Employee engagement and performance : a systematic literature review
Scholars and practitioners indicate that low level of employee engagement at work is currently one of the most alarming global economic problems. The potential consequence of this phenomenon is declining work performance. Therefore, it becomes important to understand the concept of work engagement, its meaning for employees, and implications for employers. The article is a systematic review of the body of literature, presenting the results of research on the association between employee engagement and various performance categories. The paper's objective is to summarize prior studies based on their ordering and categorization, identify gaps in the current knowledge, and propose an agenda for future research. The article presents these findings in a synthetic manner, offering practical and academic implications arising therefrom. Results of the review indicate that, in the case of most peerreviewed publications, a statistically significant relation between employee engagement and numerous categories and subcategories of performance was confirmed.(original abstract)
- Albdour, A.A., Altarawneh, I.I. (2014), Employee engagement and organizational commitment: Evidence from Jordan, International Journal of Business Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 192-212.
- Alessandri, G., Consiglio, C., Luthans, F., Borgogni, L. (2018), Testing a dynamic model of the impact of psychological capital on work engagement and job performance, Career Development International Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 33-47.
- Alfes, K., Truss, C. (2013), The relationship between line manager behavior, perceived HRM practices, and individual performance: Examining the mediating role of engagement, Human Resource Management Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 839-859.
- Ali, M., Lodhi, S.A., Raza, B., Ali, W. (2018), Examining the impact of managerial coaching on employee job performance: Mediating role of work engagement, leader-member-exchange quality, job satisfaction, and turnover intentions, Pakistan Journal of Commerce Social Sciences Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 253-282.
- Anitha, J. (2014), Determinants of employee engagement and their impact on employee performance, International Journal of Productivity & Performance Management Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 308-323.
- Badal, S., Harter, J.K. (2014), Gender diversity, business-unit engagement, and performance, Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 354-365.
- Bailey, C., Madden, A., Alfes, K., Fletcher, L. (2017), The meaning, antecedents and outcomes of employee engagement: A narrative synthesis, International Journal of Management Reviews Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 31-53.
- Bakker, A.B., Bal, P.M. (2010), Weekly work engagement and performance: A study among starting teachers, Journal of Occupational & Organizational Psychology Vol. 83, No. 1, pp. 189-206.
- Bakker, A.B., Demerouti, E., Ten Brummelhuis, L.L. (2012), Work engagement, performance, and active learning: The role of conscientiousness, Journal of Vocational Behavior Vol. 80, No. 2, pp. 555-564.
- Bal, M., De Lange, A. (2015), From flexibility human resource management to employee engagement and perceived job performance across the lifespan: A multisample study, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology Vol. 88, No. 1, pp. 126-154.
- Barnes, D.C., Collier, J.E. (2013), Investigating work engagement in the service environment, Journal of Services Marketing Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 485-499.
- Benn, S., Teo, S., Martin, A. (2015), Employee participation and engagement in working for the environment, Personnel Review Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 492-510.
- Borman, W.C., Motowidlo, S.J. (1997), Task performance and contextual performance: The meaning for personnel selection research, Human performance Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 99-109.
- Burkholder, G.J., Harlow, L.L. (2003), An illustration of a longitudinal cross-lagged design for larger structural equation models, Structural Equation Modeling Journal Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 465-486.
- Campbell, J.P., McCloy, R.A., Oppler, S.H., Sager, C.E. (1993), A theory of performance, Personnel selection in Organizations Jossey-Bass Publishers, San Francisco.
- Castanheira, F. (2016), Perceived social impact, social worth, and job performance: Mediation by motivation, Journal of Organizational Behavior Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 789-803.
- Cesário, F., Chambel, M.J. (2017), Linking organizational commitment and work engagement to employee performance, Knowledge and Process Management Vol. 24, No. 2, 152-158.
- Chong, C.Y., Lee, S.T. (2017), Employee retention and work engagement as predictors of job performance, International Journal of Business & Administrative Studies Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 158-165.
