Competitive Strategies of the SMEs : Empirical Evidence from the Czech Republic
Entrepreneurial activities in international markets bring significant changes in strategy and strategic management of SMEs. This paper aims to investigate the competitive strategies of Czech SMEs at their first foreign market entry. The paper based on data collected in interviews with managers and founders of Czech SMEs. The companies included in the study are those that have already undertaken internationalization activities and incorporated in the Czech Republic. Strategies of the Czech SMEs researched while using the method of questioning: the main primary data collection instrument was a questionnaire-interview. (original abstract)
- Acquaah, M., Yasani-Ardekani, M. (2008), Does the implementation of a combination competitive strategy yield incremental performance benefits? A new perspective from a transition economy in Sub-Saharan Africa, Journal of Business Research, 61: 346-354.
- Allred, B.B., Swan, K.S. (2004), Contextual influences on international subsidiaries' product technology strategy, Journal of International Management, 10: 259-286.
- Al-Mahrouq, M. (2010), Success factors of small and medium enterprises: The case of Jordan, Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business, 13(2): 89-106.
- Barney, J.B. (1991), Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage, Journal of Management, 17: 99-120.
- Barney, J.B. (1997), Gaining and sustaining competitive advantage, New York: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc.
- Barney, J.B. (2001), Is the resource-based "view" a useful perspective for strategic management research? Yes", Academy of Management Review, 26(1): 41-56.
- Barringer, B.R., Greening, D. W. (1998), Small business growth through geographic expansion: A comparative case study, Journal of Business Venturing, 13: 467-492.
- Benzing, C., Chu, H. M., Kara, O. (2009),Entrepreneurs in Turkey: A factor analysis of motivations, success factors, and problems, Journal of Small Business Management, 47(1): 58-91.
- Białek-Jaworska, A., Gabryelczyk, R. (2016), Biotech spin-off business models for the internationalization strategy, Baltic Journal of Management 11(4): 380-404.
- Chaffee, E.E. (1985),Three models of strategy, The Academy of Management Review, 10(1): 89-98.
- Chetty, S., Campbell-Hunt, C. (2003),Paths to internationalization among small-to medium-sized firms: A global versus regional approach, European Journal of Marketing, 37(5/6): 796.
- Czech Statistical Office (2013), The Czech Republic since year 1989 in the numbers, available at:http://www.czso.cz/csu/redakce.nsf/i/cr_od_roku_1989 (accessed 11 September 2016).
- Davenport, T.H., Prusak, L. (1998), Working knowledge: How organizations manage what they know, Massachusetts: Harvard Business School Press.
- Dixon, N.M. (2000), Common knowledge: How companies thrive by sharing what they know, Massachusetts: Harvard Business School Press.
- Dunning, J.H. (2000), The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity, International Business Review, 9(2): 163-190.
- EUROSTAT (2011), Summary indicators - Employment size classes for EU25/EU27 (all NACE activities), available at: http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/setupModifyTableLayout.do. (accessed 10 December 2016).
- Feio, P.A. (1998), Território e competitividade: Uma perspectiva geográfica do processo de internacionalizacao do sector ceramic, Lisbon: Edicoes Colibri.
- Fong, C.R., Ocampo, L.E.F. (2010), Intangible resources as a determinant of accelerated internationalization, Global Journal of Business Research, 4(4): 95-105.
- Ghosh, B.C., Liang, T. W., Meng, T. T., Chan, B. (2001), The key success factors, distinctive capabilities, and strategic thrusts of top SMEs in Singapore, Journal of Business Research, 51(3): 209-221.
- Hill, C.W.L. (1988), Differentiation versus low cost or differentiation and low cost: A contingency framework, Academy of Management Review, 13: 401-412.
- Hoffmann, W.H., Schlosser, R. (2001), Success factors of strategic alliances in small and medium-sized enterprises - an empirical survey, Long Range Planning, 34(3): 357-381.
- Jiang, R.J., Beamish, P.W., Makino, S. (2014), Time compression diseconomies in foreign expansion, Journal of World Business, 49(1): 114-121.
- Jones, M.V., Coviello, N., Tang, Y. K. (2011), International entrepreneurship research (1989-2009): A domain ontology and thematic analysis, Journal of Business Venturing, 26(6): 632-659.
- Knight, G. (2000), Entrepreneurship and marketing strategy: The SME under globalization, Journal of International Marketing, 8(2): 12-32.
- Kotler, P. (2012), Kotler on marketing, New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Kumlu, O. (2014),The effect of intangible resources and competitive strategies on the export performance of small and medium-sized enterprises. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150: 24-34.
- Lasserre, P. (2007), Global strategic management (2nd edition), New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Lavie, D., Fiegenbaum, A. (2000), The strategic reaction of domestic firms to foreign MNC Dominance: The Israeli experience, Long Range Planning, 33(5): 651-672.
