Effect of Psychosocial Factors on Organisational Citizenship Behaviour Among Graduate Employees in Nigeria
The study investigated the effect of psychosocial factors on organisational citizenship behaviour among some graduate employees in Nigeria, using the positivist explanatory cross-sectional research design, and a structured and validated questionnaire to systematically sample opinions of 1,532 male and female graduate employees across the various sectors of the nation's economy. The results of the statistical analysis of data collected showed that graduate employees in senior job positions expressed a significant higher level of organisational citizenship behaviour than their counterparts in junior job positions (t = 3.343, df (1530) p <.01); there is a significant interaction effect of single, married, divorce and widow/widower on organisational citizenship behaviour F (3,1528) = 3.33; P<.05; there was a significant positive relationship between psychological capital and organisational citizenship behaviour (r = 0.588, p<0.01); there was a significant positive relationship between emotional intelligence and organisational citizenship behaviour (r = 0.473, p<0.01); there was a significant positive relationship between psychological capital and emotional intelligence (r = 0.493, p<0.01). The study recommended that human resource managers should constantly facilitate seminar programmes and training schemes where employees could be more oriented on the importance of organisational citizenship behaviour, and learn to develop psychological capital and emotional intelligence. (original abstract)
- Ali-Shah, T. & Ali-Shah, S.Z. (2016). Combined Effects of Psychological Capital and Psychological Contract on Employees' Job Level Outcomes. European Journal of Business and Management, 8(26), 5-19.
- Alizadeh, Z., darvishi, S., Nazari, N. & Emami, M. (2012). Antecedents and Consequences of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour (OCB). Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research, 3(9), 494-505.
- Allen, T.D. (2015). Rewarding Good Citizens: The Relationship between Citizenship Behaviour, Gender and Organisational Rewards. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 36(1), 120-143.
- Argentero, P., Cortese, C.G. & Ferretti, M.S. (2008). Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: Podsakoff et al.'s scale. TPM, 15(2), 61-75.
- Asha, C. S. & Jyothi, P. (2013). Internal Branding: A Determining Element of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour. The Journal of Contemporary Management Research, 7(1), 37-57.
- Bhattacherjee, A. (2012). Social Science Research: Principle, Methods and Practices. Textbook collection. Athens: Book 3. http://scholarcommons.usf.edu/oa_textbooks/3
- Boerrigter, C.M.M. (2017). What Makes Employees Highly Engaged and Performing? Leaders' Emotional Intelligence, Service Climate and Psychological Capital. Master Thesis, Department of Change Management & Organisational Behaviour, University of Twente.
- Cameron, S. & Nadler, J. (2013). Gender Roles and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: Effects on Managerial Evaluations. International Journal of Gender in Management, 28(7), 380-399.
- Chahal, H. & Mehta, S. (2010). Antecedents and Consequences of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour (OCB): A Conceptual Framework in Reference to Health Care Sector. Review of Journal of Services Research, 10(2), 25.
- Chib, S. (2016). Study on Organisational Commitment and Workplace Empowerment as Predictors of Organisation Citizenship Behaviour. International Journal of Management & Development, 3(3), 63-73.
- Chiu, S., Lin, S.T. & Han, T.S. (2015). Employment Status and Employee Service-Oriented Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: The Mediating Roles of Internal Mobility Opportunity and Job Insecurity. Career Development International, 20(2), 133-146.
- Cho, S. & Johanson, M.M. (2008). Organisational Citizenship Behaviour and Employee Performance: A Moderating Effect of Work Status in Restaurant Employees, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 32(3), 307-326.
- Dolan, S.L., Tzafrir, SS. & Baruch, Y. (2013). Testing the Causal Relationships between Procedural Justice, Trust and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour. Available from: http://www.reims-ms.fr/agrh/docs/actes-agrh/pdf-des-actes/2005dolantzafrir054.pdf
- Duffy, J.A. & Lilly, J. (2015). Do Individual Needs Moderate the Relationship between Organisational Citizenship Behaviour, Organisational Trust and Perceived Organisational Support? Journal of Behavioural & Applied Management, 14(3), 185-197.
- Elstad, E., Christophersen, K.A. & A. Turmo, A. (2012). The Strength of Accountability and Teachers' Organisational Citizenship Behaviour. Journal of Educational Administration 50(5), 612-628.