- Christian, M.S., Garza, A.S., Slaughter, J.E. (2011), Work engagement: a quantitative review and test of its relations with task and contextual performance, Personnel Psychology Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 89-136.
- Chughtai, A.A., Buckley, F. (2011), Work engagement antecedents, the mediating role of learning goal orientation and job performance, Career Development International Vol. 16, No. 7, pp. 684-705.
- Coco, C.T., Jamison, F. (2011), Connecting people investments and business outcomes at Lowe's: Using value linkage analytics to link employee engagement to business performance, People & Strategy Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 28-33.
- Dalal, R.S., Baysinger, M. (2012), The relative importance of employee engagement, other job attitudes, and trait affect as predictors of job performance Journal of Applied Social Psychology Vol. 42, No. S1, pp. E295-E325.
- Dash, M., Muthyala, A. (2016), Employee retention and engagement in Indian IT companies, Journal of Organisation and Human Behaviour Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 21-28.
- Davcik, N.J. (2014), The use and misuse of structural equation modeling in management research, Journal of Advances in Management Research Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 47-81.
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (2009), Engaging for success: Enhancing performance through employee engagement London.
- Dijkhuizen, J., Veldhoven, M.V., Schalk, R. (2016), Four types of well-being among entrepreneurs and their relationships with business performance, The Journal of Entrepreneurship Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 184-210.
- Eldor, L. (2017), Looking on the bright side: The positive role of organisational politics in the relationship between employee engagement and performance at work, Applied Psychology Vol. 66, No. 2, pp. 233-259.
- Eldor, L., Harpaz, I. (2016), A process model of employee engagement: The learning climate and its relationship with extra-role performance behaviors, Journal of Organizational Behavior Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 213-235.
- Farndale, E., Beijer, S.E., Van Veldhoven, M., Kelliher, C., Hope-Hailey, V. (2014), Work and organisation engagement: aligning research and practice, Journal of Organizational Effectiveness: People and Performance Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 157-176.
- Findikli, M.M.A. (2015), Exploring the consequences of work engagement: relations among OCB-I, LMX and team work performance, Ege Academic Review Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 229-238.
- Fletcher, L. (2016), Training perceptions, engagement, and performance: comparing work engagement and personal role engagement, Human Resource Development International Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 4-26.
- Forbes (2014), The Crisis in Worker Engagement: The 2 Things You Should Do About It retrieved from: <http://www.forbes.com/sites/karlmoore/2014/01/17/the-crisis-in-worker-engagement-the-2-things-you-should-do-about-it.htm> [17 January 2014].
- Freeney, Y., Fellenz, M.R. (2013), Work engagement as a key driver of quality of care: a study with midwives, Journal of Health Organization and Management Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 330-349.
- Gallup, Inc. (2017), State of the Global Workplace Report Washington.
- Gordon, H.J., Demerouti, E. (2015), The job demands and resources decision making (JD-R-DM) model, European Journal of Work & Organizational Psychology Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 44-58.
- Gorgievski, M.J., Moriano, J.A. (2014), Relating work engagement and workaholism to entrepreneurial performance, Journal of Managerial Psychology Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 106-121.
- Gutermann, D., Lehmann-Willenbrock, N., Boer, D., Born, M., Voelpel, S.C. (2017), How leaders affect followers' work engagement and performance: Integrating leader - member exchange and crossover theory, British Journal of Management Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 299-314.
- Halbesleben, J.R.B., Wheeler, A.R. (2008), The relative roles of engagement and embeddedness in predicting job performance and intention to leave, Work & Stress Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 242-256.
- Harter, J.K., Schmidt, F.L., Hayes, T.L. (2002), Business-unit-level relationship between employee satisfaction, employee engagement, and business outcomes: a meta-analysis, Journal of applied psychology Vol. 87, No. 2, pp. 268-279.
