Control and Integration of Milk-Run Operation in Japanese Automotive Company in Indonesia
The implementation of milk-run in Indonesia has been started since 2005. As a developing country, there is a challenge to operate milk-run smoothly especially in urban area due to severe traffic congestion and unfavourable road condition in some areas. This research aimed to analyze the practice of milk-run operation in one of the biggest Japanese automotive companies in Indonesia. Transportation Value Stream Mapping (TVSM) is applied in order to perform just-in-time delivery in the supply chain before operating milk-run. It is discussed that this company still need to continue in improving milk-run operation. The operation system needs control and integration from manufacturer, supplier and logistics partner. The advantage of milk-run operation is cost reduction and also support green logistics in decreasing emission of carbondioxide (CO2) by reducing the number of trucks used. (original abstract)
- Holtskog, H., Continuous Improvement beyond the Lean understanding, Procedia CIRP 7, 575-579, 2013.
- Satayapaisal A., Takala J., Wiriyacosol S., Chansa- ngavej C., Critical performance attributes of Thai automotive supply chains, Management and Production Engineering Review, 3, 2, 36-48, 2012.
- Sillanpää I., Kess P., The literature review of supply chain performance measurement in the manufacturing industry, Management and Production Engineering Review, 3, 2, 79-88, 2012.
- Sitek P., Wikarek J., Mathematical programming model of cost optimization for supply chain from perspective of logistics provider, Management and Production Engineering Review, 3, 2, 49-61, 2012.
- Prabhu N.S., Rajenthirakumar D.,Development of lean assembly line using 5S and RFID technique, International Journal of Engineering, 15, 2, 185-188, 2017.
- Aksoy A., Ozturk N., A two-stage method to optimize the milk-run system, European Journal of Engineering Research and Science, 1, 3, 7-11, 2016.
- de Moura D.A., Botter R.C., Delivery and pick-up problemtransportation - milk run or conventional system, Independent Journal of Management & Production, 7, 3, 746-770, 2016.
- Baudin M., Lean logistics: the nuts and bolts of delivering materials and goods, Belgium: Productivity Press, 2005.
- Jiang Z., Huang Y., Wang J., Routing for the milk-run pickup system in automobile part supply, Preceedings AISC, 66, 1267-1275, 2010, Springer- link.com.
- Caridade R., Pereira T., Ferreira L.P., Silva F.J.G., Analysis and optimisation of a logistic warehouse in the automotive industry, Procedia Manufacturing, 13, 1096-1103, 2017.
- Bagheri O., Mansouri A., Rostami M., Implementation of milk run logistic vehicle cooling system pride KIA parts, Journal of Fundamental and Applied Sciences, 8, 3S, 2307-2325, 2016.
- Monden Y., Toyota production system, Diamond Publishing, 2006.
- Xu Q.H., Milk run practice and application about cycle pick up model in Shangahi GM, (J) Automotive Accessories, 2003.
- Rother M., Shook J., Learning to see: value stream mapping to add value and eliminate muda, Cambridge: The Lean Enterprise Institute, Inc., Brookline, 2003.
- Nemoto T., Hayashi K., Hashimoto M., Milk-run logistics by Japanese automobile manufacturers in Thailand, Procedia Social Behavioral Sciences, 2, 5980-5989, 2010.
- Satoh I., A specification framework for earth-friendly logistics, International Conference on Formal Techniques for Networked and Distributed Systems, Berlin, 251-266, 2008.
- White A.S., Censlive M., An alternative state-space representation for APVIOBPCS inventory systems, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 24, 4, 588-614, 2013.
- You Z., Jiao Y., Development and application of milk-run distribution systems in the express industry based on saving algorithm, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Volume 2014, 1-6, 2014.
- Hernandez J.E., Poler R., Mula J., Lario F.C., The reverse logistic process of an automobile supply chain network supported by a collaborative decisionmaking model, Group Decision and Negotiation, 20, 79-114, 2011.
- Gorman M.F.,Clarke, J.P., Gharehgozli A.H., Hewitt M., Koster R., Roy D., State of the practice: a review of the application of OR/MS in freight transportation, Interfaces, 44, 6, 535-554, 2014.
- Drira A., Pierreval H., Hajri-Gabouj S., Facility layout problems: a survey, Annual Reviews in Control, 31, 255-267, 2007.
- Conze M., Sailer T., Gunthner W.A, Combined call- off and transport control for milk run based on order pearl chain in the vehicle sector, International Journal of Engineering, 11, 1, 137-142, 2013.
- Zotteri G., An empirical investigation on causes and effects of the bullwhip effect: evidence from the personal care sector, International Journal of Production Economics, 143, 489-498, 2013.
- Villarreal B., A lean thinking and simulation-based approach for the improvement of routing operations, Industrial Management & Data Systems, 116, 5, 903-925, 2016.
- Bennet D., Klug F., Logistics supplier integration in the automotive industry, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 32, 11, 1281-1305, 2012.
- Fuentes J.M., Diaz M.S., Jurado P. J.M., Cooperation in the supplychain and lean production adoption evidence from the Spanish automotive industry, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 32, 9, 1075-1096, 2012.
- Villarreal B., The transportation value stream map (TVSM), European J. Industrial Engineering, 6, 2, 216-233, 2012.