Morals in the United States of America : Are They in Their Death Throes?
This article explores the ethics of large complex systems in the United States of America in three major case studies: the food industry, the pharmaceutical industry and the political/governmental institutions. Using the simple Aristotelian heuristic of good sense, good character and good will, the conclusion is that ethics is not a high priority due in large part to the relentless pursuit of large sums of money at any cost. (original abstract)
- Barber, B. (2007). Consumed: How markets corrupt children, infantilize adults, and swallow citizens whole. New York: W.W. Norton & Company.
- Berr, J. (2016, November 8). Election 2016's price tag: $6.8 billion. CBS News Moneywatch. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/election-2016s-price-tag-6-8-billion/
- Brennan Center for Justice. (2018, June 4). Money in Politics. https://www.bren nancenter.org/issues/money-politics
- Center for Disease Control (2015) Nutrition and health are closely related. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/introduction/nutrition-and-health-are-closely-related/
- Compton, K. (2018). Big pharma and medical device manufacturers. Drug Watch.com. https://www.drugwatch.com/manufacturers/
- Dikizi, S., Saritas, A., Basir, F. H., & Taski, A. H. (2013). Case report: Do energy drinks cause epileptic seizure and ischemic stroke? American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 31, 274.e1-274.e4. https://www.ajemjournal.com/article/S0735-6757(12)00244-6/pdf
- Eat this not that. (n.d.). https://www.eatthis.com/foods-that-make-you-hungry/
- Freudenberg, N. (2014). Lethal but legal: Corporations, consumption, and pro-tecting public health. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Fuller, G. (2011). Food product development: From concept to marketplace (3rd Edition). Baton Rouge, LA: CRC Press.
- Harris, G. (2011, April 3). Colorless food? We blanch. New York Times. https:// www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/weekinreview/03harris.html
- Johns, S. K., & Strand, C. A. (2000). Survey results of the ethical beliefs of busi-ness students. Journal of Education for Business, July/Aug, 315-319.
- Kay, K. (2017, November 1). Drug overdoses are leading cause of death for those under 50: U.S. drug epidemic brings alarming death toll and orphaned children. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/counseling-keys/201711/drug-overdoses-are-leading-cause-death-those-under-50
- Kessler, D. (2009). The end of overeating: Taking control of the insatiable Ameri-can appetite. New York: Rodale.
- Lieberman, D. E. (2012, June 6). Evolution's sweet tooth. New York Times, A27.
- Lupkin, S. (2016, August 23). 5 Reasons prescription drug prices are so high in the U.S. Kaiser Health News, 2016. http://time.com/money/4462919/prescription-drug-prices-too-high/
- Maguire, R. (2018). $1 million mystery gift to Trump inauguration traced to con-servative legal activists. Open Secrets News May 14, 2018. https://www. opensecrets.org/news/2018/05/mystery-gift-to-trump-inauguration-from-conservative-activists/
- Massoglia, A., & West, G. (2018, August 8). Foreign interests have spent over $530 million influencing US policy, public opinion since 2017. Open Secrets News. https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2018/08/foreign-interests-fara-lobby-watch-exclusive/
- Moynihan, R., Heath, I., & Henry, D. (2002, April 13). Selling sickness: The phar-maceutical industry and disease mongering. BMJ, 324(7342), 886-891.
- National Institute for Health. (2018). Opioid overdose crisis. https://www.drug abuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-overdose-crisis
- Simon, G. W. (2017, September 20). The opioid crisis can't be blamed on Big Pharma alone. National Review. https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/09/opioid-epidemic-big-pharma-not-solely-blame/
- Welch, A. (2015, May 4). Food flavorings may be fueling obesity epidemic. CBS NEWS.com. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/food-flavorings-may-be-fueli ng-obesity-epidemic/