Measuring Agility of Indian Automotive Small & Medium Sized Enterprises (SMes)
Indian SMEs are going to play pivotal role in transforming Indian economy and achievingdouble digit growth rate in near future. Performance of Indian SMEs is vital in makingIndia as a most preferred manufacturing destination worldwide under India's "Make in India Policy". Current research was based on Indian automotive SMEs. Indian automotive SME smust develop significant agile capability in order to remaincompetitive in highly uncertainglobal environment. One of the objectives of the research was to find various enablers ofagility through literature survey. Thereafter questionnaire administered exploratory factoranalysis was performed to extract various factors of agility relevant in Indian automotive SMEs environment. Multiple regression analysis was applied to assess the relative importanceof these extracted factors. "Responsiveness" was the most important factor followed by"Ability to reconfigure", "Ability to collaborate", and "Competency". Thereafter fuzzy logicbases algorithm was applied to assess the current level of agility of Indian automotive SMEs.It was found as "Slightly Agile", which was the deviation from the targeted level of agility.Fuzzy ranking methodology facilitated the identification &criticalities of various barriersto agility, so that necessary measures can be taken to improve the current agility level of Indian automotive SMEs. The current research may helpful infinding; key enablers of agility,assessing the level of agility, and ranking of the various enablers of agility to point out theweak zone of agility so that subsequent corrective action may be taken in any industrialenvironment similar to India automotive SMEs.(original abstract)
- Sharifi H., Zhang Z., A methodology for achieving agility in manufacturing organisations: an introduction, International Journal of Production Economics, 62, 1, 16, 1999.
- Tiwari R.K., Tiwari J.K., Green lean manufacturing: Way to sustainable productivity improvement, International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science, 4, 6, 243-262, 2016.
- Lin Ching-Torng, Hero Chiu, Yi-Hong Tseng, Agility evaluation using fuzzy logic, International Journal of Production Economics, 101, 2, 353-368, 2006.
- Gunasekaran A., Yusuf Y.Y., Agile manufacturing: a taxonomy of strategic and technological imperatives, International Journal of Production Research, 40, 6, 1357-1385, 2002.
- Goldman S.L., Nagel R.N., Preiss K., Book excerpt: agile competitors and virtual organizations, Manufacturing Review, 8, 1, 59-67, 1995.
- Sharifi H., Zhang Z., Agile manufacturing in practice - application of a methodology, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 21, 5, 23, 2001.
- Emmett S., Crocker B., The relationship-driven supply chain: creating a culture of collaboration throughout the chain, CRC Press, 2016.
- Luzzini D., Brandon-Jones E., Brandon-Jones A., Spina G., From sustainability commitment to performance: the role of intra-and inter-firm collaborative capabilities in the upstream supply chain, International Journal of Production Economics, 165, 51-63, 2015.
- Reason J., Managing the risks of organizational accidents, Routledge, 2016.
- Fayezi S., Zutshi A., O'Loughlin A., How Australian manufacturing firms perceive and understand the concepts of agility and flexibility in the supply chain, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 35, 2, 246-281, 2015.
- Sindhwani R., Malhotra V., Modelling and analysis of agile manufacturing system by ISM and MIC- MAC analysis, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, 1-11, 2016.
- Dove R., Best agile practice reference base-1994: challenge models and benchmarks, [in:] Proc. 4th Annual Agility Conference, Agility Forum, Bethlehem, PA, March 1995.
- Zsifkovits H.E., Engelhardt-Nowitzki C., An analysis of frameworks for measuring supply chain agility, 2007.
- Arteta B.M., Giachetti R.E., A measure of agility as the complexity of the enterprise system, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 20, 6, 495-503, 2004.
- Jackson M., Johansson C., An agility analysis from a production system perspective, Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 14, 6, 482-488, 2003.
- Ren J., Yusuf Y.Y., Burns N.D., A prototype of measurement system for agile enterprise, [in:] The Third International Conference of Quality Reliability Maintenance, pp. 29-30, March 2000.
- Tsourveloudis N.C., Valavanis K.P., On the measurement of enterprise agility, Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, 33, 3, 329-342, 2002.
- Yang S.L., Li T.F., Agility evaluation of mass customization product manufacturing, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 129, 1, 640-644, 2002.
- Vinodh S., Prakash N.H., Selvan K.E., Evaluation of agility in supply chains using fuzzy association rules mining, International Journal of Production Research, 49, 22, 6651-6661, 2011.
- Jain V., Benyoucef L., Deshmukh S.G., A new approach for evaluating agility in supply chains using fuzzy association rules mining, Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 21, 3, 367-385, 2008.
- Singh R.K., Developing the framework for coordination in supply chain of SMEs, Business Process Management Journal, 17, 4, 619-638, 2011.
- Vinodh S., Devadasan S.R., Twenty criteria based agility assessment using fuzzy logic approach, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 54, 9-12, 1219-1231, 2011.
- Shih Y.C., Lin C.T., Agility index of manufacturing firm-A fuzzy-logic-based approach, [in:] IEEE International Engineering Management Conference, 1, 465-470, 2002.
- Khoshsima G., A model for measuring organizational agility in Iran television manufacturing industry: a fuzzy logic framework, [in:] IEMC'03 Proceedings. Managing Technologically Driven Organizations: The Human Side of Innovation and Change, pp. 354-358, November 2003.
- Nejatian M., Zarei M.H., Moving towards organizational agility: Are we improving in the right direction?, Global Journal of Flexible Systems Management, 14, 4, 241-253, 2013.