What is the Impact of Central Bank on Banks' Lending Policy with Respect to the Corporate Sector? : Evidence from SLOOS for Poland
The paper shows how central bank impacts credit policy of the banking sector. Using aggregate data from the "Senior loan officer survey" and SVAR models with non-recursive decomposition, it analyses effects of short-term interest rate innovations on loan standards, terms and conditions for short- and long-term loans for various types of enterprises. It finds that shocks to the monetary policy are amplified by the operation of the lending channel and that the reactions of standards on long-term loans for small and medium sized enterprises are somewhat more pronounced than those on loans for large entities. Loans for investment are affected by credit standards to a certain degree, other types of loans, such as loans on current account and loans for financing working capital as well as for real property acquisition tend to respond to the interest rate. Recursive factorizations may over-estimate the role of the credit channel. (original abstract)
- Basset W.F., Chosak M.B., Driscoll J.C., Zakrajsek E. (2014), Changes in bank lending standards and the macroeconomy , Journal of Monetary Economics, 62, March, 23-40.
- Chmielewski T., Kapuściński M., Kocięcki A., Łyziak T., Przystupa J., Stanisławska E., Wróbel E. (2018), Monetary transmission in Poland. What do we know in 2017? , Working Paper, 286, Narodowy Bank Polski.
- Cicciarelli M., Maddaloni A., Peydró J.-L. (2010), Trusting the bankers: a new look at the credit channel of monetary policy , Working Paper, 1228, European Central Bank.
- Ciccarelli M., Maddaloni A., Peydró J.-L. (2013), Heterogenous transmission mechanism. Monetary policy and financial fragility in the euro area , Working Paper, 1527, European Central Bank.
- Couaillier C. (2015) Do loan terms and conditions channel ECB's monetary policy? Applying Bayesian and panel VAR to the bank lending survey , https://afse2016.sciencesconf.org/98953/document.
- De Bondt G., Maddaloni A., Peydró J.-L., Scopel S. (2010), The euro area bank lending survey matters. Empirical evidence for credit and output growth , Working Paper, 1160, European Central Bank.
- Disyatat P. (2010), The bank lending channel revisited , Working Paper, 297, Bank for International Settlements.
- GUS (2017), Środki trwałe w gospodarce narodowej w 2016 roku , Główny Urząd Statystyczny.
- Jaffe D.M., Russel T. (1976), Imperfect information, uncertainty and credit rationing , The Quarterly Journal of Economics , 90(4), 651-666.
- Lown C., Morgan D. (2002), Credit effects in the monetary mechanism , Federal Reserve Bank of New York Economic Policy Review, May.
- Lown C., Morgan D. (2006), The credit cycle and the business cycle: new findings using the loan officer opinion survey, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking , 38(6), 1575-1597.
- Maddaloni A., Peydró J.-L. (2010), Bank risk-taking, securitization, supervision and low interest rates. Evidence from the euro area and the U.S. lending standards , Working Paper, 1248, European Central Bank.
- Maddaloni A., Peydró J.-L., Scopel S. (2008), Does monetary policy affect credit standards? , paper presented at CEPR/ESI 12th Annual Conference on "The Evolving Financial System and the Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy", Bank for International Settlements, September.
- NBP (2016), Senior loan officer opinion survey on bank lending practices and lending conditions , 4th quarter, Narodowy Bank Polski, http://www.nbp.pl/en/systemfinansowy/kredytowy4_2016_ en.pdf.
- Sawicka A., Postek Ł. (2017), Dynamika inwestycji sektora małych i średnich przedsiębiorstw w Polsce , mimeo.
- Stiglitz J.E., Weiss A. (1981), Credit rationing in markets with imperfect information , The American Economic Review , 71(3), 393-410.
- Wolf Ch.K. (2017), Masquerading shocks in sign restricted structural VARs , https://scholar.princeton. edu/sites/default/files/ckwolf/files/masqueradingshocks.pdf.
- Ziadeh-Mikati N. (2013), Too low for too long interest rates, bank risk-taking and bank capitalization: evidence from the U.S. commercial banks , https://afse2013.sciencesconf.org/conference/afse2013/ pages/ZIADEH.pdf.