2019 | 7 | nr 1 Toward an Inclusive, Entrepreneurial and Economically Sustainable Future for Developing and Central Eastern European Countries | 25--45
Internal Barriers to International R&D Cooperation : the Case of Polish High Tech Firms
The article presents the results of research on internal barriers hindering international R&D cooperation by Polish enterprises from the high tech industry. Cooperation in the R&D area and the related joint innovation is important for the firms' development. The aim of the research, conducted on a representative sample of 400 Polish enterprises from the high tech sector, was to analyse their perception of international cooperation and to identify and assess barriers to R&D cooperation. The research sample is representative of Polish enterprises operating in the high tech sector in Poland. The analysis of research results used a cluster analysis to allow the use of dendrograms to select clusters similar to each other due to the assessment of internal barriers, and a multidimensional correspondence analysis showing the relationships between the selected groups. The research results show the moderation of Polish enterprises in establishing international cooperation and the most important internal barriers to establishing cooperation. The conducted analysis also shows differences in the perception of barriers depending on the size of enterprises (taking into account the size of employment and annual turnover). The research results will allow for a better understanding of the specificity of cooperation with Polish enterprises in the R&D area, taking into account the barriers they perceive and assess. They will also allow for the formation of strategic activities that will help to reduce barriers to international cooperation for Polish enterprises in the R&D area. (original abstract)
- Achrol, R.S. (1997), Changes in the theory of interorganizational relations in marketing: Toward a network paradigm, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 25(1): 56-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02894509.
- Ajmal, M.M., Koskinen, K. U. (2008), Knowledge transfer in project-based organizations: an organizational culture perspective, Project Management Journal, 39(1):7-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmj.20031.
- Amoroso, S., Coad, A., Grassano, N. (2017), European R&D networks: A snapshot from the 7th EU Framework Programme, JRC Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation No. 5. Brussels: European Commission.
- Axelrod, R. (1984), The evolution of cooperation, Basic Books.
- Badaracco, J.L. (1991), The knowledge link: How firms compete through strategic alliances, Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Barkema, H., Bell, J., Pennings, J. (1996), Foreign entry, cultural barriers and learning, Strategic Management Journal, 17(2): 151-166. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199602)17:2<151::AIDSMJ799>3.0.CO;2-Z.
- Bartodziej, Ch.J. (2017), The concept industry 4.0. An empirical analysis of technologies and applications in production logistics, Wiesbaden: Springer Global.
- Bartol, K., Srivastava, A. (2002), Encouraging knowledge sharing: the role of organisational reward systems, Journal of Leadership and Organisation Studies, 9(1): 64-76. https://doi.org/10.1177/107179190200900105.
- Blois, K.J. (1972), Vertical quasi-integration, Journal of Industrial Economics, 20:253-271. DOI: 10.2307/2098058.
- Borgatti, S.P., Foster, P.C. (2003), The network paradigm in organizational research: A review and typology, Journal of Management, 29(6): 991-1013. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063_03_00087-4.
- Borys, B., Jenison, D.B. (1989), Hybrid arrangements as strategic alliances: Theoretical issues in organizational combinations, Academy of Management Review, 14(2): 234-249. DOI: 10.2307/258418.
- Boultellier, O., Grassman, M., von Zedtwitz, (2000), Managing Global Innovation, Berlin: Springer.
- Brockhoff, K. (1992), R&D cooperation between firms, a perceived transaction cost perspective, Management Science 38(4): 514-524.
- Buckley, P.J., Casson, M. (1976), The future of multinational enterprise, New York: Holmes and Meier.
- Bufon, M., Minghi, J., Paasi, A. (2014), The new European frontiers: Social and spatial (re)integration issues in multicultural and border regions, Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Camera, G., Casari, M. (2009), Cooperation among strangers under the shadow of the future, American Economic Review, 99(3): 979-1005. DOI: 10.1257/aer.99.3.979.
- Chesa, V. (1996), Strategies for global R&D, Research-Technology Management, 39(5): 19-25. https://doi.org/10.1080/08956308.1996.11671085.
- Chesnais, F. (1986), Science, technology and competitiveness, Science Technology Industry Review, 1: 85-129.
