Bold Vision: Gender Diversity Stuck in Transition
Canada is often put forward as an example of forward thinking on inclusiveness and gender balance. However, for the last 30 years, while gender diversity progress has been made within Canadian government agencies, commissions and boards (ABCs), the private sector continues to lag behind, stuck trying to break through the barrier of 18-22% females on Boards. This occurs while mounting empirical evidence clearly indicates that it is not just the right thing to do, it is the smart thing to do. This paper looks at where progressive government change has generated results and potential avenues necessary to make gender equality a reality within both the government and private sector beyond 2018. The author reviews the methods used by the Canadian government to achieve gender parity, ending with some insights on how the private sector could implement gender parity without the use of quotas. (original abstract)
- Adams, R. B. (2016). Women on boards: The superheroes of tomorrow? (ECGI Finance Working Paper 466, 1-55).
- Adams, R. B. & Ferreira, D. (2009). Women in the boardroom and their impact on governance and performance. Journal of Financial Economics, 94(2), 291-309.
- Adams, R. B., Haan, J., Terjesen, S. & Ees, H. van (2015). Board diversity: Moving the field forward. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 23(2), 77-82.
- Akaah, I. P. (1989). Differences in research ethics judgments between male and female. Journal of Business Ethics, 8(5), 375-381.
- Anderson, R. C., Reeb, D. M., Upadhyay, A. & Zhao, W. (2011). The economics of director heterogeneity. Financial Management, 40(1), 5-38.
- Arfken, D. E., Bellar, S. L. & Helms, M. M. (2004). The ultimate glass ceiling revisited: The presence of women on corporate boards. Journal of Business Ethics, 50(2), 177-186.
- Auditor General Report Canada. (2015). Report 1 - implementing gender-based analysis. Office of the Auditor General of Canada. Retrieved from http://www.oag-bvg. gc.ca/internet/English/parl_oag_201602_01_e_41058.html