- Lopez, L.E., Kundu, S.K., Ciravegna, L. (2009), Born global or born regional? Evidence from an exploratory study in the Costa Rican software industry, Journal of International Business Studies, 40(7): 1228-1238.
- Luo, Y.D., Zhao, H. X. (2004), Corporate link and competitive strategy in multinational enterprises: A perspective from subsidiaries seeking host market penetration, Journal of International Management, 10: 77-105.
- Man, M.M.K., Wafa, S.A. (2009), The relationship between innovativeness, strategy types, environment and the export performance of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) of Malaysian manufacturing sector, The Business Review, 13(2): 45-55.
- Manev, I.M., Manolova, T.S., Harkins, J.A., Gyoshev, B. S. (2015), Are pure or hybrid strategies right for new ventures in transition economies? International Small Business Journal, 33(8): 951-973.
- McDougall, P.P., Shane, S., Oviatt, B.M. (1994), Explaining the formation of international new ventures: The limits of theories from international business research, Journal of Business Venturing, 9(6): 469-487.
- Miller, D., Friesen, P.H. (1986), Porter's (1980) generic strategies and performance: An empirical examination with American data,part II: Performance implications, Organization Studies, 7: 255-261.
- North, K., Kumta, G. (2014), Knowledge management: Value creation through organizational learning, London: Springer International Publishing.
- Peng, M.W. (2001), The resource-based view and international business, Journal of Management, 27: 803-829.
- Penrose, E.T. (1959), The theory of the growth of the firm, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Pereira, E.T., Fernandes, A.J., Diz, H.M.M. (2009), Internationalization as a Competitiveness Factor: The case of the Portuguese ceramic firms. Proceedings of the ETSG 2009 Roma Eleventh Annual Conference (pp. 1-14), Roma, Italy: 10-12 September 2009.
- Pertusa-Ortega, E.M., José, F. M.-A., Claver-Cortés, E. C.-C. (2008), Competitive strategies and firm performance: A comparative analysis of pure, hybrid and "stuck-in-the-middle" strategies in Spanish firms, British Journal of Management, 20(4): 508-523.
- Pontiggia, A., Vescovi, T. (2012), When size does matter. Trends of SMEs internationalization strategies in Chinese economy, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2182486 (accessed 4 October 2016).
- Porter, M.E. (1980), Competitive strategy, New York: Free Press.
- Porter, M.E. (1980a), Competitive strategy: Techniques for analyzing industries and competitors, New York: Free Press.
- Porter, M.E. (1985), Competitive advantage, New York: Free Press.
- Porter, M.E. (1991), Towards a dynamic theory of strategy, Strategic Management Journal, 12: 95-117.
- Porter, M.E. (1996), What is strategy? Harvard Business Review, 74(6): 61.
- Porter, M.E. (2001), Strategy and the internet, Harvard Business Review, 79(3): 66-78.
- Reuber, R., Fischer, E. (1997), The Influence of the management team's international experience on the internationalization behaviors of SMEs, Journal of International Business Studies, 28(4): 807-825.
- Roxas, H.B., Chadee, D. (2011), A resourcebased view of small export firms' social in a Southeast Asian country, Asian Academy of Management Journal, 16(2): 1-28.
- Sapienza, H.J., DeClercq, D., Sandberg, W.R. (2005), Antecedents of international and domestic learning effort, Journal of Business Venturing, 20(4): 437-457.
- Sharfman, M.P., Dean, J.W. (1991), Conceptualizing and measuring the organizational environment: A multidimensional approach, Journal of Management, 17(4): 681-700.
- Sliwiński, R. (2012), Internationalization strategies of Polish fast growing enterprises, Poznaň University of Economics Review, 12(1): 17-39.
- Stark, C.E., Moss, L.E., Hahn, D.E. (2002), Farm business goals and competitive advantage, Proceeding of American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting (pp. 28-31), American Agricultural Economics Association, Long Beach: California.
- Tanwar, R. (2013), Porter's generic competitive strategies, Journal of Business and Management, 15(1): 11-17.
- Twarowska, K., Kakol, M. (2013), International business strategy - reasons and forms of expansion into foreign markets, Proceeding of International Conference '2013 Management, Knowledge and Learning (pp. 1005-1012), Zadar, Croatia: 19-21 June 2013.
- Wernerfelt, B. (1984), A resource-based view of the firm, Strategic Management Journal, 5: 171-180.
- Wijewardena, H., De Zoysa, A. (2005), A factor analytic study of the determinants of success in manufacturing SMEs, Proceeding of 35th EISB Conference - Sustaining the Entrepreneurial Spirit Over Time (pp. 55-58), 12-14 September, 2005, Barcelona, Spain.
- Zhou, L., Barnes, B., Lu, Y. (2010), Entrepreneurial proclivity, capability upgrading, and performance advantage of newness among international new ventures. Journal of International Business Studies, 41(5): 882-905.