- Child, J., Faulkner, D. (1998), Strategies of co-operation. Managing alliances, networks, and joint ventures, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cho, M. (2014), Cooperation in the repeated prisoner's dilemma game with local interaction and local communication, International Journal of Economic Theory, 10: 235-262 DOI: 10.1111/ijet.12039.
- Cohen, W.M., Levinthal, D. A. (1990), Absorptive capacity: A new perspective on learning and innovation, Administrative Science Quarterly, 35: 128-152. DOI:10.2307/2393553.
- Contractor, F. J., Lorange, P. (1988), Why should firms cooperate? The strategy and economics basis for cooperative ventures, in: F.J. Contractor, P. Lorange, P. (Eds.), Cooperative strategies in international business, joint ventures and technology partnerships between firms (pp. 3-30), New York: Lexington Books.
- Cuplan, R. (Ed.), (2014), Open innovation through strategic alliances. Approaches for product, technology, and business model creation, New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Cygler J., Sroka W. (2017), Coopetition disadvantages: The case of the high tech companies, Engineering Economics, 28(5): 494-504. http://dx.doi.org/10.5755/j01.ee.28.5.16421.
- Cygler, J., Sroka, W., Solesvik, M. Dębkowska (2018), Benefits and drawbacks of coopetition: The roles of scope and durability in coopetitive relationships, Sustainability, 10(8), 2688; https://doi.org/10.3390/su10082688.
- Danneels, E. (2002), The dynamics of product innovation and firm competences, Strategic Management Journal, 23:1095-1121. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.275.
- D'Aveni, R.A., Gunther, R. (1995), Hypercompetitive rivals. Competing in highly dynamic environments, New York: The Free Press.
- Dicken, P. (1992), Global shift, New York: Guilford Press.
- Dittrich, K., Duysters, G. (2007), Networking as a means to strategy change: The case of open innovation in mobile telephony, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 24: 510-521. ttps://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2007.00268.x.
- Doney, P.M., Cannon, J.P. (1997), An examination of the nature of trust in buyerseller relationships, Journal of Marketing, 61:35-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299706100203.
- Dunning, J.H. (1997), Alliance capitalism and global business, London: Routledge.
- Dunning, J.H. (1995), Reappraising of the eclectic paradigm in the age of alliance capitalism, Journal of International Business Studies, 26(3): 461-491. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490183.
- Dyer, J.H. (2000), Collaborative advantage. Winning through extended enterprise supplier networks, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Dyer, J. (1997), Effective interfirm collaboration: How firms minimize transaction costs and maximize transaction value, Strategic Management Journal, 18(7): 535-556. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<535::AIDSMJ885>3.0.CO;2-Z.
- Dyer, J.H., Kale, P., Sigh, H. (2001), How to make strategic alliances work, Sloan Management Review, 42(4): 37-43.
- Dyer, J.H., Singh, H. (1998), The relational view: Cooperative strategies and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage, Academy of Management Review, 23: 660-679. DOI: 10.2307/259056.
- Fandrejewska, A., Wasilik, K. (2018), Cultural differences and barriers in communication and functioning of an international organisation, Handel Wewnętrzny, 1(372): 203-215.
- Feller, J., Parhankangas, A., Smeds, R., Jaatinen, M. (2013), How companies learn to collaborate: Emergence of improved interorganizational processes in R&D alliances, Organization Studies, 34(3): 313-343. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840612464758.
- Figallo, C., Rhine, N. (2002). Building the knowledge management network, New York: Wiley Technology Publishing.
- Franke, N., Piller, F. (2004), Value creation by toolkits for user innovation and design: The case of the watch market, Journal of Product Innovation Management, 21: 401-415. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0737-6782.2004.00094.x.
- Fritsch, M. (2003), Does R&D - cooperation behavior differ between regions? Industry & Innovation, 10(1): 25-39. DOI:10.1080/1366271032000068087.
- Gestland, R.R. (2012), Cross-cultural business behavior: A guide for global management, Copenhagen: Copenhagen Business School Press.
