., Dubois, P., Inference on Vertical Contracts between Manufacturers and Retailers Allowing for Nonlinear Pricing and Resale Price Maintenance, "The Rand Journal of Economics", vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 139-164, 2010.
- Braşoveanu, I. V., Braşoveanu, L. O., Maşcu, S., Comparative Analysis of Consumer Protection, Considering the Globalisation and Technological Changes, within Member States of the European Union, "Amfiteatru Economic", vol. XVI, no. 36, pp. 517-534, 2014.
- Caridà, A., Colurcio, M., Collaborative Innovation in Food SMEs: A Practice Approach, "Archives of Business Research", vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 138-149, 2014.
- Chung, J., Sternquist, B., Chen, Z., Retailer-Buyer Supplier Relationships: The Japanese Difference, "Journal of Retailing", vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 349-355, 2006.
- European Economic and Social Committee, Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council on unfair business-to-business trading practices in the food supply chain, COM(2016) 32 final, Brussels, 2016.
- Czech Republic, The Act No. 395/2009 Coll. on Significant Market Power in the Sale of Agricultural and Food Products and Abuse thereof, Translated by the Office for the Protection of Competition, 2009.
- Czech Republic, The Act No. 50/2016 Coll. Amending the Act No. 395/2009 Coll. On Significant Market Power in the Sale of Agricultural and Food Products and Abuse thereof, 2016.
- Dawson, J., Viewpoint: Retailer Power, Manufacturer Power, Competition and Some Questions of Economic Analysis, "International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management", vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 5-8, 2000.
- Department of International and External Relations, Press Release 15/023/HS012, Office for the Protection of Competition, 2015.
- Duffy, R., Fearne, A., Hornibrook, S., Measuring Distributive and Procedural Justice: An Exploratory Investigation of the Fairness of Retailer-Supplier Relationships in the UK Food Industry, "British Food Journal", vol. 105, no. 10, pp. 682-694, 2003.
- ECR, Členové, Česko-slovenská inicitativa ECR [Members, Czech-Slovak Initiative], 2017
- European Commission, A Better Functioning Food Supply Chain in Europe, Communication from the Commission, COM(2009) 591 final, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 2009a.
- European Commission, Competition in the Food Supply Chain, Commission staff working document, SEC(2009) 1449, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 2009b.
- European Commission, Retail Market Monitoring Report "Towards More Efficient and Fairer Retail Services in the Internal Market for 2020", Report from the Commission. COM(2010) 355 final, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 2010a.
- European Commission, On Retail Services in the Internal Market Accompanying Document to the Report on Retail Market Monitoring: Towards More Efficient and Fairer Retail Services in the Internal Market for 2020, Commission staff working document.
- SEC(2010)807 final, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 2010b. European Commission, Setting up a European Retail Action Plan, Communication from the Commission, COM(2013) 36 final, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 2013a.
- European Commission, Green Paper on Unfair Trading Practices in the Business-to-Business Food and Non-food Supply Chain in Europe, COM(2013) 37 final, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 2013b.
- European Commission, Tackling Unfair Trading Practices in the Business-to-Business Food Supply Chain. Communication from the Commission, COM(2014) 472 final, Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, 2014.
- Filipová, A. Mokrejšová, V., Zeman, J., Significant Market Power Act Efficiency, "Acta academica karviniensia", vol. XIV, no. 4, pp. 18-25, 2014.
- Fischer, C., Trust and Communication in European Agri-food Chains, "Supply Chain Management", vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 208-218, 2013.
- Ganescu, M. C., Asandei, M., Gangone, A., Chirilă, C., Performance Determinants for Responsible Supply Chain Management in the European Emerging Countries, "Amfiteatru Economic", vol. XV, no. 33, pp. 155-169, 2013.
- Ghaderi, H., Leman, Z., Horizontal Collaboration in Purchasing: A Successful Case from Small and Medium Enterprises, "African Journal of Business Management", vol. 7, no. 10, pp. 750-753, 2013.
- Havinga, T., Private Regulation of Food Safety by Supermarkets, "Law & Policy", vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 515-533, 2006.
- Hogarth-Scott, S., Parkinson, S. T., Retailer-Supplier Relationships in the Food Channel: A Supplier Perspective, "International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management", vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 11-19, 1993.
- Hollingsworth, A., Increasing Retail Concentration: Evidence from the UK Food Retail Sector, "British Food Journal", vol. 106, no. 8, pp. 629-638, 2004.
- Iniciativa pro férový obchod, Připojili se [Fair Trade Initiative, Members], IPFO, 2016.
