Reshoring in Italy : a Recent Analysis
This paper contributes to the emerging literature on reshoring by analysing this return strategy in Italy with a focus on economic resilience. The joint analysis of reshoring and economic resilience is a missing link which could shed some light on the evolution of regional and international strategies and could help to understand whether there is a relationship between reshoring and the resilience of Italian industrial districts. In this regard, we intend to understand the behaviour of companies which have carried out reshoring strategies and their links with the territorial and regional area, and hence the economic resilience of the Italian regions in the face of most recent economic and financial shocks, which has contributed to these types of business and production choices. The aim is to demonstrate whether there is a relationship at regional level between companies which have made reshoring choices and the degree of economic resilience of an area. Using recent data, findings suggest that the renewal of supply chain strategy through reshoring can enhance the value of Italian production by a changing business model. (original abstract)
- Archibugi, D., & Lundvall, B. A. (2001). The Globalist Learning Economy, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Baldassarre, F., Salomone, S., Santovito, S, & Silvestri, R. (2014), Prospettive e criticità nella rilocalizzazione delle produzioni manifatturiere. Il backshoring delle imprese tessili pugliesi [Perspectives and critical issues in the relocation of manufacturing productions. The backshoring of the Apulian textile companies] In In XXVI Convegno annuale di Sinergie Manifattura:quale futuro? [In XXVI Annual Conference of Sinergie Manifattura: which future?]. Electronic Conference Proceeding (pp. 441-455). Cassino: University of Cassino and Sounthern Lazio.
- Becattini, G., & Rullani E. (1993). Sistema locale e mercato globale [Local system and global market]. Economia e Politica Industriale, 80, 25-48.
- Benito, G. R. G., Petersen, B., & Welch, L. S. (2011). Mode combinations and international operations. Theoretical issues and an empirical investigation. Management International Review, 51(6), 803-820.
- Briguglio, L. (2003, September). The vulnerability index and small island developing states: A review of conceptual and methodological issues. Paper presented at the AIMS Regional Preparatory Meeting on the Ten Year Review of the Barbados Programme of Action: Praia, Cape Verde.
- Brun, A., Caniato, F., Caridi, M., Castelli, C., Miragliotta, G., Ronchi, S., & Spina, G. (2008). Logistics and supply chain management in luxury fashion retail: Empirical investigation of Italian firms. International Journal of Production Economics, 114(2), 554-570.
- Camuffo, A. (2003). Transforming Industrial Districts: Large Firms and Small Business Networks in the Italian Eyewear. Industry and Innovation Journal, 10(4), 337-401.
- Capineri, C., Celata, F., De Vincenzo, D., Dini F., Randelli, F., & Romei, P. (2014). Oltre la Globalizzazione Resilienza/Resilience [Beyond the Globalization Resilience / Resilience]. Firenze: The Society for Geographical Studies.
- Centro Europa Ricerche. (2015). Attrarre sviluppo. Rapporto CER, n. 3 (Attracting development. Presentation of Report No. 3). Available at https://www.centroeuroparicerche.it/20-aprile-presentazione-rapporto-cer-32015/
- Clark, J., Huang, H. I., & Walsh, J. (2010). A typology of "Innovative District" what we mean for regional resilience. Cambridge Journal of Regions Economy and Society, 3, 121-137.
- Coe, N., Dicken P., & Hess, M. (2008). Global production networks: Realizing the potential. Journal of Economic Geography, 8, 271-295.
- Christopherson, S., Michie, J. E., & Tyler, P. (2010). Regional resilience: Theoretical and empirical perspectives. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 3(1), 3-10.
- Dachs, B., & Kinkel, S. (2013). Backshoring of production activities in European manufacturing. Evidence from a large-scale survey. European Operations Management Association, 3, 7-12.
- Dal Bianco, A. (2015, September). Politiche regionali e resilienza: spunti di riflessione dall'esperienza di regione Lombardia [Regional policies and resilience: food for thought from the experience of the Lombardy region]. Paper presented at the XXXVI AISRE Conference, Cosenza, Italy.
- De Backer, K., Menon, C., Desnoyers-James, I., & Moussiegt, L. (2016). Reshoring: Myth or Reality?, (Policy Paper No. 27). Paris: OECD Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1787/23074957
- Di Mauro, C., Fratocchi L., Orzes G., & Sartor M. (2018). Offshoring and backshoring: A multiple case study analysis. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 24(2), 108-134.