- Goh, C.H.T., Hooper, V. (2009), Knowledge and information sharing in a closed information environment, Journal of Knowledge Management, 13(2): 21-34. https://doi.org/10.1108/13673270910942673.
- Granovetter, M. (1995), Coase revisited: Business groups in the modern economy, Industrial & Corporate Change, 4(1): 93-|-130. https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/4.1.93.
- Greenacre, M.J. (1984), Theory and applications of correspondence analysis, London: Academic Press.
- Gulati, R. (1999), Network location and learning: The influence of network resources and firm capabilities on alliance formation, Strategic Management Journal, 20(5): 397-420. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199905)20:5<397::AIDSMJ35>3.0.CO;2-K.
- Gulati, R. (2007), Managing network resources. Alliances, affiliations, and other relational assets, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Haider, S., De Pablos-Heredero, C. (2012), Determinants of R&D cooperation: An Institutional Perspective, Revista de Economia Mundial, 32: 239-257.
- Halawi, L.A., McCarthy, R.V., Aronson, J. E. (2006), Knowledge management and the competitive strategy of the firm, The Learning Organization, 13(4): 384-397. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470610667751.
- Hamel, G., Prahalad, C.K. (1994), Competing for the future. Breakthrough strategies for seizing control of your industry and creating the markets of tomorrow, Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
- Hart, S., Mas-Colell, A. (Eds.) (1997), Cooperation: Game-theoretic approaches, Berlin: Springer and NATO Scientific Affairs Division.
- Heide, J.B., Miner, A. S. (1992), The shadow of the future: Effects of anticipated interaction and frequency of contact on buyer-seller co-operation, Academy of Management Journal, 35: 265-291. https://doi.org/10.5465/256374.
- Henderson, R., Cockburn, I. (1994), Measuring competence? Exploring firm effects in pharmaceutical research, Strategic Management Journal, 15(S1): 63-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150906.
- Hexmoor, H., Wilson, S., Bhattaram, S. (2006), A theoretical inter-organizational trust-based security model, The Knowledge Engineering Review, 21(2): 127-161. DOI: 10.1017/S0269888906000932.
- Hill, Ch. W.L. (1990), Cooperation, opportunism, and invisible hand: Implications for transaction cost theory, Academy of Management Review, 15(3): 500-513. DOI: 10.2307/258020.
- Hitt, M.A., Dacin, M.T., Levitas, E., Arregle, J., Borza, A. (2000), Partner selection in emerging and developed market context: Resource-based and organizational learning perspectives, Academy of Management Journal, 43: 449-467. DOI:10.2307/1556404.
- Hindmoor, A. (1998), The importance of being trusted: Transaction costs and policy network theory, Public Administration, 76(1): 25-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9299.00089.
- Hong, P., Park, Y.W. (2015), Building network capabilities in turbulent competitive environments, Business success stories from the BRICS, CRC Press.
- Inkpen, A.C. (1997), An examination of knowledge management in international joint ventures, in: P.W. Beamish, J.P. Killing, (Eds.), Cooperative strategies. North American perspectives (pp. 337-369), San Francisco: The New Lexington Press.
- Ireland, R.D., Hill, M.A., Vaidyanath, D. (2002), Alliance management as a source of competitive advantage, Journal of Management, 28(3): 413-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-2063(02)00134-4.
- Johanson, J., Vahlne, J.-E. (1977), The internationalization process of the firm - A model of knowledge development and increasing foreign market commitments, Journal of International Business Studies, 8(1): 23-32. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490676.
- Johanson, J., Wiedersheim-Paul, F. (1975), The internationalization of the firm - four Swedish cases, Journal of Management Studies, 12(3): 305-323. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1975.tb00514.x.
- King, A. (2007), Cooperation between corporations and environmental groups: A transaction cost perspective, Academy of Management Review, 32(3): 889-900. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.2007.25275680.
- Knight, G.A., Cavusgil, S.T. (1996), The born global firm: A challenge to traditional internationalization theory, Advances in International Marketing, 8: 11-26.
- Kurowska-Pysz, J., Castanho, R.A., Gómez, J.M. (2018), Cross-border cooperation - the barriers analysis and the recommendations, Polish Journal of Management Studies, 17(2): 134-147.DOI: 10.17512/pjms.2018.17.2.12.
