Narcissism as a Determinant of Deviant Online Behaviours among Digital Natives
Personality traits are related to a large set of human activities, including online ones. In this study a relation between narcissism, its factors and various online activities was examined. A representative for Polish adult digital natives sample participated in the research. It was found that highly developed narcissism is strongly related with these behaviours and that this relation is not straightforward as it can be associated with either narcissistic or non-narcissistic activities. Results and conclusions were presented and discussed along with study's limitations. (original abstract)
- Ahn H., Kwolek E.A., Bowman N.D. (2015), Two faces of narcissism on SNS: The distinct effects of vulnerable and grandiose narcissism on SNS privacy control, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 45, pp. 375-381, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2014.12.032.
- Back M.D., Küfner A.C.P., Dufner M., Gerlach T.M., Rauthmann J.F., Denissen J.J.A. (2013), Narcissistic admiration and rivalry: Disentangling the bright and dark sides of narcissism, "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 105(6), pp. 1013-1037, DOI:10.1037/a0034431.
- Bergman S.M., Fearrington M.E., Davenport S.W., Bergman J.Z. (2011), Millennials, narcissism, and social networking: What narcissists do on social networking sites and why, "Personality and Individual Differences", Vol. 50, pp. 706-711, DOI: 10.1016/j.paid.2010.12.022.
- Blumer T., Leonard H., Lara-Ruiz J.M., Döring N. (2017), Narcissism and related need satisfaction among German social network users, "Journal of Business and Media Psychology (JBMP)", Vol.1, article 4.
- Błachnio A., Przepiorka A., Senol-Durak E., Durak M., Sherstyuk L. (2017), The role of personality traits in Facebook and Internet addictions: A study on Polish, Turkish, and Ukrainian samples, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 68, pp. 269-275, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2016.11.037.
- Buffardi L.E., Campbell W.K. (2008), Narcissism and social networking web sites, "Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin", Vol. 34, 1303-1314, DOI: 10.1177/0146167208320061.
- Campbell W.K., Rudich E.A., Sedikides C. (2002), Narcissism, self-esteem, and the positivity of self-views: Two portraits of self-love, "Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin", Vol. 28, pp. 358- 368, DOI: 10.1177/0146167202286007.
- Carpenter C. (2012), Narcissism on facebook: Self-promotional and anti-social behavior, "Personality and Individual Differences", Vol. 52, pp. 482-486, DOI: 10.1016/j.paid.2011.11.011.
- Charoensukmongkol P. (2016), Exploring personal characteristics associated with selfie-liking, "Cyberpsychology: Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace", Vol. 10(2), article 7, DOI: 10.5817/CP2016-2-7.
- Czarna A.Z., Dufner M., Clifton A.D. (2014), The effects of vulnerable and grandiose narcissism on liking-based and disliking-based centrality in social networks, "Journal of Research in Personality", Vol.50, pp. 42-45, DOI: 10.1016/j.jrp.2014.02.004.
- DeWall C.N., Buffardi L.E., Bonser I., Campbell W.K. (2011), Narcissism and implicit attention seeking: Evidence from linguistic analyses of social networking and online presentation, "Personality and Individual Differences", Vol. 51(1), pp. 57-62, DOI: 10.1016/j.paid.2011.03.011.
- Fox J., Rooney M.C. (2015), The Dark Triad and trait self-objectification as predictors of men's use and self-presentation behaviors on social networking sites, "Personality and Individual Differences", Vol.76, pp. 161-165, DOI: 10.1016/j.paid.2014.12.017.
- Gentile B., Miller J.D., Hoffman B.J., Reidy D.E., Zeichner A.C., Keith W. (2013), A test of two brief measures of grandiose narcissism: The Narcissistic Personality Inventory-13 and the Narcissistic Personality Inventory-16, "Psychological Assessment", Vol.25(4), pp.1120-1136, DOI: 10.1037/ a0033192.
- Kakaraki S., Tselios N., Katsanos Ch. (2017), Internet addiction, academic performance and personality traits: a correlational study among female university students, "International Journal of Learning Technology (IJLT)", Vol.12(2), pp.1-14, DOI: 10.1504/IJLT.2017.086382.
- Kayiş A.R., Satici S.A., Yilmaz M.F., Şimşek D., Ceyhan E., Bakioğlu F. (2016), Big five-personality trait and internet addiction: A meta-analytic review, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 63, pp. 35-40, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2016.05.012.
