Citizens' Participation and Participatory Governance in the EU
In a complex and rapidly changing global order continuous political courage, inspiration and citizen-centric practices are needed to shape and strengthen the values that are connected with the EU. We clearly affirm the value premises of the EU as a community responsible for security and stability and for guaranteeing the welfare and well-being of its citizens. The paper is structured in 3 parts: The first part focusses on the importance of citizens' participation and citizens' dialogue in the future developments of the EU. Growing complexity and interconnection between and within societies have become intrinsic characteristics of European societies, impacting the dialogue of institutions with citizens. In a second part, the paper deals with participatory democracy and civil dialogue as legally embedded concepts in the Lisbon Treaty. This implies an analysis and assessment of the phased development of EU practices in participatory democracy and civil dialogue. The last part concerns the instruments and practices of participatory governance that the EU has developed to respond to the citizens' demands for a more values-based community.(original abstract)
- A genuine European Union to ensure welfare, security and democracy, March for Europe, http://www.marchforeurope2017.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/ 02/Appeal-EU-Re-foundation__EN.pdf.
- A Roadmap for a better civil dialogue at EU level agreed upon at the NGO Forum in Riga, http://ecas.org/roadmap-better-civil-dialogue-agreedupon-ngo-forum-riga. Bekemans L., A
- Values-driven Education for Intercultural Dialogue, in: Identity Issues and Intercultural Challenges. A European and Global Perspective on Peace in the World, ed. Moccia, L. Abdulaziz Saud Al-Babtain Cultural Foundation, Kuwait 2017.
- Bekemans L., European concerns, reflections and perspectives, in: M.Simeoni, Europe or not? Multiple Conversations with Alberto Martinelli, Vittorio Cotesta, Alain Touraine, Nadia Urbinati, Brussels-Bern 2016.
- Bekemans L., The Role of Education in the rethinking of Europe in a global perspective, "Educatio Catholica, Populorum progressio and education", Congregation for Catholic Education, Roma, Anno III, 1-2, 2017.
- Bekemans L., Role and Responsibilities of educational institutions and strategies for intercultural citizenship education in a globalising world, Berlin: Dialogue of Civilizations Research Institute, Dec. 2016.
- Bekemans L., Territorial Cooperation and Multi-level Goverrnance; The Stimulating Role of the Committee of the Regions, in: L. Bekemans, Globalisation vs Europeanistion. A Human-centric Interaction, P.I.E. Peter Lang, Brussels-Bern 2013.
- The Charter of the United Nations, http://www.un.org/en/sections/uncharter/ introductory-note/index.html.
- Comparative Analysis Of Hobbes Locke And Rousseau Philosophy Essay, November 2013. Retrieved from https://www.google.it/?vref=1.
- Cooke B., Kothari U., The case for participation as tyranny: Participation: the New Tyranny? in: Participation: the New Tyranny? London 2001.
- Desse F., Challenges for Europe in the world in 2030, The Role and Structure of Civil Society Organizations in National and Global Governance Evolution and outlook between now and 2030, AUGUR, European Commission (2012), Project no. SSH-CT-2009-244565.
- Eleven One Austria, Austrian Institute for European Law and Policy, https://legalpolicy.org/2015/12/06/eleven-one-austria.
- European Economic and Social Committee on Civil Dialogue, Opinion of the EESC 535/2001.
- Final Report on the EESC's Online Tool "My Europe. Tomorrow Bridging the Gap between Europe and its citizens", eds. J. Pichler, A. Wolfschwenger, "Publications of Legal Policy Publications of the Austrian Institute for European Law and Policy", vol. 38/2015, http://portal. eesc.europa.eu/myeurope/Pages/aboutmyeurope.aspx.
- Pichler J., Civil dialogue and Participatory Democracy in the EU Institutions, Visits and Publications Unit EESC, Brussels 2015.
- Pichler J., Hinghofer S., Pichler P., Civil Dialogue and Participatory Democracy in the Practice of the European Union Institutions, "NWV", Vienna 2016.
- Pedraza-Fariña L., Conceptions Of Civil Society in International Lawmaking and Implementation: A Theoretical Framework, "Michigan Journal of International Law", vol. 34, is. 3/2013.
- Public Administration of the 21st century, European Commission, http:// www.eismd.eu/reisearch.
- Salamon L. et al., Global Civil Society: Dimensions of the Nonprofit Sector, "The Johns Hopkins Center for Civil Society Studies", Baltimore, MD, vol. 2/2004.
- Van den Brande L., Reaching Out to EU Citizens: A New Opportunity "about Us, with Us, for Us", Publications Office of the European Union: Brussels, October 2017.
- White Paper on European Governance, Brussels, COM(2001) 428 final, Brussels 25/07/2001.