- JRA (2007), Employee Engagement: Driving Organization Performance JRA, Auckland.
- Kahn, W. A. (1990), Psychological conditions of personal engagement and disengagement at work, Academy of Management Journal Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 692-724.
- Kapil, K., Rastogi, R. (2017), Job embeddedness and work engagement as predictors of job performance, Journal of Strategic Human Resource Management Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 28-33.
- Karatepe, O.M. (2011), Procedural justice, work engagement, and job outcomes: Evidence from Nigeria, Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management Vol. 20, No. 8, pp. 855-878.
- Karatepe, O.M., Aga, M. (2016), The effects of organization mission fulfillment and perceived organizational support on job performance: The mediating role of work engagement, International Journal of Bank Marketing Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 368-387.
- Karatepe, O.M., Olugbade, O.A. (2016), The mediating role of work engagement in the relationship between high-performance work practices and job outcomes of employees in Nigeria, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management Vol. 28, No. 10, pp. 2350-2371.
- Kašpárková, L., Vaculík, M., Procházka, J., Schaufeli, W.B. (2018), Why resilient workers perform better: The roles of job satisfaction and work engagement, Journal of Workplace Behavioral Health Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 43-62.
- Kataria, A., Garg, P., Rastogi, R. (2013), Organizational effectiveness: A function of work engagement and OCBs, Review of HRM Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 23-34.
- Khan, M.N., Malik, M.F. (2017), "My leader's group is my group". Leader-member exchange and employees' behaviours, European Business Review Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 551-571.
- Kim, M.S., Koo, D.W. (2017), Linking LMX, engagement, innovative behavior, and job performance in hotel employees, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 3044-3062.
- Kim, W., Kolb, J.A., Kim, A. (2012), The relationship between work engagement and performance: A review of empirical literature and a proposed research agenda, Human Resource Development Review Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 248-276.
- Kovjanic, S., Schuh, S.C. (2013), Transformational leadership and performance: An experimental investigation of the mediating effects of basic needs satisfaction and work engagement, Journal of Occupational & Organizational Psychology Vol. 86, No. 4, pp. 543-555.
- Kulikowski, K. (2017), Do we all agree on how to measure work engagement? Factorial validity of Utrecht work engagement scale as a standard measurement tool - a literature review, International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 161-175.
- Lathabhavan, R., Balasubramanian, S.A., Natarajan, T. (2017), A psychometric analysis of the Utrecht Work Engagement Scale in Indian banking sector, Industrial and Commercial Training Vol. 49, No. 6, pp. 296-302.
- Lazauskaite-Zabielske, J., Urbanaviciute, I., Rekasiute Balsiene, R. (2018), From psychosocial working environment to good performance: the role of work engagement, Baltic Journal of Management Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 236-249.
- Lebas, M., Euske, K. (2002), A conceptual and operational delineation of performance. Business performance measurement: Theory and practice Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Lin, W., Wang, L., Bamberger, P.A., Zhang, Q., Wang, H., Guo, W., Zhang, T. (2016), Leading future orientations for current effectiveness: The role of engagement and supervisor coaching in linking future work self-salience to job performance, Journal of Vocational Behavior Vol. 92, pp. 145-156.
- Lorente, L., Salanova, M. (2014), How personal resources predict work engagement and self-rated performance among construction workers: A social cognitive perspective International Journal of Psychology Vol. 49, No. 3, pp. 200-207.
- Maden, C. (2015), Linking high involvement human resource practices to employee proactivity: The role of work engagement and learning goal orientation Personnel Review Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 720-738.
- Mäkikangas, A., Aunola, K., Seppälä, P., Hakanen, J. (2016), Work engagement-team performance relationship: shared job crafting as a moderator, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology Vol. 89, No. 4, pp. 772-790.
- Medlin, B., Green Jr., K. W. (2009), Enhancing performance through goal setting, engagement, and optimism, Industrial Management & Data Systems Vol. 109, No. 7, pp. 943-956.
