Poland's National Security Policy in a New Regional Security Environment : Case Study : National Security Strategy of Poland (2014)
Military aggression conducted by Russia against Ukraine was a turning point on the scene of international relations, and, particularly, in Europe. The Russian aggression against Ukraine, completed by the illegal occupation and annexation of the Crimean Peninsula represented the first post-Cold War event when a state claimed under the spectrum of force a territory belonging to another state, whose borders are recognised under the international law. Russia's aggression triggered a general concern in Eastern Europe. The Polish leaders were among the first European officials who vehemently condemned Russia's actions. Therefore, this paper aims to explore Poland stance on Russia's military aggression against Ukraine and how the Polish leadership posture is then reflected in the new concept of the national security strategy. Thus, we focus on the National Security Strategy of the Republic of Poland (2014). (original abstract)
- Baldwin, D. (1997). The concept of security. Review of International Studies, 23, pp. 5-26.
- Bienek, P. (2006). Polish Defense Policy in the Context of National Security Strategy. Naval Postgraduate School.
- Binnendijk, H. (2015). Deterring Putin's Russia. In R. Kupiecki & A. A. Michta (Eds.), Transatlantic Relations in a Changing European Security Environment (pp. 21-29). Warsaw / Washington D.C.: Drukarnia Wydawnictw Specjalnych Sztabu Generalnego WP.
- Buckley, N., Khan, J.F., & Cienski, J. (2014, April 1). Poland calls for NATO troops deployment. Retrieved April 16, 2017 from https://www.ft.com/content/3867c08a-b999-11e3-b74f-00144feabdc0
- Buzan, B. (1981). People, States and Fear. United Kingdom: Wheatsheaf Books Ltd.
- Buzan, B. (2011). Securitatea - un nou cadru de analiza. Cluj-Napoca: CA Publishing.
- Ghica, L., & Zulean, M. (2007). Politica de Securitate Națională: concept, instițutii, procese. Bucharest: Polirom.
- Hermann, F.C. (1971). Defining National Security. Retrieved November 12, 2016 from http://www.voxprof.com/cfh/hermann-pubs/Hermann-Defining%20National%20Security.pdf
- Kacprzyk, A. (2015). U.S. Military Presence in Central and Eastern Europe: Consequnces for NATO Strategic Adaptation, Deterrence and Allied Solidarity. The Polish Institute of International Affairs.
- Kennan, F.G. (1985). Morality and Foreign Policy. Foreign Affairs, 64(2), pp. 205-218.
- Kupiecki, R., & Michta, A.A. (2015). Introduction and Executive Summary. In R. Kupiecki & A. A. Michta (Eds.), Transatlantic Relations in a Changing European Security Environment (pp. 7-20). Warsaw / Washington D.C.: Drukarnia Wydawnictw Specjalnych Sztabu Generalnego WP.
- Kupiecki, R., & Michta, A.A. (2015). The Security Dilemmas Facing Central and Eastern Europe, NATO, US and Transatlantic Security Relations. In R. Kupiecki & A.A. Michta (Eds.), Transatlantic Relations in a Changing European Security Environment (pp. 68-79). Warsaw / Washington D.C.: Drukarnia Wydawnictw Specjalnych Sztabu Generalnego WP.
- Missala, A.B. (2016). Poland's Foreign ans Security Policy: main directions. UNISCI Journal.
- Morgenthau, J.H. (1949). National Interest and Moral Principles in Foreign Policy. The American Scholar, 18(2), pp. 207-2012.
- National Defense Strategy of the Republic of Poland. (2009). Warsaw. Retrieved June 17, 2017 from https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/156791/Poland%202009.pdf
- National Security Strategy. (2014). Warsaw. Retrieved June 17, 2017 from https://www.bbn.gov.pl/ftp/dok/NSS_RP.pdf
- Nowak, M.J. (2010). Poland's Security Policy in a Unstable World. Nacao e Defensa, 125, pp. 33-48.
- O'Donnell, C.M. (2012). Poland's U-Turn on European Defence: a Missed Opportunity. Center for European Reform. Policy Brief.
- Phillip, A.K., & Phillip, A.P. (2016). The Eastern Front in NATO Strategy - End of Interregnum. In K. Redlowska & J.A. Larsen (Eds.), NATO. Rethinking. Realign. React. Tackling Security Challenges Together (pp. 31-44). Warsaw: IPRESS Studio.
- Poland's new president calls for stronger NATO presence to counter Russia (2015, August 6). Warsaw. Retrieved April 16, 2017 from https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/06/poland-president-andrzej-duda-stronger-nato-presence-counter-russia
- Polish Foreign Policy Priorities 2012-2016. (2012, March). Retrieved June 18, 2017 from http://www.msz.gov.pl/resource/d31571cf-d24f-4479-af09-c9a46cc85cf6:JCR
- Ullman, R. (1983). Redefinind Security. International Security, 8(1), pp. 129-153.
- Wolfers, A. (1952). "National Security" as an Ambiguous Symbol. Political Science Quarterly, 67(4), pp. 481-502.