- Ellram L. M., Tate W. L., & Petersen K. J. (2013), Offshoring and reshoring: An update on the manufacturing location decision. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 49(2), 14-22.
- Ellram, L. M. (2013). Off-shoring, reshoring and the manufacturing location decision. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 49(2), 29-46.
- ESPON. (2014, August 31). Economic crisis: Resilience of regions. Final Report Available at https://www.espon.eu/programme/projects/espon-2013/appliedresearch/ecr2-economic-crisis-resilience-regions
- Eurofound. (2013). Monitoring and managing restructuring in the 21st century (ERM Annual Report 2013). Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. Retrieved from http://csdle.lex.unict.it/Archive/LW/Data%20reports%20and%20studies/Reports%20and%20studies%20from%20EUROFOUND/20131213-120956_ERM2012dec13pdf.pdf
- Folke, C., Carpenter, S., Walker, B., Scheffer, M., Chapin, T., & Rockström, J. (2010). Resilience Thinking: Integrating Resilience, Adaptability and Transformability. Ecology and Society 15(4). Available at http:// www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art20/
- Fratocchi L., Nassimbeni G., Sartor M., Ancarani A., Di Mauro C., Zanoni A., ... Vignoli M. (2013, March). Manufacturing Back-shoring and the Global Fragmentation of Production: What it is Changing after the Financial Crisis? Paper Presented at Conference 40th Academy of International Business UK & Ireland Chapter at Astopn Business School, Birmingham, UK.
- Fratocchi, L., Di Mauro, C., Barbieri, P., Nassimbeni, G., & Zanoni, A. (2014). When manufacturing moves back: Concepts and questions. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 20, 54-59.
- Fratocchi L., Ancarani A., Barbieri P., Di Mauro C., Nassimbeni G., Sartor M.,... Zanoni A. (2015). Manufacturing Back-reshoring as a Nonlinear Internationalization Process. In: R. van Tulder, A. Verbeke, R. Drogendijk (Eds.), The Future of Global Organizing (Progress in International Business Research, Vol. 10, pp. 367-405). Bingley, UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Forte, E., & Miotti, D. (2015). Politiche di offshoring e reshoring nelle strategie di sviluppo e crescita del Mezzogiorno [Offshoring and reshoring policies in Southern Italy development and growth strategies]. Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno, 3-4, 2-16.
- Gereffi, G., & Fernandez-Stark, K. (2011). Global Value Chain Analysis: A Primer. Durham, NC: Center on Globalization, Governance & Competitiveness, Duke University.
- Grappi, S., Romani, S., Zarantonello, L., Bagozzi, R. (2015). The revenge of the consumer! How brand moral violations lead to consumer anti-brand activism. Journal of Brand Management, 22(8), 658-672.
- Graziano, P. (2012). Rischio, vulnerabilità e Resilienza territoriale [Risk, vulnerability and territorial resilience]. Quaderni del Dipartimento di scienze economiche e sociali, 87, 1-32.
- Gray, J. V., Skowronsky, K., Esenduran, G., Rungtudanatham, M. J. (2013). Reshoring phenomenon: What supply chain academics ought to know and should do. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 49(2), 27-33.
- Gunderson, L., & Pritchard, L. (2002). Resilience and the behaviour of large-scale system. Washington, DC: Island Press.
- Hill, E. W., Wial, H., & Wolman, H. (2008) Exploring regional economic resilience (Working Paper No. 2008-04). Berkeley: Institute of Urban and Regional Development.
- Holling, C. S. (1973). Resilience and stability of ecological systems. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 4, 1-23.
- Holling, C. S. (1996). Engineering resilience versus ecological resilience. In P. Schulze (Ed.), Engineering within Ecological Constraints (pp. 31-43). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Holling, C. S., & Gunderson, L. H. (2002). Resilience and adaptive cycles. In C. S. Gunderson & C. S. Holling (Eds.), Panarchy. Understanding transformation in human and natural systems (pp. 25-62). Washington, DC: Island Press.
- Holz, R. (2009), An investigation into offshoring and backshoring in the German automotive industry (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). University of Wales, Swansea.
- Kim, B. (2013). Competitive priorities and supply chain strategy in the fashion industry. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 16(2), 214-242.
- Kinkel, S., & Maloca, S. (2009). Drivers and antecedents of manufacturing off-shoring and backshoring. A German perspective. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 15(3), 154-165.
- Kinkel, S. (2012). Trends in production relocation and backshoring activities: Changing patterns in the course of the global economic crisis. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 32(6), 696-720.