- Medlin, B., Green, K.W., Wright, A.D. (2016), Comprehensive management practices and policies performance model, Industrial Management Data Systems Vol. 116, No. 5, pp. 1043-1060.
- Menguc, B., Auh, S. (2013), To be engaged or not to be engaged: The antecedents and consequences of service employee engagement, Journal of Business Research Vol. 66, No. 11, pp. 2163-2170.
- Myrden, S.E., Kelloway, K. (2015), Leading to customer loyalty: a daily test of the service-profit chain, Journal of Services Marketing Vol. 29, No. 6/7, pp. 585-598.
- Nazir, O., Islam, J.U. (2017), Enhancing organizational commitment and employee performance through employee engagement: An empirical check, South Asian Journal of Business Studies Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 98-114.
- Nazli, N.N.N., Sheikh Khairudin, S.M.H. (2018), The factors that influence transfer of training and its effect on organizational citizenship behaviour: evidence from Malaysia civil defence force, Journal of Workplace Learning Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 121-146.
- Park, S.Y., Lee, C.K., Kim, H. (2017), The influence of corporate social responsibility on travel company employees, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 178-196.
- Petticrew, M., Roberts H. (2006), Systematic reviews in the social sciences: a practical guide Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., Lee, J.-Y., Podsakoff, N.P. (2003), Common method biases in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommended remedies, Journal of Applied Psychology Vol. 88, No. 5, pp. 879-903.
- Rahman, U.U., Rehman, C.A., Imran, M.K., Aslam, U. (2017), Does team orientation matter? Linking work engagement and relational psychological contract with performance, Journal of Management Development Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 1102-1113.
- Reijseger, G., Peeters, M.C., Taris, T.W., Schaufeli, W.B. (2017), From motivation to activation: Why engaged workers are better performers, Journal of Business and Psychology Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 117-130.
- Rich, B., LePine, J.A., Crawford, R.C. (2010), Job engagement: antecedents and effects on job performance, Academy of Management Journal Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 617-635.
- Rindfleisch, A., Malter, A.J., Ganesan, S., Moorman, C. (2008), Cross-sectional versus longitudinal survey research: Concepts, findings, and guidelines, Journal of Marketing Research Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 261-279.
- Roe, R.A. (1999), Work performance: A multiple regulation perspective, International review of industrial and organizational psychology Vol. 14, pp. 231-336.
- Saks, A. M. (2006), Antecedents and consequences of employee engagement, Journal of Managerial Psychology Vol. 21, No. 7, pp.600-619.
- Salanova, M., Agut, S. (2005), Linking organizational resources and work engagement to employee performance and customer loyalty: The mediation of service climate, Journal of Applied Psychology Vol. 90, No. 6, pp. 1217-1227.
- Schaufeli, W.B., Bakker, A.B. (2010), Defining and measuring work engagement: Bringing clarity to the concept, Work engagement: A handbook of essential theory and research Taylor & Francis, Hove.
- Schaufeli, W.B., Salanova, M., Gonzalez-Roma V., Bakker, A.B. (2002), The measurement of engagement and burnout: A two sample confirmatory factor analytic approach, Journal of Happiness Studies Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 71-92.
- Schmitt, A., Den Hartog, D.N., Belschak, F.D. (2016), Transformational leadership and proactive work behaviour: A moderated mediation model including work engagement and job strain, Journal of occupational and organizational psychology Vol. 89, No. 3, pp. 588-610.
- Shantz, A., Alfes, K. (2013), The role of employee engagement in the relationship between job design and task performance, citizenship and deviant behaviours, International Journal of Human Resource Management Vol. 24, No. 13, pp. 2608-2627.
- Shantz, A., Alfes, K., Arevshatian, L. (2016), HRM in healthcare: The role of work engagement, Personnel Review Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 274-295.
- Shuck, M.B., Wollard, K. (2010), Employee engagement & HRD: A seminal review of the foundations, Human Resource Development Review Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 89-110.
- Shuck, B., Zigarmi, D. (2015), Psychological needs, engagement, and work intentions: A Bayesian multi-measurement mediation approach and implications for HRD, European Journal of Training and Development Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 2-21.
- Soane, E., Truss, C., Alfes, K., Shantz, A., Rees, C., Gatenby, M. (2012), Development and application of a new measure of employee engagement: the ISA Engagement Scale, Human Resource Development International Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 529-547.
- Steffens, N.K., Haslam, S.A. (2014), Leaders enhance group members' work engagement and reduce their burnout by crafting social identity, German Journal of Research in Human Resource Management Vol. 28, No. 1/2, pp. 173-194.
- Suan Choo, L. (2016), A study of the role of work engagement in promoting service-oriented organizational citizenship behavior in the Malaysian hotel sector, Global Business and Organizational Excellence Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 28-43.
- Suhartanto, D., Brien, A. (2018), Multidimensional engagement and store performance the perspective of frontline retail employees, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management Vol. 67, No. 5, pp. 809-824.
- Tims, M., Bakker, A.B. (2013), Job crafting at the team and individual level: Implications for work engagement and performance, Group & Organization Management Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 427-454.
- Tims, M., Derks, D., Bakker, A.B. (2015), Job crafting and job performance: A longitudinal study, European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 914-928.
- Tranfield, D., Denyer, D., Smart, P. (2003), Towards a methodology for developing evidence-informed management knowledge by means of systematic review, British journal of management Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 207-222.
- Tritch, T. (2003), Engagement drives results at new century, Gallup Management Journal September, pp. 1-6.
- Vallerand, R.J., Blanchard, C., Mageau, G.A., Koestner, R., Ratelle, C.F., Leonard, M., Gagné, M., Marolais, J. (2003), Les passions de l'ame; on obsessive and harmonious passion, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Vol. 85, No. 4, pp. 756-767.
- Van Beek, I., Taris, T.W. (2014), Heavy work investment: its motivational make-up and outcomes, Journal of Managerial Psychology Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 46-62.
- Van Leeuwen, T. (2004), Descriptive versus evaluative bibliometrics, Handbook of Quantitative Science and Technology Research Springer Netherlands, Dordrecht.
- Viljevac, A., Cooper-Thomas, H.D., Saks, A.M. (2012), An investigation into the validity of two measures of work engagement, The International Journal of Human Resource Management Vol. 23, No. 17, pp. 3692-3709.
- Wang, H., Lu, C., Siu, O. (2015), Job insecurity and job performance: The moderating role of organizational justice and the mediating role of work engagement, Journal of Applied Psychology Vol. 100, No. 4, pp. 1249-1258.
- Webster, J., Watson, R.T. (2002), Analyzing the past to prepare for the future: Writing a literature review, MIS Quarterly Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 13-23.
- Wollard, K.K., Shuck, M.B. (2011), Antecedents to employee engagement: A structured review of the literature, Advances in Developing Human Resources Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 429-446.
- Xanthopoulou, D., Bakker, A.B. (2008), Working in the sky: A diary study on work engagement among flight attendants, Journal of Occupational Health Psychology Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 345-356.
- Xanthopoulou, D., Bakker, A.B., Demerouti, E., Schaufeli, W.B. (2009), Work engagement and financial returns: A diary study on the role of job and personal resources, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 183-200.
- Yalabik, Z. Y., Popaitoon, P. (2013), Work engagement as a mediator between employee attitudes and outcomes, International Journal of Human Resource Management Vol. 24, No. 14, pp. 2799-2823.
- Zhong, L., Wayne, S.J., Liden, R.C. (2016), Job engagement, perceived organizational support, high-performance human resource practices, and cultural value orientations: A cross-level investigation, Journal of Organizational Behavior Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 823-844.