2019 | 7 | nr 1 Toward an Inclusive, Entrepreneurial and Economically Sustainable Future for Developing and Central Eastern European Countries | 9--23
Entrepreneurial Competencies and Intentions : the Role of Higher Education
The purpose of this exploratory study is to examine the influence of university enterprise programs on the development of entrepreneurial competencies and skills reported by students in Ukraine. I also aimed to explore the relationship between students' skills, competencies and entrepreneurial intentions. The survey methodology was used in this study. Primary data was gathered with the help of a questionnaire. I explored the competencies and skills reported both by students who participated in university enterprise programs and those who had not taken part in the program. A oneway analysis of variance (ANOVA) was utilised to locate the difference in entrepreneurship competencies and skills of business and non-business students. The results suggest that students who have participated in university enterprise programs report higher levels of entrepreneurship-related skills. The findings presented have implications for practitioners, policymakers, government officers who support entrepreneurs, and educators who facilitate the development of the competences of young people. (original abstract)
- Aidis R., Welter, F., Smallbone, D., Isakova, N. (2007), Female entrepreneurship in transition economies: The case of Lithuania and Ukraine, Feminist Economics, 13(2): 157-83. https://doi.org/10.1080/13545700601184831.
- Albashrawi, M., Alashoor, T.M. (2017), The role of IT on entrepreneurial intention: The effect of general computer self-efficacy and computer anxiety, available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2017/StrategicIT/Presentations/2/ (accessed 18 February 2018).
- Autio, E., George, G., Alexy, O. (2011), International entrepreneurship and capability development - qualitative evidence and future research directions, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 35(1): 11-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2010.00421.x
- Bae, T.J., Qian, S., Miao, C., Fiet, J.O.(2014), The relationship between entrepreneurship education and entrepreneurial intentions: A meta-analytic review, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 38(2): 217-254. https://doi.org/10.1111/etap.12095.
- Basu, A., Goswami, A. (1999), South Asian entrepreneurship in Great Britain: Factors influencing growth, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 5(5): 251-275.
- Bird, B. (1995), Towards a theory of entrepreneurial competency, in: J.A. Katz, R.H. Brockhaus (Eds.), Advances on entrepreneurship, firm emergence and growth (pp. 51-72), Greenwich, Conn.: JAI Press.
- Brinckmann, J., Salomo, S., Gemuenden, H.G. (2011), Financial management competence of founding teams and growth of new technology-based firms, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 35(2): 217-243. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00362.x.
- Brownell, J. (2006), Meeting the competency needs of global leaders: A partnership approach, Human Resource Management, 45(3), 309-336. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20115.
- Bruton, G.D., Ahlstrom, D., Obłój, K. (2008), Entrepreneurship in emerging economies: where are we today and where should the research go in the future, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 32(1): 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2007.00213.x.
- Capaldo, G., Iandoli, L., Ponsiglione, C. (2004), Entrepreneurial competencies and training needs of small firms, paper presented at the 14th Annual IntEnt Conference, Napoli.
- Churchill, N.C., Lewis, V.L. (1983), The five stages of small business growth, Harvard Business Review, 61(3): 1-12.
- Colombo, M.G., Grilli, L. (2005), Founders' human capital and the growth of new technology-based firms: A competence-based view, Research Policy, 34(6): 795-816. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2005.03.010.
- Davidsson, P., Wiklund, J. (2001), Levels of analysis in entrepreneurship research: Current research practice and suggestions for the future, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 25(4): 81-100. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225870102500406.
- Davidsson, P., Wiklund, J. (1997), Values, beliefs and regional variations in new firm formation rates, Journal of Economic Psychology, 18(2): 179-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4870(97)00004-4.
- Fitzsimmons, J.R., Douglas, E (2011), Interaction between feasibility and desirability in the formation of entrepreneurial intentions, Journal of Business Venturing, 26(4): 431-440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2010.01.001.
- Hisrich R.D. (1990), Entrepreneurship/intrapreneurship, American Psychologist, 45(2): 209-222.
- Hoffmann, T. (1999), The meanings of competency, Journal of European Industrial Training, 23(6): 275-286. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090599910284650
- Iakovleva, T., Kolvereid, L., Stephan, U. (2011), Entrepreneurial intentions in developing and developed countries, Education+Training, 53(5): 353-370. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911111147686.
- Iakovleva, T., Solesvik, M., Trifilova, A. (2013), Financial availability and government support for women entrepreneurs in transitional economies: Cases of Russia and Ukraine, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 20(2):314-340. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626001311326752.
- Iakovleva, T., Solesvik, M. (2014), Entrepreneurial intentions in post-Soviet economies, International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 21(1): 79-100. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJESB.2014.057916.
