Governance Structures of the Agricultural Co-Operatives in Bulgaria - Concepts and Practices
This paper examines the governance structures of Bulgarian agricultural co-operatives and the effective informal changes in the governance model. In this context, the focus is to study the innovations in the internal governance that either improve or deteriorate the governance structure. The agricultural co-operatives, as specific forms of doing business in agriculture, are part of the world economy. In the global world in which they are currently operating, market dynamics and growing competition have a significant impact on them: their visions, strategies, governance and governance structure are changing. The empirical data are the result of case studies and in-depth interviews conducted by 32 agricultural cooperatives in Bulgaria during the period 2013-2016. Qualitative research techniques are used. As a result of the reported deviations from the legal framework, the in-depth study highlighted the need for new informal assisting bodies of the governance structure in Bulgarian agricultural cooperatives - Members Council, informal interest groups, attracting external experts. The loss of trust from members to management leads to their leaving the cooperative and directing them to corporate structures. (original abstract)
- 1. Bachev H., 2010, Governance of Agrarian Sustainability, Nova Science Publishers, New York.
- 2. Bachev H., 2012, Structures for Organisation of Agrarian Innovations, GRP International, "Journal of Business and Economics" Vol. 1, No 1, 49-63.
- 3. Bachev H., 2016, Sustainability of farms in Bulgaria, Avangard Prima, Sofia.
- 4. Bashev H., 2013, Assessment of the Impact of the EU CAP on Agricultural Cooperatives, "Journal of Economics and Management of Agriculture" 58, 1.
- 5. Bijman J., Hanisch M., Sangen G., 2012, Exploring Innovations in Internal Governance in European Agricultural Cooperatives.
- 6. Bijman J., Hanisch M., 2014, Shifting Control? The Changes of Internal Governance in Ag-ricultural Cooperatives in the EU, "Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics".
- 7. Boevsky I., Hanisch M., Sagebiel J., 2012, Case Study Report The role of postsocialist production cooperatives in Bulgaria project, "Support for Farmers'Cooperatives (SFC) ", European Commission.
- 8. BOEVSKY I., LAURINKARI J., 2017, Grundstrukturen des Genossenschaftswesens am Beispiel Bulgariens.
- 9. Boevsky I., Sarov A., 2017, Cooperative Governance - Challenges and Perspectives, Collection: Scientific Forum Businesses in the XXI Century - Trends and Challenges, May 2016, UNWE, pp. 366-377.
- 10. Boevsky I., Sarov A., 2017, Governance Structure in Bulgarian Agricultural Cooperatives, Collection of Reports Scientific Conference "The Role of Family Business for Sustainable Rural Development" 22-23.02.2017, Plovdiv, pp. 129-140.
- 11. Chaddad F. R., Cook M. L., 2003, Understanding New Cooperative Models: An Ownership, "Control Right Typology-Review of Agricultural Economics" 26 (3), 348-360.
- 12. Chaddad F., Iliopoulos C., 2012, Ownership and Control in Agricultural Cooperatives.
- 13. Chaddad F., Iliopoulos C., 2013, Control Rights, Governance, and the Costs of Ownership in Agricultural Cooperatives, "Agribusiness" Vol. 29 (1) 3-22.
- 14. Georgieva T., 2013, Strategic Management, Sofia.
- 15. Kaneva Kr., 2015, Institutional Changes and Structural Reform in Agricultural Farms, Avangard Prima Publishing House, Sofia.
- 16. Kopeva D., 2003, Strategic Management in agribusiness, UNWE "Stopanstvo", Sofia.
- 17. Koteva N., 2008, Challenges to the Agricultural Production Cooperatives in the Context of European Integration, "Journal of Economics and Management of Agriculture", issue 5, pp. 22-28.
- 18. Popova B., 2009, Role and Importance of Diversification for Improving the Economic Performance of Bulgarian Agricultural Cooperatives, "Journal of Economics and Management of Agriculture" vol. 4, pp. 58-63.
- 19. Sarov A., 2014, "Good practices in the internal governance of European agricultural cooperatives and the opportunities for their application in Bulgaria", "Journal of Economics and Management of Agriculture" 3, pp. 56-64.
- 20. Sarov A., 2016, "Innovations in the Governance Structure of Agricultural Production Cooperatives in Bulgaria", 147th EAAE Seminar 'CAP Impact on Economic Growth and Sustainability of Agriculture and Rural Areas', Sofia, Bulgaria, October 7-8, 2015, pp. 149-155.
- 21. Sarov A., 2017, Governance of the agricultural cooperatives - Challenges and perspectives, IEA, Sofia.
- 22. Sarov A., Boevsky I., 2016, "Challenges to the Governance of Agricultural Cooperatives in Bulgaria", "Journal of Economics and Management of Agriculture" vol. 4, pp. 44-53.
- 23. Stake R. E., 1995, The Art of Case Study Research, Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- 24. Stoyanova Ts., 2010, Strategic orientation of Bulgarian companies in the integration process to European structures // Integration Processes in Europe, Nish, Yugoslavia. pp. 53-61.
- 25. Stoyanova T., 2011, The Innovation potential of the Bulgarian business // VII May Conference on Strategic Management, Zaječar, Serbia, pp. 99-110.
- 26. Theesteld I., 2005, A Common Pool Resource in Transition, "ICAR." Vol. 23.
- 27. Weiqian Y., 2015, On Perfection of Governance Structure of Rural Cooperative Economic Organizations in China, "International Business and Management" Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 92-97.
- 28. Williamson O. E., 1996, The mechanisms of governance, New York: Oxford University Pres.
- 29. Yin X, Zajac E.J., 2004, The strategy/governance structure fit relationship: theory and evidence in franchising arrangements, "Strategic Management Journal" 25:365-383.