Assessing the Impact of Communications Strategy and Ethical Positioning on the Resilience of a Political Career Facing Scandal : Critical Analysis of Sexual Scandals within American Politics
Throughout the evolution of public political discourse we have repeatedly seen the effects of scandals on the careers of many politicians. Although the cultural and societal norms that have traditionally dictated the results of such scandals have changed dramatically within the last two centuries, I believe that the aftermath of these scandals may be better understood by analyzing and comparing the politician's previously established public image to the scandal at hand. I will argue that a negative impact only occurs if and when there is a clear contradiction of character that presents the politician as a deceitful or hypocritical person in the media sphere and therefore the eyes of the public(original abstract)
- 1. Bash, D., Weiner resigns after sexting scandal, 16.07.2011. Web.http://edition.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/16/weiner.scandal/index.html.
- 2. Brodie, F.M., Thomas Jefferson: An Intimate History. New York: Norton, 1974.
- 3. Cawthorne, N., The World's Greatest Political Scandals. London: Chancellor Press, 1999.
- 4. Cogiliano, Francis D., Thomas Jefferson: Reputation and Legacy. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2006.
- 5. Conason, J., Lyons, G., The Hunting of the President: The Ten-Year Campaign to Destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton. New York: St Martin's Press, 1999.
- 6. Dagnes, A., Sex Scandals in American Politics. New York: Bloomsbury Academic, 2011.
- 7. Garrard, J., Newell, J.L., Scandals in Past and Contemporary Politics. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2006.
- 8. Hagood, W.O., Presidential Sex: From the Founding Fathers to Bill Clinton. New York: Citadel Press, Secaucus, 1998.
- 9. Hamilton, A., Observation on Certain Documents Contained in No. V and VI of "The History ofthe United States for the Year 1796", in which the Charge of Speculation Against Alexander Hamilton, Late Secretary of the Treasury, is Fully Refuted. Philadelphia, 1979.
- 10. Long, K., The Almanac of Political Corruption, Scandals and Dirty Politics. Canada: Delacorte Press, 2008.
- 11. Markovits, A.S., Silverstein, M., The Politics of Scandal: Power and Process in Liberal Democraties. New York: Holmes & Meier Pub, 1988.
- 12. McConahey, Beth M., The City and Sex: Private Vice and Public Scandal in the American Republic. London: Lexington Books 2015.
- 13. Mindock, C., Donald Trump's sexual assault allegations: The full list of women who have accused the President, 4.12.2017. Web. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-sexual-assault-allegations-claims-women-how-many-groping-accused-us-president-a8091581.html.
- 14. New Yorkers Respond to Weiner's Candidacy, "New York Times", May 22 2013. Web. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/05/22/nyregion/new-yorkers-react-to-weiner-mayorcandidacy.html?mtrref=poczta.wp.pl&gwh=9468835A3DD1EB0F38D036726915A867&gwt=pay