Bipolar Disorder in Statehood : is China "Dr. Jekyll" or "Mr. Hyde" or Both?
American and Chinese interests seem to be at one time in agreement and at another at loggerheads over issues that involve armed services, diplomacy, economics, human rights, intelligence, trade and culture. Part of what may appear to be a growing déracinement, or mutual disenchantment, arising from diverse viewpoints over infrastructure development globally but especially in sensitive developing areas such as the stand-off in the South China Sea and elsewhere along the Pacific coastline of Southeast Asia, and the Western Pacific Rim. China seems to be reconstructing its ancient feudal empire, actual or imaginary, in the territory to its South, the ASEAN bloc. This article will address some issues of compatibility and conflict that unite China but that sometimes divide it from the United States and the West, then assesses what alternative strategies should be adopted or abandoned in the interests of global and regional harmony coupled with security. It urges greater cooperation and collaboration, a development of a code of conduct for state behavior in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region, together with a concerted East-West effort to maintain a stable economy for China and a sustainable trade relationship between China, Europe, and North America.(original abstract)
- 1. Ai, John. Hainan, women and children beaten for trying to stop village demolition. "Asia News" (May, 2016). Web. http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Hainan%2C-women-and-children-beaten-for-trying-to-stop-village-demolition--37374.html
- 2. AIIB to Use U.S. Dollar as Settlement Currency: Source. "Yonhapnews" (May, 2015). Web. http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2015/05/04/63/0502000000AEN20150504005100315F.html
- 3. Albert, Eleanor. China's Environmental Crisis, "Council on Foreign Relations" (January, 2016). Web. http://www.cfr.org/china/chinas-environmental-crisis/p12608
- 4. American Psychiatric Association (APA), Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines. Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Bipolar Disorder (April, 2002; 2nd edition November, 2005). Web. http://psychiatryonline.org/pb/assets/raw/sitewide/practice_guidelines/guidelines/bipolar.pdf
- 5. Amnesty International. Annual Report, China (2013). Web. http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/countries/asia-and-the-pacific/china
- 6. Australia Set to Block China Purchase of Iconic Cattle Ranch, AG Web and "Bloomberg News" (April, 2016). Web. http://www.agweb.com/article/australia -set-to-block-china-purchase-of-iconic-cattle-ranch-blmg/
- 7. Babones, Salvatore. China's five year plan fantasy: China's "moderately prosperous society" must be grounded in fiscal reality. "Al-Jazeera" (March, 2016). Web. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/03/china-year-plan-fantasy -160302100819192.html
- 8. Bluestone, Zack. Water Wars: With Tensions Simmering, ASEAN Foreign Ministers Weigh inon South China Sea, "Lawfare" (March, 2016). Web. https://www.lawfareblog.com/water-wars-tensions-simmering-asean-foreign-ministers-weigh-south-china-sea.
- 9. Brown, David. 3rd US aircraft carrier heads toward Asia on previously planned transit. "Washington Examiner" (October, 2017). Web. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/3rd-us-aircraft-carrier-heads-toward-asia-on-previously-planned-transit/article/2638558
- 10. Campbell, Charlie. Almost 500 Students Fall Ill at Posh Chinese School From Toxic Waste Dumped Nearby, "Time" (April, 2016). Web. http://time.com/4298774/china-public-health-toxic-chemicals-pollution-jiangsu-changzhou/.
- 11. Center for American Progress. China's Strengths and Weaknesses 101: U.S. Competitiveness Hinges on Knowing Our Competitors, Center for American Progress (08 February 2011). Web. https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/security/report/2011/02/08/9074/chinas-strengths-and-weaknesses-101/
- 12. Chang, Gordon G. China Credit Squeeze, Defaults Are Signs Of Coming Crisis, "Forbes Opinion" (May, 2016). Web. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonchang/2016/05/22/china-credit-squeeze-defaults-are-signs-of-coming-crisis/