- Lee J.-A., Sung Y. (2016), Hide-and-Seek: Narcissism and "Selfie"-Related Behavior, "Cyberpsychology, behavior, and social networking", Vol.19(5), pp. 347-351, DOI: 10.1089/cyber.2015.0486.
- Leung L. (2013), Generational differences in content generation in social media: The roles of the gratifications sought and of narcissism, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 29(3), pp. 997-1006, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2012.12.028.
- Lowe-Calverley E., Grieve R. (2017), Web of deceit: Relationships between the dark triad, perceived ability to deceive and cyberloafing, "Cyberpsychology: Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace", Vol. 11(2), article 5, DOI: 10.5817/CP2017-2-5.
- Madan A.O. (2014), Cyber Aggression/Cyber Bullying and the Dark Triad: Effect on Workplace Behavior/Performance, "International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering", Vol. 8(6), pp. 1740-1745.
- Marshall T.C. Lefringhausen K., Ferenczi N. (2015), The Big Five, self-esteem, and narcissism as predictors of the topics people write about in Facebook status updates, "Personality and Individual Differences", Vol.85, pp. 35-40, DOI: 10.1016/j.paid.2015.04.039.
- McCain J.L., Borg Z.G., Rothenberg A.H., Churillo K.M., Weiler P., Campbell W.K. (2016), Personality and selfies: Narcissism and the Dark Triad, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 64, pp. 126-133, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2016.06.050.
- Mehdizadeh S. (2010), Self-Presentation 2.0: Narcissism and self-esteem on Facebook, "Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking", Vol. 13(4), pp. 357-364, DOI: 10.1089/cyber.2009.0257.
- Miller J.D., Hoffman B.J., Gaughan E.T., Gentile B., Maples J., and Campbell W.K. (2011), Grandiose and vulnerable narcissism: A nomological network analysis, "Journal of Personality", Vol. 79, pp. 1013-1042, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-6494.2010.00711.x.
- Moon J.H., Lee E., Lee J.-A., Choi T.R., Sung Y. (2016), The role of narcissism in selfpromotion on Instagram, "Personality and Individual Differences", Vol. 101, pp. 22-25, DOI: 10.1016/j. paid.2016.05.042.
- Prensky M. (2001), Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants, "On the Horizon", Vol. 9(5), pp.1-6.
- Rad F.G. (2015), Validation and factor analysis of Persian version of the narcissistic personality inventory- 40 in non-clinical population, "Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences", Vol. 25(124), pp. 84-93.
- Raskin R., Terry H. (1988), A principal-components analysis of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory and further evidence of its construct validity, "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology" Vol. 54, pp. 890-902, DOI: 10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990.
- Sheldon P., Bryant K. (2016), Instagram: Motives for its use and relationship to narcissism and contextual age, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 58, pp. 89-97, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2015.12.059.
- Sumner C., Byers A., Boochever R., Park G.J. (2012), Predicting Dark Triad Personality Traits from Twitter usage and a linguistic analysis of Tweets, "Conference proceedings at the IEEE 11th International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications ICMLA 2012", pp. 386-393, DOI: 10.1109/ICMLA.2012.218.
- Suler J. (2004), The online disinhibition effect, "Cyberpsychology & behavior", Vol. 7(3), pp. 321- 326, DOI: 10.1089/1094931041291295.
- Tapscott D. (2008), Grown up digital: How the net generation is changing your world, McGraw-Hill.
- Walters N.T., Horton R. (2015), A diary study of the influence of Facebook use on narcissism among male college students, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 52, pp. 326-330, DOI: 10.1016/j. chb.2015.05.054.
- Wang D. (2017), A study of the relationship between narcissism, extraversion, drive for entertainment, and narcissistic behavior on social networking sites, "Computers in Human Behavior", Vol. 66, pp.138-148, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2016.09.036.
- Watts J. (2017), Narcissism Through the Digital Looking Glass [in:] B. Sheils, J. Walsh (eds), Narcissism, Melancholia and the Subject of Community. Studies in the Psychosocial, Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, pp. 65-89, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-63829-4_3.
- Wurst S.N., Gerlach T.M., Dufner M., Rauthmann J.F., Grosz M.P., Küfner A.C.P., Denissen J.J.A., Back M.D. (2017), Narcissism and romantic relationships: The differential impact of narcissistic Admiration and Rivalry, "Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 112(2), pp. 280- 306, DOI: 10.1037/pspp0000113.