- Kinkel, S., & Zanker, C. (2013, June). New patterns of German production relocation and back shoring activities after the global economic crisis? Paper presented at the EURopean Opertion Management Association (Eu-rOMA), Dublin.
- KPMG. (2015). The Italian Way. Retrieved from https://home.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/pdf/2016/06/it-KPGMTheItalianWay(ItalyWorks2015).pdf
- Lagravinese, R. (2015). Economic crisis and rising gaps North-South: evidence from the Italian regions. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 8(2), 331-342.
- Martin, R. (2011). Regional economic resilience, hysteresis and recessionary shocks. Journal of Economic Geography, 12(1), 1-32.
- Martin, R., & Sunley, P. (2013). On the notion of regional economic resilience: Conceptualization and explanation. Journal of Economic Geography, 15(1), 1-42.
- Moradlou, H., Sawhney, R., Backhouse, C. J., & Mountney, S. (2017, July). Investigation on additive manufacturing as enabler for reshoring manufacturing activities. Paper presented at EurOMA, Edinburgh.
- Musso, F., Francioni, B., & Pagano, A. (2012). The role of country of origin in supporting export consortia in emerging markets. In: G. Bertoli & R. Resciniti (Eds.), International Marketing and The Country of Origin Effect. The Global Impact "Made in Italy" (pp. 178-198). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Odum, H. (1960). Ecological potential and analog circuits for the ecosystem, American Scientist, 48, 1-8.
- Pendall, R., Foster, K. A., & Cowell, M. (2010). Resilience and Regions: Building Understanding of the Metaphor. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 3(1), 71-84.
- Perrings, C. (2006). Resilience and sustainable development. Environment and Development Economics, 11, 417-427.
- Pimm, S. L. (1984). The complexity and stability of economic system. Nature, 307, 321-326.
- PWC. (2014, March). Reshoring - A New Direction for the UK Economy. Retrieved from https://pwc.blogs.com/files/ukeo-march14.pdf
- Ricciardi, A., Pastore, P., Russo, A., & Tommaso, S. (2015, September). Strategie di Bach-Reshoring in Italia: Vantaggi Competitivi Per Le Aziende, Opportunità Di Sviluppo Per il Paese [Bach-Reshoring strategies in Italy: Competitive Advantages for Companies, Development Opportunities for the Country]. Paper presented at the XXXVI AISRE Conference, Cosenza, Italy.
- Sammie, J., & Martin, R. (2010). The economic resilience of regions: Towards an evolutionary approach. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 3(1), 27-44.
- Smith, E. (1996). Worldwide Copyright Protection under the TRIPS Agreement. Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law, 29, 559-578.
- SVIMEZ (2015). Rapporto SVIMEZ sull'Economia del Mezzogiorno [SVIMEZ report on the economy of the South]. Bologna: Il Mulino. Available at https://www.ibs.it/rapporto-svimez-2015-sulleconomia-libro-vari/e/9788815260147
- The Economist (2013, March 19). Here, There and Everywhere. Retrieved from https://www.economist.com/special-report/2013/01/19/here-there-andeverywhere
- Quintieri B. (2006). I distretti industriali dal locale al globale [Industrial districts from local to global]. Soveria Mannelli: Rubbettino.
- UNCTAD. (2013). World Investment Report United Nations, The Shift Towards Services (Overview). Retrieved from https://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2013_en.pdf
- UniCLUB More Back Reshoring. (2014). Indagine esplorativa sulle strategie di (ri-localizzazione delle attività produttive nel settore calzaturiero italiano [Exploratory survey on the strategies of re-localization of production activities in the Italian footwear sector]. Retrieved from https://www.ilsole24ore.com/pdf2010/Editrice/ILSOLE24ORE/ILSOLE24ORE/Online/_Oggetti_Correlati/Documenti/Impresa%20e%20Territori/2014/11/indagine-calzaturieri.pdf
- Walker, B., Gunderson, L., Kinzig, A., Folke, C., Carpenter, S., & Schultz, L. (2006). A handful of heuristic and some propositios for understanding resilience in socio-ecological systems. Ecology and Society, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.5751/ES-01530-110113.
- Williamson J. (2012, August 13), Growing Supply Chain Disruption Encourages Reshoring. Manufacturing Digital. Available at http://www.manufacturingdigital.com/people_skills/growing-supply-chain-disruption-encourages-reshoring