- Ersoy, N.C., Derous, E., Born, M.P. & Van der Molen, H.T. (2015). Antecedents of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour among Turkish White-Collar Employees in the Netherlands and Turkey. Review of International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 49, 68-79.
- Farrell, M. A. & Oczkowski, E. (2012). Organisational Identification and Leader Member Exchange Influences on Customer Orientation and Organisational Citizenship Behaviours. Review of Journal of Strategic Marketing, 20(4), 365-377.
- Farzianpour, F., Foroushani, A.R., Kamjoo, H. & Hosseini, S.S. (2011). Organisational citizenship behaviour (OCB) among the managers of teaching hospitals. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration 3(3), 534-542.
- Fatimah, O., Amiraa, A.M. & Halim F.W. (2011). The Relationships between Organisational Justice, Organisational Citizenship Behaviour and Job Satisfaction. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities, 19(S), 115-121.
- Halbesleben, J.R.B., Bowler, W.M., Bolino, M.C. & Turnley, W.H. (2010). Organisational Concern, Prosocial Values, or Impression Management? How Supervisors Attribute Motives to Organisational Citizenship Behaviour. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 40, 1450-1489.
- Huang, J., Wang, L. & Xie, J. (2014). Leader-Member Exchange and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: The Roles of Identification with Leader and Leader's Reputation, Social Behaviour & Personality: An international journal, 42(10), 1699-1711.
- Iranzadeh, S. & Asadi, N. (2009). The Study of Relationship of Citizenship Behaviour and Organisational Justice with Job Happiness among the Staff of Mohagheghe Ardabili University. Farasooye Modiriyat Journal, 3(10), 43-75.
- Irshad, R. & Hashmi, M.S. (2014). How Transformational Leadership is Related to Organisational Citizenship Behaviour? The Mediating Role of Emotional Intelligence. Pakistan Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences, 8(2), 413-425.
- Kaya, A. (2015). The Relationship between Spiritual Leadership and Organisational Citizenship Behaviours: A Research on School Principals' Behaviours. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 15(3), 597-60.
- Koopman, J., Lanaj, K. & Scott, B.A. (2016). Integrating the Bright and Dark Sides of OCB: A Daily Investigation of the Benefits and Costs of Helping Others. Review of Academy of Management Journal, 59(2), 414-435.
- Liu,Y.S. & Qu, H. (2011). The Relationships among Work Support, Organisational Commitment, and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour of Part-time Employees in the Restaurant Industry. International CHRIE Conference-Refereed Track.
- Luthans, F., Avolio, B.J., Avey, J.B., & Norman, S.M. (2007). Psychological Capital: Measurement and Relationship with Performance and Satisfaction. Personnel Psychology, 60, 541-572.
- Mahnaz, M.A., Mehdi, M., Jafar, K.M. and Abbolghasem, P. (2013). The Effect of Demographic Characteristics on Organisational Citizenship Behaviour in the Selected Teaching Hospitals in Tehran. African Journal of Business Management, 7, 3324-3331, 14 September, 2013 DOI: 10.5897/AJBM2013.7117.
- Mazzi, C. (2011). Family Business and Financial Performance: Current State of Knowledge and Future Research Challenges. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 2(3), 166-181.
- Mitonga-Monga, J., Flotman, A. & Cilliers, F.V.N. (2017). Organisational Citizenship Behaviour among Railway Employees in a Developing Country: Effects of Age, Education and Tenure. Southern African Business Review, 21, 1998-8125.
- Mohammad A.B., Razieh, M., Saeed, H.G. & Arefeh, D.T. (2013). Demographic Determinants of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour among Hospital Employees. Global Business and Management Research: An International Journal, 5(4).
- Nadiri, H. & Tanova, C. (2010). An Investigation of the Role of Justice in Turnover Intentions, Job Satisfaction, and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour in Hospitality Industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 29(1), 33-41.
- Nasurdin, A.M. & Nejati, K.M (2013). Workplace Spirituality and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: Exploring Gender as a Moderator. South African Journal of Business Management, 44(1), 61-74 DOI: 10.4102/sajbm.v44i1.148.
- North Carolina Center for Public Health Preparedness (2013). Two-stage cluster sampling: General guidance for use in public health assessments. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Organ, D.W. (1988). Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: The Good Soldier Syndrome. Lexington, MA: Lexington Books.
- Oweke, J.A., Muola, J. & Ngumi, O. (2014). Relationship between gender and levels of occupational stress among Police Constables in Kisumu County, Kenya. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), 19 (11), 21-26.
