Pull and Push Factors For Producers' Membership in Dairy Marketing Cooperatives in Jimma Zone, Oromia, Ethiopia
Despite the efforts made to promote dairy marketing cooperatives, smallholder dairy producers in rural Ethiopia prefer informal markets to sell their dairy products. The factors determining their preference towards formal markets, such as membership in cooperatives, are not well identified. This paper analyzes the key factors affecting smallholder dairy producers' membership in dairy marketing cooperatives in Ethiopia using cross-sectional survey data from 73 cooperative members and 149 non-members, and probit regression models. The authors found positive effects of age, gender and education of household head and frequency of extension services; and negative effects of distance to the cooperative milk collection centers on the dairy producers' preference for membership in dairy marketing cooperatives. These findings imply the need for awareness initiatives: strengthening extension services, trainings and demonstrations; enhancing access to technology; and infrastructure development. Particularly, affirmative action in the form of targeted intervention is needed to enhance female-headed households' membership in dairy marketing cooperatives and to help them benefit from collective actions. (original abstract)
- Abate, G. T., Francesconi, G. N., Getnet, K. (2014). Impact of agricultural cooperatives on smallholders'technical efficiency: empirical evidence from Ethiopia. Ann. Public Coop. Econ., 85(2), 257-286.
- Belay, D., Janssens, G. P. J. (2014). Smallholder milk processing and marketing characteristics at urban dairy farms in Jimma town of Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia. Global Vet., 13(3), 285-292.
- Bekele, A. D., Pillai, G. B. (2011). Training needs of members in cooperative dairy marketing in Ethiopia. Afr. J. Agric. Res., 6(2), 488-507.
- Bernard, T., Taffesse, A. S., Gabre, M. E. (2008). Impact of cooperatives on smallholders' commercialization behavior: evidence from Ethiopia. Agric. Econ., 39(2), 147-161.
- Bezabih, E. (2009). Cooperatives: a path to economic and social empowerment in Ethiopia. ILO.
- Birhanu, K. (2012). Market access and value chain analysis of dairy industry in Ethiopia: The case of Wolaita Zone (Doctoral dissertation, Haramaya University).
- Bultosa, T. (2016). Key factors affecting market participation of small. Paper for presentation at the 14 th International Conference on the Ethiopian Economy. Ethiopian Economic Association (EEA) Conference Centre, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, July 21-23, 2016.
- Chagwiza, C., Muradian, R., Ruben, R. (2016). Cooperative membership and dairy performance among smallholders in Ethiopia. Food Policy, 59, 165-173.
- Debele, G., Verschuur, M. (2014). Analysis of milk value chain: the case of Ada'a dairy cooperative in Ada'a district, East Shawa zone of Oromia regional state, Ethiopia. J. Agric. Res., 3(1), 16-25.
- Dehinenet, G. (2014). Analyses of impact of improved dairy technology adoption on smallholder household livelihoods and milk value chain in selected Zones of Oromia and Amhara National. Doctoral dissertation, College of Veterinary Medicine and Agriculture, Addis Ababa University.
- Eshetu, T. (2008). The role of dairy cooperatives in stimulating innovation and market oriented smallholders development: the case of Ada'a dairy cooperative, Central Ethiopia. Doctoral dissertation, Haramaya University.
- Eshetu, T. (2015). Performance and determinants of household's participation in dairy marketing cooperatives: The Case of Lemu-Arya and Bekoji Dairy Marketing Cooperatives, Arsi Zone, Oromia Region, Ethiopia.
- Eshetu, T., Assefa, G. (2015). Performance and determinants of household's participation in dairy marketing cooperatives: The case of Lemu-Arya and Bekoji dairy marketing cooperatives, Arsi zone, Oromiya region, Ethiopia: Global Sci. Res. J., 3(3), pp. 214-229.
- Fischer, E., Qaim, M. (2012). Linking smallholders to markets: determinants and impacts of farmer collective action in Kenya. World Dev.t, 40(6), 1255-1268.
- Getnet, K., Tsegaye, A. (2012). Agricultural cooperatives and rural livelihoods: Evidence from Ethiopia. Ann. Public Coop. Econ., 83(2), 181-198.
- Girma, D., Verschuur, M. (2014). Analysis of milk value chain: the case of Ada'a dairy cooperative in Ada'a district, East Shawa zone of Oromia regional state, Ethiopia. J. Agric. Res., 3(1), 16-25.
- Hadush, H. (2014). Adoption and impact of micro irrigation on household income: The case of Eastern Tigray. Doctoral dissertation, Mekelle University.
- Jimma city Agriculture Office (2016). Annual work report.
- Jimma Zone Livestock and Fisheries Development Offices (2016). Documentary data.
- Karli, B., Bilgiç, A., Çelik, Y. (2006). Factors affecting farmers' decision to enter agricultural cooperatives using random utility model in the South Eastern Anatolian region of Turkey. J. Agric. Rural Dev. Trop. Subt. (JARTS), 107(2), 115-127.
- KDFLDO (Kersa District Livestock and Fishery Development Offices) (2016). Annual Ousterus Synchronization work report.
- KDFLDO (Kersa District Livestock and Fishery Development Offices) (2017). Annual work report.
- Kersa District Office of Agriculture and Natural Resource (2016/2017). Annual work report.
- Ma, W., Abdulai, A. (2016). Does cooperative membership improve household welfare? Evidence from apple farmers in China. Food Policy, 58, 94-102.
- Meryem, K. (2013). Analysis of Cow Milk Market Chain: The Case of Sululta District, Oromia Special Zone Surrounding Finfinne, Ethiopia, Master Thesis, Haramaya University.
- Nagler, J. (1994). Scobit: an alternative estimator to logit and probit. Am. J. Polit. Sci., 38(1), 230-255.
- Nugussie, W. Z. (2010). Why some rural people become members of agricultural cooperatives while others do not. J. Dev. Agric. Econ., 2(4), 138-144.
- Nugusse, W. Z., Van Huylenbroeck, G., Buysse, J. (2013). Determinants of rural people to join cooperatives in Northern Ethiopia. Int. J. Soc. Econ., 40(12), 1094-1107.
- Rajendran, K., Mohanty, S. (2004). Dairy cooperatives and milk marketing in India: constraints and opportunities. J. Food Dist. Res., 35(2), 34-41.
- Shapiro, B. I., Gebru, G., Desta, S., Negassa, A., Nigussie, K., Aboset, G., Mechal, H. (2015). Ethiopia livestock master plan. ILRI Project Report. Nairobi, Kenya: International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI).
- Tefera, A. D., Bijman, J., Slingerland, A. M. (2016). Agricultural Co-operatives in Ethiopia: Evolution, Functions and Impact. J. Int. Dev., 29, 431-453.
- Ulfina, G., Jiregna, D., Alganesh, T., Shiv Prasad, L., Mulugeta, K. (2013). Dairy production potential and challenges in western Oromia milk value chain, Oromia, Ethiopia. J. Agric. Sust., 2(1), 1-12.
- Uzunoz, M., Akcay, Y. (2012). A case study of probit model analysis of factors affecting consumption of packed and unpacked milk in Turkey. Econ. Res. Int., 1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/732583
- Yilma, Z., Emmanuelle, G., Ameha, S., Rudolf, F. (2011). A review of the Ethiopian dairy sector. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: FAO Sub Regional Office for Eastern Africa (FAO/SFE).
- Zekarias, S., Shifaraw, M. (2012). Milk Supply Shortfall in Jima Town-An Option for Investment. World J. Agric. Sci., 8(4), 366-374.