Diagnosing Resistance to Change in the Change Management Process
This article explains the change management process and resistance to organizational change through examining causes of resistance to change, diagnosing them, and finding the ways to deal with resistance to change. In business environment, the one thing any company can be assured of is change. If an organization experiences change it may also need to implement new business strategies, which can create resistance among employees. Managers need to know in which phase they have to expect unusual situations, problems, and resistance to change. Most successful organizations are those that are able to adjust themselves to new conditions quickly. Preparing for change, managing change through resistance management plan and reinforcing change have been identified in the article as the main phrases of change management process that lead to improve the organization performance. Managing resistance to change is important part for success of any change effort in each company. Dealing with resistance in large part will depend on timely recognition of the real causes of resistance to change and finding the ways to reduce, overcome or eliminate the resistance to change. Developing efficient ways to introduce and implement change can ease the stress the staff feels when change is introduced. Different resistance states, causes of change resistance and forms of change resistance have been emphasized in the change management process. The proposed diagnosing model has been used to identify significant and weighty causes of resistance to change by using the expert survey and ranking causes of resistance to change. The ways to reduce and overcome resistance to change have been explained. (original abstract)
- Anderson, D. L. (2010). Organization Development: The Process of Leading Organizational Change. SAGE Publications Inc.
- Andrushkiv, B., Vovk, J., Pohaydak, O., & Fedyshyn, I. (2011). Crisis of Relationship in General Theory of Crisis. Journal of International Studies, 4(1), 18-25.
- Cummings, T. G., & Worley, C. G. (2009). Organization Development and Change. Cengage Learning.
- Harigopal, K. (2006). Management of Organizational Change: Leveraging Transformation. SAGE Publications.
- Kondalkar, V. G. (2013). Organization Effectiveness and Change Management. PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
- Kuzhda, T. (2013). Etapy uspishnogo upravlinia organizatsiynymy zminamy na pidpryemstvi. [Steps for successful organizational change management at the enterprise]. Galytskyi ekonomochnyi visnyk = Galician economic bulletin, 2(41), 66-72. [in Ukrainian].
- Kuzmin, O. (Ed.) (2014). Upravlinia zminamy [Change management]. Lvivska Politechnika. Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Lysun, Y.V., & Mikh, O.M. (2015) Formuvania systemy upravlinia zminamy na pidpryemstvi yak chynnyk strategichnogo partnerstva [Formation of the change management system in the enterprise as a factor of strategic partnership]. Naukovyi visnyk Mignorodnogo humanitarnogo universytetu = Scientific Journal of International Humanitarian University, 2(14), 97-100. [in Ukrainian].
- McCalman, J., Paton, R.A. & Siebert, S. (2016). Change Management: A Guide to Effective Implementation. 4th edition. Sage: London UK.
- Oleksiv, I., & Lisovych T. (2013). Teoretychni zasady zdiysnenia organizatsiyno-ekonomichnych zmin na pidpryemstvi [Theoretical foundations for performing organizational and economic changes on the enterprise]. Lviv Polytechnic National University, 77-82. [in Ukrainian].
- Pashchenko, O. (2014). Suchasni metody upravlinia zminamy na pidpryemstvi [The modern methods of change management at the enterprise]. Visnyk Zhytomyrskogo derzhavnogo technologichnogo universytetu = Zhytomyr State Technological University Bulletin, Series Economic Science, 3, 170-178. [in Ukrainian].
- Petrova, I., & Polishchuk, V. (2008). Upravlinia zminamy [Change management]. Lviv. Ukraine. [in Ukrainian].
- Reiss, M. (2012). Change Management: A Balanced and Blended Approach. Books on Demand.
- Stepanenko, S.V. (2016). Formuvania mechanizmu upravlinia organizatsiynymy zminamy [Formation of organizational change management mechanism]. Actual problems of innovative economy, 3, 60-67. [in Ukrainian].