- Paul, H., Bamel, U.K. & Garg, P. (2016) Employee Resilience and OCB: Mediating Effects of Organisational Commitment. The Journal for Decision Makers 41(4), 308-324.
- Philip, P.J., Kumar, R. & Choudhary, N. (2012). Relationship between Organisational Citizenship Behaviour and Organisational Justice at Work Place. Ninth AIMS International Management, 2(8).
- Pradhan, R.K., Jena, L.K. & Bhattacharya, P. (2016). Impact of Psychological Capital on Organisational Citizenship Behavior: Moderating Role of Emotional Intelligence. Cogent Business & Management, 3(1), 1-16.
- Profili, S., Sammarra, A. & Innocenti, L. (2016). Can Age Make a Difference? A Moderated Model of Altruistic Organisational Citizenship Behaviour Antecedents. Int. Journal of Business Science and Applied Management, 11 (1).
- Sahafi, E., Danaee, H., Sariak, A.M. & Haghollahi, F. (2011). The Impact of Emotional Intelligence on Citizenship Behaviour of Physicians with Emphasis on Infertility Specialists. Journal of Family and Reproductive Health, 5(4), 109-115.
- Seyal, A.H., Afzaal, T. & Chin, S.T.S. (2012). Assessing Emotional Intelligence and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour among Executives: Examples from Brunesian SMEs. International Business Management, 6(4), 476-486.
- Shaheen, S., Bukhari, I., & Adil, A. (2016). Moderating Role of Psychological Capital between Perceived Organisational Support and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour and Its Dimensions. International Journal of Research Studies in Psychology, 5(2), 41-50.
- Sharma; J.P., Bajpai, N. & Hollani, U. (2011). Organisational Citizenship Behaviour in Public and Private Sector and Its Impact on Job Satisfaction: A Comparative Study in Indian Perspective, International Journal of Business and Management, 6(1).
- Shirsavar, H.R. & Souri, A. (2015). Studying Relationship of Emotional Intelligence and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour of Boys' Secondary School Teachers of District 5 of Tehran. American Journal of Educational Science, 1(4), 110-116.
- Shukla, A., & Singh, S. (2013). Psychological Capital & Citizenship Behaviour: Evidence from Telecom Sector in India. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 49(1), 97-111.
- Taghinezhad, F., Safavi, M., Raiesifar, A. & Yahyavi, S.H. (2015). Antecedents of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour among Iranian Nurses: A Multicenter Study. Review of BMC Research Notes, 8(1), 1.
- Tavazo, L., Taherparvar, N., Noyani, A. & Paeezi, M. (2016). The Effect of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour on Proactive Environmental Strategies in Medicine Emergency Students. International Journal of Humanities and Cultural Studies, 7, 2396-2412.
- The Research Advisors (2006). http://research-advisors.com.
- Tofighi, M., Tirgari, B., Fooladvandi, M., Rasouli, F. & Jalali, M. (2015). Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour. Ethiop J Health Sci, 25(1), 79-88.
- Tom-Jack, P.I. (2016). The Evolving Geopolitical Relations of Nigeria and China: What is the Teachers, Pupils, and the School? International Journal of Educational, 23, 275-389.
- Unal, O.F. (2013). Relationship between the Dimensions of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour and the Facets of Job Satisfaction (an impirical study in a group of companies in Turkey). WEI International Academic Conference Proceedings, Anyalya, Turkey. January 14-16, 2013.
- Yaghoubi, M., Yarmohammadian, M.H., Raeisi, A.R., Javadi, M., Saghaiannejad, S. & Isfahani, S. (2010). The Relationship between the Organisational Justice and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour among Medical Records Staffs of Selected Hospitals of Isfahan. Health information management, special issue, 506-515.
- Yaghoubi, N., Salehi, M. & Moloudi, J. (2011). Improving Service Quality by Using Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: Iranian Evidence. Iranian Journal of Management, 4(2).
- Yen, C.H. & Teng, H.Y. (2013). The Effect of Centralization on Organisational Citizenship Behaviour and Deviant Workplace Behaviour in the Hospitality Industry. Tourism Management, 36, 401-410.
- Zeinabadi, H. (2010). Job Satisfaction and Organisational Commitment as Antecedents of Organisational Citizenship Behaviour of Teachers. Review of Procedia-Social and Behavioural Sciences, 5, 998-1003.