Non-homogenic User-generated Content in Tourism
The aim of the article is to analyze destinations popular due to the number of contents generated by users in comparison to destination management organizations (DMO). The author conducted a comparative analysis of the number of user-generatedcontent (UGC) in social media, divided into a tourist social network and general-interest network for destinations based on the DMO ranking. The study used a netnographic method based on the destinations in Finland. The study used 12 destinations from the Lapland area, which are characterized by a unique name. The conclusions based on 57,375 reviews and 797,874 posts referring to these destinations indicate large disparities, both in their general number and also in relation to individual regions. However, the study confirmed the relationship between the values in these services. This indicates the validity of content analysis published by users in social media in order to analyze consumer behavior and the image shape of the places. (original abstract)
- Bahtar A.Z., Muda M. (2016), The Impact of User - Generated Content (UGC) on Product Reviews towards Online Purchasing - A Conceptual Framework, "Procedia Economics and Finance", No. 37, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30134-4.
- Buhalis D., Foerste M. (2015), SoCoMo marketing for travel and tourism: Empowering co-creation of value, "Journal of Destination Marketing & Management", No. 4, iss. 3, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2015.04.001.
- Cohen E., Cohen S.A. (2012), Current sociological theories and issues in tourism, "Annals of Tourism Research", No. 39, Iss. 4, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals. 2012.07.009.
- Fatanti M.N., Suyadnya I.W. (2015), Beyond User Gaze: How Instagram Creates Tourism Destination Brand?, "Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences", No. 211, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.11.145.
- Geurin A.N., Burch L.M. (2017), User-generated branding via social media: An examination of six running brands, "Sport Management Review", No. 20, Iss. 3, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smr.2016.09.001.
- Hannam K., Butler G., Paris C.M. (2014), Developments and key issues in tourism mobilities, "Annals of Tourism Research", No. 44, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals. 2013.09.010.
- Hudson S., Roth M.S., Madden T.J., Hudson, R. (2015), The effects of social media on emotions, brand relationship quality, and word of mouth: An empirical study of music festival attendees, "Tourism Management", No. 47, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2014.09.001.
- Jansson A. (2018), Rethinking post-tourism in the age of social media, "Annals of Tourism Research", No. 69, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2018.01.005.
- Kiráľová A., Pavlíčeka A. (2015), Development of Social Media Strategies in Tourism Destination, "Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences", No. 175, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1211.
- Li J., Pearce P.L., Low D. (2018), Media representation of digital-free tourism: A critical discourse analysis, "Tourism Management", No. 69, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2018.06.027.
- Li J., Xu L., Tang L., Wang S., Li L. (2018), Big data in tourism research: A literaturę review, "Tourism Management", No. 68, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2018.03.009.
- Lund N.F., Cohen S.A., Scarles C. (2018), The power of social media storytelling in destination branding, "Journal of Destination Marketing & Management", No. 8, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2017.05.003.
- Molinillo S., Liébana-Cabanillas F., Anaya-Sánchez R., Buhalis D. (2018), DMO online platforms: Image and intention to visit, "Tourism Management", No. 65, [online]https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.09.021.
- The Official travel site of Finland (2018) ,[online] www.visitfinland.com/lapland/,access: 26.10.2018.
- Salman A. (2018), Internet Stats, [online] https://www.omnicoreagency.com/, access: 29/10/2018/
- Stokłosa Ł., Marchiori E., Cantoni L. (2018), Understanding the web maturity of Polish DMOs, "Journal of Destination Marketing & Management", [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2018.01.010.
- TripAdvisor. (2017), About TripAdvisor, https://tripadvisor.mediaroom.com/us-about-us, access: 19.09.2018.
- Uşaklı A., Koç B., Sönmez S. (2017), How ‚social' are destinations? Examining European DMO social media usage, "Journal of Destination Marketing & Management", No. 6, Iss. 2, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdmm.2017.02.001.
- Vecchio P. D., Mele G., Ndou V., Secundo G. (2018), Creating value from Social Big Data: Implications for Smart Tourism Destinations, "Information Processing & Management", No. 54, Iss. 5, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2017.10.006.
- Yan Q., Zhou S., Wu S. (2018), The influences of tourists' emotions on the selection of electronic word of mouth platforms, "Tourism Management", No. 66, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2017.12.015
- Zeng B., Gerritsen R. (2014), What do we know about social media in tourism? A review, "Tourism Management Perspectives", No. 10, [online] https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2014.01.001.