- Ladd, A., Ward, M. (2002), An investigation of environment factors influencing knowledge transfer, Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 3(1): 1-13.
- Lavie, D. (2006), The competitive advantage of interconnected firms: An extension of the resource-based view, Academy of Management Review, 31(3): 638-658. DOI: 10.2307/20159233.
- Leavit, M., McKeown, R. (2013), Finding allies, building alliances. 8 elements that bring and keep people together, San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Lui, S.S., Ngo, H. (2005), An action pattern model of inter-firm cooperation, Journal of Management Studies, 42(6):1123-1153. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2005.00536.x.
- Mayberry, J.P., Harsanyi, J.C., Scarf, M.E., Selten, R. (1992), Game - Theoretic models of co-operation and conflict, San Francisco: Westview Press.
- Mazurkiewicz, A., Poteralska, B. (2015), Barriers to technology transfer at R&D organisations. Reading, Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited, 449-457.
- McEvily, B., Marcus, A. (2005), Embedded ties and the acquisition of competitive capabilities, Strategic Management Journal, 26: 1033-1055. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.484.
- McGahan, A.M. (2004), Business strategy over the industry lifecycle, Advances in Strategic Management, 21: 317-358.
- Medcof, J.W. (2001), Resource-based strategy and managerial power in networks of internationally dispersed technology units, Strategic Management Journal, 22: 999-1012. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.192.
- Monteverde, K., Teece, D.J. (1982), Appropriable rents and quasi-vertical integration, Journal of Law and Economics, 25(2): 321-328. https://doi.org/10.1086/467018.
- Morgan, R.M., Hunt, S.D. (1994), The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing, Journal of Marketing, 58(3):20-38. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299405800302.
- Mothe, C., Quelin, B. V. (2001), Resource creation and partnership in R&D consortia, Journal of High Technology Management Research, 12(1): 113-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1047-8310(00)00042-0.
- Namaki, M.S.S.E., (2017), Neo-globalization: Premises, processes and the future, Scholedge International Journal of Business Policy and Governance, 4(7): 71-77. DOI: 10.19085/journal.sijbpg040701.
- OECD (2001), New patterns of industrial globalization. Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and strategic alliances, Paris: OECD Publishing.
- OECD (2003), OECD Science, technology and industry scoreboard 2003, Paris: OECD Publishing.
- OECD (2008), Open innovation in global networks, Paris: OECD Publishing.
- Oerlemans, L.A.G., Meeus, M.T.H. (2001), R&D cooperation in a transaction cost perspective, Review of Industrial Organization, 18: 77-90. https://doi.org/10.1023.
- Open innovation in global networks (2008), Paris: OECD Publishing.
- Oviatt, B.M., McDougall, P.P. (1994), Toward a theory of international new ventures, Journal of International Business Studies, 25(1): 45-64. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8490193.
- Pan, S., Scarbrough, H. (1999), Knowledge management in practice: An exploratory case study, Technology and Strategic Management, 11(3): 359-374. https://doi.org/10.1080/095373299107401.
- Parkhe, A. (1993), Strategic alliance structuring: A game theoretic and transaction cost examination of interfirm cooperation, Academy of Management Journal, 36(4):794-829. https://doi.org/10.5465/256759.
- Polanyi, M. (1966), The tacit dimension, Garden City: Doubleday & Co.
- Porter, M.E. (1985), Competitive agvantage. Creating and sustaining superion performance, New York: The Free Press.
- Powell, W.W., Koput, K. W., Smith-Doerr, L. (1996), Interorganizational collaboration and the locus of innovation: Networks of learning in biotechnology, Administrative Science Quarterly, 41(1): 116-145. DOI:10.2307/2393988.
- Poyago-Theotoky, J.A. (ed.) (1997), Competition, cooperation, Research and Development. The Economics of research joint ventures, London: Macmillan Press LTD.
- Press, W.H., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T., Flannery, B.P. (2007), Numerical recipes: The art of scientific computing (3rd edition), New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Rachlin, H., Brown, J., Baker, F. (2000), Reinforcement and punishment in the prisoner's dilemma game, in: D.Medin (Ed.), The psychology of learning and motivation (pp. 327-364), New York, Academic Press.