- Justo de, J. M., Efficiency and Regulation in the Spanish Hypermarket Retail Trade, "International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management", vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 71-88, 2008.
- Kaditi, E. A., Market Dynamics in Food Supply Chains: The Impact of Globalization and Consolidation on Firms' Market Power, "Agribusiness", vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 410-425, 2013.
- Larue, B., Bonroy, O., Seemingly Competitive Food Retail Regulations: Who Do They Really Help?, "Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics", vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 305-324, 2009.
- Maloni, M. J., Brown, M. E., Corporate Social Responsibility in the Supply Chain: An Application in the Food Industry, Journal of Business Ethics, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 35-52, 2006.
- Marx, L. M., Shaffer, G., Upfront Payments and Exclusion in Downstream Markets, "The Rand Journal of Economics", vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 823-843, 2007.
- Metro Group, Concentration of Companies in European Food Retailing 2012, Metro retail compendium, 2014.
- Mokrejšová, V., Regulace dodavatelsko-odběratelských vztahů v potravinářském řetězci [Regulation of Retailer-Supplier Relationships within the Food Chain], Dissertation, Praha 2013.
- Office for the Protection of Competition, Sbírky rozhodnutí [Collection of Decisions], 2015.
- Office for the Protection of Competition, Soudní přezkum rozhodnutí [Judicial Review of the Decision], 2016.
- Pelikán, R., Zákon o významné tržní síle - legislativní 'Dada' směřuje do praxe [Significant Market Power Act - The Legislative 'Dada' Goes into Practice]. Antitrust Revue, Praha 2009.
- Press Department, Press Release 17/019/VTS004, Office for the Protection of Competition, 2017a.
- Press Department, Press Release 17/022/VTS004, Office for the Protection of Competition, 2017b.
- Ratajczak-Mrozek, M., Malys, L., Supply Chain Cooperation and Company Performance, "Argumenta Oeconomica", vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 89-107, 2012.
- Rauscher, K. J., Runyan, C. W., Schulman, M. D., Bowling, J. M., US Child Labor Violations in the Retail and Service Industries: Findings From a National Survey of Working Adolescents, "American Journal of Public Health", vol. 98, issue 9, pp. 1693-1699, 2008.
- Richards, C., Bjørkhaug, H., Lawrence, G., Hickman, E., Retailer-driven Agricultural Restructuring-Australia, the UK and Norway in Comparison, "Agriculture and Human Values", vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 235-245, 2013.
- Robson, I., Rawnsley, V., Co-operation or Coercion? Supplier Networks and Relationships in the UK Food Industry, "Supply Chain Management", vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 39-48, 2001.
- Schivardi, F., Viviano, E., Entry Barriers in Retail Trade, "Economic Journal", vol. 121, no. 551, pp. 145-170, 2011.
- Senate, The Senate of the Parliament of the Czech Republic - Transcript of the 8th Meeting, Praha, 2009.
- Smith, A., The Theory of Moral Sentiments, The Glasgow Edition of the Works and Correspondence of Adam Smith, vol. 7. Oxford University Press, 1976.
- Stefanelli, J., Marsden, P., Models of Enforcement in Europe for Relations in the Food Supply Chain, British Institute of International and Comparative Law, London, 2012.
- Supply Chain Initiative, Vertical Relationships in the Food Supply Chain: Principles of Good Practice, Brussels, 2011.
- Ţigu, G., Ţuclea, C.-E., Vrânceanu, D.-M., Vasile, D.-C., The Social Responsibility of Retailers Through the Eyes of Students of a Commerce Faculty - A Qualitative Approach, "Amfiteatru Economic", vol. XVI, no. 35, pp. 73-87, 2014.
- Ústav zemědělské ekonomiky a informací, Panorama potravinářského průmyslu 2013, Ministerstvo zemědělství ČR, [Institute of Agricultural Economics and Information, Panorama of the Food Industry 2013, The Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic] Praha, 2014.
- Wood, S., Revisiting the US Food Retail Consolidation Wave: Regulation, Market Power and Spatial Outcomes, "Journal of Economic Geography", vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 299-326, 2013.
- Zadražilová, D., et.al., Společenská odpovědnost podniků. Transparentnost a etika podnikání [Corporate Social Responsibility. Transparency and Business Ethics]. C. H. Beck, Praha, 2010.
- Zadražilová, D., a kol., Udržitelné podnikání [Sustainable Business], "Oeconomica", Praha 2011.
- Zippel, C., Wilkinson, J., Vogler, T., The Influence of Private Labels on Retailer Cooperation, "Australasian Marketing Journal", vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 271-277, 2013.