- Iandoli, L., Landström, H., Raffa, M. (2007), Introduction: Entrepreneurship, competitiveness and local development, in: L. Iandoli, H. Landström, M. Raffa (Eds.), Entrepreneurship, Competitiveness and Local Development: Frontiers in European Entrepreneurship Research (pp. 1-24), Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- IFC (2009), Investment climate in Ukraine as seen by private business, Kyiv: International Financial Corporation.
- Kalantaridis, C., Labrianidis, L. (2004), Rural entrepreneurs in Russia and the Ukraine: origins, motivations, and institutional change, Journal of Economic Issues, 38(3): 659-681.
- Karhunen, P., Ledyaeva, S. (2010), Determinants of entrepreneurial interest and risk tolerance among Russian university students: empirical study, Journal of Enterprising Culture, 18(3): 229-263. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218495810000574
- Kets de Vries, M.F.R. (1977), The entrepreneurial personality: A person at the cross roads, Journal of Management Studies 14(1): 34-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1977.tb00616.x.
- Kiss, A.N., Danis, W.D., Cavusgil, S.T. (2011), International entrepreneurship research agenda in emerging economies: A critical review and research agenda, Journal of Business Venturing, 27(2): 266-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2011.09.004.
- Kolvereid, L. (1996), Prediction of employment status choice intentions, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 21(1), 47-58. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879602100104
- Kourilsky, M.L., Walstad, W. B. (1998), Entrepreneurship and female youth: Knowledge, attitudes, gender differences, and educational practices, Journal of Business Venturing, 13(1): 77-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(97)00032-3.
- Krueger, N.F., Reilly, M. D., Carsrud, A. L. (2000), Competing models of entrepreneurial intentions, Journal of Business Venturing, 15(5): 411-432. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(98)00033-0.
- Kuckertz, A., Wagner, M. (2010), The influence of sustainability orientation on entrepreneurial intentions - Investigating the role of business experience, Journal of Business Venturing, 25(5): 524-539. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2009.09.001
- Ledeneva, A.V. (1998), Russia's economy of favours: Blat, networking and informal exchange, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press.
- Lerner, M., Almor, T. (2002), Relationships among strategic capabilities and the performance of women-owned small ventures, Journal of Small Business Management 40(2): 109-125. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-627X.00044.
- Leszczynska, A. (2010), Manager's attitude toward environment, Industrial Management & Data Systems, 110(8): 1234-1250. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635571011077852.
- Lińán, F., Chen, Y. W. (2009), Development and cross-cultural application of a specific instrument to measure entrepreneurial intentions, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 33(3): 593-617. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00318.x
- Man, T., Lau, T. (2000), Entrepreneurial competencies of SME owner/managers in the Hong Kong service sector: A qualitative analysis, Journal of Enterprising Culture, 8(3): 235-254. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218495800000139.
- Man, T., Lau, T. (2005), The context of entrepreneurship in Hong Kong: An investigation through the patterns of entrepreneurial competencies in contrasting industrial environments, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 12(4): 464-481. https://doi.org/10.1108/14626000510628162.
- Man, T., Lau, T., Chan, K.F. (2002), The competitiveness of small and medium enterprises: A conceptualization with focus on entrepreneurial competencies, Journal of Business Venturing, 17(2): 123-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(00)00058-6.
- Manev, I.M., Manolova, T. (2010), Entrepreneurship in transition economies: Review and integration if two decades research, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 15(1): 69-99. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1084946710001427.
- Mitchelmore, S., Rowley, J. (2010), Entrepreneurial competencies: A literature review and development agenda, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 16(2): 92-111. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551011026995.
- Nabi, G., Lińán, F., Fayolle, A., Krueger, N., Walmsley, A. (2017), The impact of entrepreneurship education in higher education: A systematic review and research agenda, Academy of Management Learning & Education, 16(2): 277-299. https://doi.org/10.5465/amle.2015.0026.
- Oosterbeek, H., Van Praag, M., Ijsselstein, A. (2010), The impact of entrepreneurship education on entrepreneurship skills and motivation, European Economic Review, 54(3): 442-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euroecorev.2009.08.002
- Orlenko, O., Klochko, Y. (1998), Analysis of barriers for small and medium business in Ukraine, Kyiv: US Agency for International Development.
- Parsyak, V., Zhuravlyova, M. (2001), Small business: Essence, state, and means of stability support, Nikolaev: Ukrainian State Maritime Technical University Press.
- Parsyak, V., Zhuravlyova, M. (2007), Problems of small entrepreneurship, Economy of Ukraine, 48(3): 84-89.