- Rapoport, A. (1988), Experiments with Nperson social traps I, prisoner's dilemma, weak prisoner's dilemma, volunteer's dilemma, and largest number, Journal of Conflict Resolution, 32(3): 457-472. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022002788032003003.
- Rennie, M.W. (1993), Born global, McKinsey Quarterly, 4: 45-52.
- Ricciardi, F. (2014), Innovation processes in business networks. Managing interorganizational relationships for innovational excellence, Wiesbaden: Springer Global.
- Rindfleisch, A. (2000), Organizational trust and interfirm cooperation: An examination of horizontal versus vertical alliances Marketing Letters, 11(1): 81-95. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008107011529.
- Ring, P.S., Van de Ven, A. (1989), Cooperative relationships between organizations (working paper), The Strategic Management Research Center, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota.
- Rosenbusch, N., Brinckmann, J., Bausch, A. (2011), Is innovation always beneficial? A meta-analysis of the relationship between innovation and performance in SMEs, Journal of Business Venturing, 26(4): 441-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2009.12.002.
- Santos, V.R., Soares, A.L., Carvalho, J.Á. (2012), Knowledge sharing barriers in complex research and development projects: An exploratory study on the perceptions of project managers, Knowledge and Process Management, 19(1):27-38. https://doi.org/10.1002/kpm.1379.
- Schaeffer, E. (2017), Industry X.0. Realizing digital value in industrial sectors, Munich: Kogan Page.
- Sharif, M.N. (1983), Management of technology transfer and development, Bangkok: UNESCAP: Regional Centre for Technology Transfer.
- Stoddart, L. (2001), Managing intranets to encourage knowledge sharing: Opportunities and constraints, Online Information Review, 25(1): 19-29. https://doi.org/10.1108/14684520110366661.
- Schumpeter, J., (1943), Capitalism, socialism and democracy, London: Allen & Unwin.
- Teece, D.J. (1981), The multinational enterprise: Market failure and market power considerations, Sloan Management Review, 22(3): 3-17.
- Thompson, F.G. (2003), Between hierarchies & markets. The logic and limits of network forms of organization, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Thorelli, H.B. (1986), Networks: Between markets and hierarchies, Strategic Management Journal, 7: 37-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250070105.
- Toffler, A., (1971), Future shock. London: Pan.
- Un, C.A., Cuervo-Cazurra, A., Asakawa, K., (2010), R&D collaborations and product innovation, The Journal of Product Innovation Management, 27(5):673-689. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5885.2010.00744.x.
- Wang, H., Yang, B.Z. (2003), Classification of 2x2 games and strategic behavior, American Economist, 47(2): 78-85. https://doi.org/10.1177/056943450304700207.
- Ward, J.H. (1963), Hierarchical grouping to optimize an objective function, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 58: 236-244.
- White, S., Lui, S. S-Y. (2005), Distinguishing costs of cooperation and control in alliances, Strategic Management Journal, 26: 913-932. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.490.
- Williamson, O.E. (1983), Credible commitments: Using hostages to support exchange, American Economic Review, 73: 1537-1568.
- Williamson, O.E. (1991), Comparative economic organization: The analysis of discrete structural alternatives, Administrative Science Quarterly, 36(2): 269-296. DOI: 10.2307/2393356.
- Witek-Hajduk, M.K. (2014) Internationalization of enterprises - selected theoretical concepts and research directions, Warsaw: Warsaw School of Economics.
- Wróblewski, Ł. (2015), Websites of Polish cultural and educational organizations in the Czech Republic - Analysis and evaluation, Forum Scientiae Oeconomia, 3(1): 65-78.
- Wu, J., (2012), Technological collaboration in product innovation: The role of market competition and sectoral technological intensity, Research Policy, 41(2): 489-496. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2011.09.001.
- Yi, R., Johnson, M.W., Bickel, W.K. (2005), Relationship between cooperation in an iterated prisoners dilemma game and the discounting of hypothetical outcomes, Learning & Behavior, 33(3): 324-336. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03192861.