African Regional Media System in Post-Bipolar Era
This paper examines the development of African regional media system development in the period after Cold War, including contemporary situation, both from political perspective. It is characterized primarily by the fact that Africa ceased to be an arena of confrontation between the communist and capitalist worlds, but instead it became a place for international competition for the influence on the continent between the "old" and "new" global players, mainly, between the USA, Europe and China. This struggle is manifested in high level of attention for the creation and support by main actors of various channels of influence on African audiences by mass media (both traditional - foreign broadcasting by radio and television, and Internet platforms - websites, online broadcasting, social media). Secondly, there is an attempt by the African media environment to create Pan-African media, which, being guided by commercial needs and operated in conditions of liberalized information space, are quite successful, unlike the failed projects that took place during the Cold War, being politically motivated and existed in a largely undemocratic environment. We also argue that there are distinct sub-regional media systems that coincide with the borders of the former colonial empires. Their existence is both colonial legacy (common language, cultural ties, etc.), and a result of contemporary of media influence of the former metropolises. (original abstract)
- African Daily Voice (2018, August 13). African Daily Voice (ADV), a new panafrican news agency is born. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://africandailyvoice.com/en/2018/08/13/african-daily-voice-adv-a-new-panafrican-news-agency-is-born/
- African Daily Voice (n.d.). ABOUT - African Daily Voice. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://africandailyvoice.com/en/about/
- African News Agency (n.d.). ANA News | About Us. Retrieved November 8, 2018, from https://www.africannewsagency.com/about-us
- AllAfrica (2018, June 15). Africa: Pan African TV Channel Voxafrica Has a Big Hit With the Voiceafrique and Will Launch a Live Streaming Channel. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://allafrica.com/stories/201806210583.html
- AllAfrica (n.d.). Who We Are - allAfrica.com. Retrieved November 8, 2018, from https://allafrica.com/misc/info/about/
- BBC (2007, February 8). World Service language timeline. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/history/story/2007/02/070208_html_multilingual_audio.shtml
- BBC (2012, August 31). Focus on Africa. Retrieved November 7, 2018, from http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/2012/08/bbc-africa.shtml
- BBC (2016, November 16). BBC World Service announces biggest expansion 'since the 1940s'. Retrieved November 10, 2018, from https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37990220
- Capitant, S., & Frère, M.-S. (2011). Africa's Media Landscapes: A Thematic Introduction. Afrique contemporaine. 190. Retrieved October 14, 2018, from https://www.cairn-int.info/article-E_AFCO_240_0025--africa-s-media-landscapes.htm
- Cavanagh, K. (1989). Freeing the Pan-African News Agency. Journal of Modern African Studies. 27(2). 353-365.
- China Plus (2017, February 16). What We Do - China Plus. Retrieved October 19, 2018, from http://chinaplus.cri.cn/aboutus/aboutcri/62/20170216/392.html
- Kivikuru, U. (1995). New forms of cultural identity in an African Society. Innovation: The European Journal of Social Science Research. 8(4). 371-389. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13511610.1995.9968463
- Kupe, T. (1995). New forms of cultural identity in an African society: Comment to the paper by Ullamaija Kivikuru. Innovation: The European Journal of Social Science Research. 8(4). 391-398. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13511610.1995.9968464
- Mungham, G. (1996). Images of Africa in the Western media. The Courier. No 158. Retrieved November 11, 2018, from http://digital-library.unesco.org/shs/most/gsdl/cgi-bin/library?e=d-000-00---0demo--00-0-0--0prompt-10---4------0-1l--1-ru-50---20-help---00031-001-1-0gbk-00&cl=CL2.1&d=HASH30aa188f4d8ddaef558fc220.127.116.11&gc=1
- Mytton, G., Teer-Tomaselli, R. & Tudesq, A.-J. (2005). Transnational Television in Sub-Saharan Africa. In J. K. Chalaby (Ed.). Transnational Television Worldwide: Towards a New Media Order (pp. 96-127). London: I.B.Tauris & Co.
- Peuleux (n.d.-a). RFI (anciennement : Le Poste colonial, Paris Ondes Courtes, Paris Mondial, Radio France Internationale). Retrieved October 28, 2018 from http://radios.peuleux.eu/radios/r/rfi.html
- Peuleux (n.d.-b). MONTE-CARLO DOUALIYA. Retrieved October 29, 2018 from http://radios.peuleux.eu/radios/m/montecarlodoualiya.html
- Tchouaffe, O. J. (2008). Radio France Internationale. In W. Donsbach (Ed.). The international encyclopedia of communication (pp. 4089-4091). Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
- Tereshchuk, V. I. (2018). Political and Institutional Aspects of the African Regional Media System Development. Міжнародні відносини. Серія: "Політичні науки". No 18. Retrieved October 23, 2018, from http://journals.iir.kiev.ua/index.php/pol_n/article/view/3386
- The New York Times (1983, May 26). African News Agency Sends Its First Article. The New York Times. Retrieved November 11, 2018, from https://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/26/world/african-news-agency-sends-its-first-article.html
- Toynbee, J., & Vis, F. (2010). World music at the BBC World Service, 1942-2008: public diplomacy, cosmopolitanism, contradiction. Media, Culture & Society. 32(4). 547-564. https://doi.org/10.1177/0163443710367691
- TV5MONDE (2017). TV5MONDE AFRIQUE. 25 ans. Retrieved October 28, 2018 from http://presse.tv5monde.com/download/?id=15715&pn=Dossier
- TV5MONDE (n.d.). TV5MONDE: Présentation. Retrieved October 28, 2018 from http://www.tv5monde.com/cms/chaine-francophone/tv5monde/La-chaine/p-5857-Presentation.htm
- UNESCO (2014). World Trends in Freedom of Expression and Media Development: Regional overview of Africa. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- UNESCO Office in Brazil (n.d.). CPLP - Community of Portuguese Language Speaking Countries. Retrieved October 14, 2018, from http://www.unesco.org/new/en/brasilia/about-this-office/networks/specialized-communities/specilized-communities-clt/cplp/
- VOA (2010, September 16). Voice of America Expands its Sudan Programming. Retrieved October 31, 2018 from https://www.voanews.com/a/voice-of-america-expands-its-sudan-programming-103150364/155849.html
- VOA (2017, April 03). VOA Through the Years. Retrieved October 30, 2018 from https://www.insidevoa.com/a/3794247.html
- VOA (n.d.). VOA Language Service Fact Sheets. Retrieved October 30, 2018 from https://www.insidevoa.com/a/voa-fact-sheets/3780820.html
- Zöllner, O. (2011). International Broadcasting in the Social Network Era: New Allegiances in Deterritorialized Space Call for New Public Diplomacy. PD Magazine. 29-33.
- Мовчан, М. П. (2015). Політичні та економічні інтереси Китаю на Африканському континенті. Економічний часопис-ХХІ. 3-4(1). 12-15.