- Parsyak, V., Solesvik, M., Parsyak, K.V. (2014), Economic aspects in formation and development of entrepreneurship education, Aktual'ni Problemy Ekonomiky = Actual Problems in Economics, 155(1): 126-133.
- Puffer, S.M., McCarthy, D.J., Boisot, M. (2010), Entrepreneurship in Russia and China: The impact of formal institutional voids, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 34(3): 441-467. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2009.00353.x.
- Rasmussen, E., Mosey, S., Wright, M. (2011), The evolution of entrepreneurial competencies: A longitudinal study of university spin-off venture emergence, Journal of Management Studies, 48(6):1314-1345. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2010.00995.x.
- Schřtt, T., Kew, P., Cheraghi, M. (2015), Future potential: A GEM perspective on youth entrepreneurship 2015, GEM Consortium, available at: http://www.gemconsortium.org/report (accessed 9 December 2018).
- Shane, S. (1996), Explaining variation in rates of entrepreneurship in the United States 1899-1988, Journal of Management 22(5): 747-781. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(96)90021-5.
- Shenkar, O., von Glinow, M.A. (1994), Paradoxes of organizational theory and research: using the case of China to illustrate national contingency, Management Science, 40(1): 56-71.
- Solesvik, M. (2012), Entrepreneurial competencies in emerging economy context, 17th Nordic Conference on Small Business Research, 23-25 May, Helsinki, Finland.
- Solesvik, M. (2013), Entrepreneurial motivations and intentions: investigating the role of education major, Education + Training, 55(3): 253-271. https://doi.org/10.1108/00400911311309314.
- Solesvik, M. (2017a), A cross-national study of personal initiative as a mediator between self-efficacy and entrepreneurial intentions, Journal of East-West Business, 23(3): 215-237. https://doi.org/10.1080/10669868.2017.1306821.
- Solesvik, M. (2017b), Hybrid entrepreneurship: How and why entrepreneurs combine employment with self-employment, Technology Innovation Management Review, 7(3): 33-41.
- Solesvik, M. (2018), The rise and fall of the resource-based view: Paradigm shift in strategic management, Izvestia Uralskogo Gosudarstvennogo Ekonomiceskogo Universiteta, 19(4): 5-18.
- Solesvik, M., Iakovleva, T., Trifilova, A. (2019), Motivation of female entrepreneurs: A cross-national study, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development (forthcoming).
- Solesvik, M., Westhead, P. (2012), Female and male opportunity effectuation and bricolage in a resource-constrained environment (working paper), Durham: Durham University Business School.
- Solesvik, M., Westhead, P., Kolvereid, L., Matlay, H. (2012), Student intentions to become self-employed: The Ukrainian context, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 19(3): 441-460. DOI: 10.1108/14626001211250153.
- Solesvik, M., Westhead, P., Matlay, H. (2014), Cultural factors and entrepreneurial intention: The role of entrepreneurship education, Education+ Training, 56(8/9): 680-696. https://doi.org/10.1108/ET-07-2014-0075.
- Tang, J., Kacmar, K.M., Busenitz, L. (2012), Entrepreneurial alertness in the pursuit of new opportunities, Journal of Business Venturing, 27(1): 77-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2010.07.001.
- Tkachev, A., Kolvereid, L. (1999), Self-employment intentions among Russian students, Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 11(3): 269-280. https://doi.org/10.1080/089856299283209
- Tonoyan, V., Strohmeyer, R., Habib, M., Perlitz, M. (2010), Corruption and entrepreneurship: How formal and informal institutions shape small firm behavior in transition and mature market economics, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 34(5): 803-831. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6520.2010.00394.x.
- Ukrainian Government (2002), Postanova vid 12.04.2002 No. 536 Pro Zatverdzhennya Derzhavnoi Programy Pidtrymky Molodizhnogo Pidpryemyztva, available at: http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/cgibin/laws/main.cgi?nreg=536-2002-ï (accessed 11 November 2017).
- Westhead, P., H. Matlay (2006), Skills associated with employment positions in SMEs and favourable attitudes toward self-employment: Longitudinal evidence from students who participated in the shell technology enterprise programme, Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 18(1): 93-124. https://doi.org/10.1080/09537320500520692.
- Westhead, P., McElwee, G., Wright, M. (2011), Entrepreneurship: Perspectives and cases, London: Pearson Education.
- Westhead, P., Solesvik, M. (2016), Entrepreneurship education and entrepreneurial intention: Do female students benefit? International Small Business Journal, 34(8): 979-1003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266242615612534.
- World Bank (2018), Economy Ranking, available at: http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings