2019 | 7 | nr 2 Effective Management for Entrepreneurship, Improved Competitiveness and the Environment | 53--70
The Impact of the New EU Trademark Regime on Entrepreneurial Competitiveness
This article addresses the impact of the new EU trademark reform and regime on businesses and their competitiveness. Under the auspices of the Europe 2020 strategy, the European Commission proclaimed its commitment to smart, sustainable and inclusive growth with the focus on supporting competitiveness. Consequently, the sphere of intellectual property became pivotal and led to the enactment of a set of Regulations and Directives designed to reform the EU trademark system. The ultimate goal of this reform was to facilitate competitiveness and to contribute to the entrepreneurial drive in this respect by reducing registration costs per class and by offering new types of trademark. The statistical data generated by the exploration of the EUIPO, along with data on all registered unconventional EUTMs and case studies of the annual filing of top applicants, provides a sufficient foundation for a critical meta-analysis in order to assess the business interest in one class of trademark, in new trademark types and in trademark portfolio strategies. The results reveal a split between the trademark perspective of the EU and that of businesses, and answer these three research questions in a surprising manner. The surrounding discussions and arguments even suggest that the entrepreneurial drive for competitiveness through the employment of EUTMs is not effectively and efficiently supported by the reform. A holistic approach and preferences recognised by businesses point to a need for the enhancement of awareness and significant changes to this reform to make it a true mechanism for protecting legitimate entrepreneurial interests and competitiveness. (original abstract)
- Anemaet, L. (2016), The public domain is under pressure - why we should not rely on empirical data when assessing trademark distinctiveness, International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 47(3): 303-335. DOI:10.1007/s40319-016-0459-8
- Areeda, P.E. (1996), The Socratic method, Harvard Law Review, 109: 911-922.
- Bansal, P., Song, H.C. (2017), Similar but not the Same: Differentiating corporate sustainability from corporate responsibility, Academy of Management Annals, 11(1): 105-149. doi.org/10.5465/annals.2015.0095
- Balcerzak, A.P. (2015), Europe 2020 strategy and structural diversity between old and new member states. Application of zero unitarization method for dynamic analysis in the years 2004-2013, Economics & Sociology, 8(2): 190-210. DOI:10.14254/2071-789X.2015/8-2/14
- Balcerzak, A.P. (2016a), Technological potential of European economy. Proposition of measurement with application of multiple criteria decision analysis, Montenegrin Journal of Economics, 12(3): 7-17. DOI:10.14254/1800-5845.2016/12-3/1.
- Balczerzak, A.P. (2016b), Fiscal burden in the European Union member states, Economic Annals - XXI, 161(9-10): 4-6. https://doi.org/10.21003/ea.V161-01.
- Billon, M., Marco, R., Lera-Lopez, F. (2017), Innovation and ICT use in the EU: An analysis of regional drivers, Empirical Economics, 53(3): 1083-1108. DOI:10.1007/s00181-016-1153-x.
- Čech, P., Jindřichovská, I., Neubauer, J. (2018), Corporate Social Responsibility in hotel industry: Empirical analysis of transitional market, International Journal of Economics & Business Administration (IJEBA), 6(1): 61-89.
- Čech, P., Jindřichovská, I., Neubauer, J. (2019), Achieving a great reputation for corporate social responsibility: study from the Czech hospitality industry, Scientific Papers of the University of Pardubice. Series D, Faculty of Economics and Administration. 45/2019, 17-28.
- Chirita, A.D. (2014), A legal-historical review of the EU competition rules, International & Comparative Law Quarterly, 63: 281-316. http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2230429
- Chronopoulos, A. (2014), Legal and economic arguments for the protection of advertising value through trade mark law, Queen Mary Journal of Intellectual Property, 4(4): 256-276. http://dx.doi.org/10.4337/qmjip.2014.04.01.
- Cygler, J., Sroka, W., Solesvik, M., Debkowska, K. (2018), Benefits and drawbacks of coopetition: the roles of scope and durability in coopetitive relationships, Sustainability, 10, 2688. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10082688
- Cygler, J., Wyka, (2019), Internal barriers to international R&D cooperation: The case of Polish high tech firms, Forum Scientiae Oeconomia, 7(1): 25-45. DOI:10.23762/FSO_VOL7_NO1_2
- Cvik, E.D., MacGregor Pelikánová, R., Malý, M. (2018), Selected Issues from the dark side of the general data protection regulation, Review of Economic Perspectives - Národohospodářský obzor, 18(4): 387-407. DOI: 10.2478/revecp-2018-0020.
- Czyżewski, B, Polcyn, J., Hnatyszyn-Dzikowska, A. (2016), Concept for measuring the efficiency of public goods provision based on the education sector in Poland, Ekonomicky casopis, 64(10): 973-993.
- Çolak, M.S., Ege, A. (2013), An assessment of EU 2020 strategy: Too far to reach? Social Indicators Research, 110(2): 659-680. DOI: 10.1007/s11205-011-9950-2.
- Damro, C., (2012), Market power Europe, Journal of European Public Policy, 19: 682-699. https://doi.org/10.1080/13501763.2011.646779.
- Dima, A.M., Begu, L., Vasilescu, D., Maassen, M.A. (2018), The relationship between the knowledge economy and global competitiveness in the European Union, Sustainability, 10, 1706. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10061706.
- Dmitrieva, A., MacGregor Pelikánová, R.(2017), Single colour trademarks not only on the current Czech market, ACC Journal, 23(2): 36-49. DOI: 10.15240/tul/004/2017-2-003.
- Erixon, F. (2010), The Europe 2020 strategy: Time for Europe to think again, European View, 9(1): 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12290-010-0120-8.
- Ertekin, L., Sorescu, A., Houston, M.B. (2018), Hands off my brand! the financial consequences of protecting brands through trademark infringement lawsuits, Journal of Marketing, 82: 45-65. https://doi.org/10.1509/jm.17.0328
- EUIPO (2019), Annual reports 2015-2017, available at: https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/en/publications (accessed 28 May 2019).
- European Commission (2010), COM (2010) 2020 Communication from the Commission Europe 2020 - a strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/eu2020/pdf/COMPLET EN BARR OSO 007 - Europe 2020 - EN version.pdf (accessed 8 August 2018).
- European Commission (2018), Trade - Policy - EU Position in World Trade, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/eu-position-in-world-trade/ (accessed 24 October 2018).
- Floridi, L. (2016), Mature information societies - a matter of expectations, Philosophy and Technology, 29: 1-4. DOI:10.1007/s13347-016-0214-6
- Hochman, G, Shahar, A., Ariely, D. (2015), Fairness requires deliberation. The primacy of economic over social considerations, Frontiers in Psychology, 6: 747. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00747.
- Horváth, P., Puter, J.M., Dagiliene, L., Dimante, D., Haldma, T., Kochalski, C., Kral, B., Labaš, D., Laats, K., Bedenik, N. O., Paksiova, R., Petera, P., Ratajack, P., Buhovac, A.R., Sava., A., Sucala, V., Tirnitz, T.J., Wagner, J. (2017), Status quo and future development of sustainability reporting in Central and Eastern Europe, Journal of East European management studies, 22(2): 221-243. https://doi.org/10.5771/0949-6181-2017-2-221
- Jindřichovská I., Kubíčková D. (2018), Legitimacy seeking behaviour: Case study from controversial industry, in: Conference Proceedings of the 12th International Days of Statistics and Economics" (MSED 2018) (pp.741-750), Prague: University of Economics in Prague.
- Jindřichovská, I., Kubíčková, D., Stratulat, M. (2019), Early stage of sustainability reporting: Case study from the Czech Tobacco industry, European Research Studies Journal, 22 (1): 128-142.
- Kalanje, Ch. (2018), Role of intellectual property in innovation and new product development. WIPO, available at: http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/documents/ip_innovation_development _fulltext.html (accessed 30 June 2018).
- Krasnikov, A., Mishra, S., Orozco, D. (2009), Evaluation of the financial impact of branding using trademarks: A framework and empirical evidence, Journal of Marketing, 73(6): 154-166. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.6.154
- Labrecque, L.I., Milne, G.R. (2013), To be or not be different: Exploration of norms and benefits of color differentiation in the marketplace, Marketing Letters, 24(2): 165-176. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11002-012-9210-5
- Long, D. (2011), Rebooting trademarks for the twenty-first century, University of Louisville Law Review, 49(4): 517-554.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2012), And the best top level domain for European enterprises is ... International and Comparative Law Review, 12(2): 43-59. DOI:10.1515/iclr-2016-0085.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2013), Internet my dearest, what type of European integration is the clearest? Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 61(7): 2475-2481.http://dx.doi.org/10.11118/actaun201361072475
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2017a), European myriad of approaches to parasitic commercial practices, Oeconomia Copernicana, 8(2): 167-180. https://doi.org/10.24136/oc.v8i2.11
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2017b), Constantine´s Christianity for the (Dis)integrated EU - Déjŕ vu of Constantine's Roman governance reflecting of the mistrial of Jesus for EU? Dialogo, 4(1): 81-98.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2019a), Corporate Social Responsibility information in annual reports in the EU - Czech Case Study, Sustainability, 11, 237.doi:10.3390/su11010237.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2019b), R&D expenditure and innovation in the EU and selected member states, Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, 15(1):13-33. doi.org/10.7341/20191511.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R. (2019c), The fair analysis of the case law of the court of justice of eu on the unfair commercial practices, Acta Academica Karviniensia, 2019 (1): 47-58.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R., Beneš, M. (2017), Does the full harmonization of the consumers´ protection against unfair commercial practices via UCPD fit in Europe 2020? Czech Yearbook of Public & Private International Law CY IL, 8: 223-231.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R., Císařová, J., Beneš, M. (2017), The misleading perception of the purpose of the protection against misleading advertising by the EU law and its impact in the Czech Republic, The Lawyer Quarterly, 7(3): 145-161.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R., Cvik, E.D. (2018), Impact of GDPR security measures on the intellectual property and unfair competition, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 66(153): 1535-1542. DOI:10.11118/actaun201866061535.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R., MacGregor, R. (2018a), Reality of e-reporting of annual accounts of SMEs in the EU - Mc- Donald's, BurgerKing, KFC and Subway CASE STUDY, in: I. Jindřichovská, D. Kubíčková, D. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 6th International Scientific Conference on IFRS - Global Rules and Local Use Location (pp. 142-157), Prague: Anglo American University.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R., MacGregor, R. (2018b), The ephemeral Corporate Social Responsibility commitment pursuant to annual reports - a Czech case study, in: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Innovation, Management, Entrepreneurship and Sustainability (IMES 2018) (pp. 614-623), Prague: University of Economics.
- MacGregor Pelikánová, R., MacGregor, R. (2018c), Corporate Social Responsibility e-reporting as a tool for (Un)fair competition in the EU, In T. Löster, T. Pavelka (Eds.), Conference Proceedings of the 12th International Days of Statistics and Economics, (pp. 1112-1122), Prague.
- Pakšiová, R. (2016), CSR reporting in Slovakia, in: Conference Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on European Integration (pp. 698-707), Ostrava: VŠB - Technical University of Ostrava.
- Pasimeni, F., Pasimeni, P. (2016), An institutional analysis of the Europe 2020 strategy, Social Indicators Research, 127: 1021-1038. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-015-1013-7
- Piekarczyk, A. (2016), Contemporary organization and a perspective on integration and development, Oeconomia Copernicana, 7(3): 467-483. https://doi.org/10.12775/OeC.2016.027
- Polcyn, J. (2018), Human development level as a modifier of education efficiency, Management-Poland, 22(2): 171-186. DOI:10.2478/manment-2018-0030
- Roszkowska-Menkes, M. (2017), User innovation: State of art and perspectives for future research, Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, 13(2), 127-154. DOI: 10.7341/20171326
- Schechter, F.I. (1927), The rational basis of trade mark protection, Harvard Law Review, 40(6): 813-833. DOI:10.2307/1330367
- Silverman, D. (2013), Doing qualitative research - a practical handbook (4th edition), London: SAGE.
- Solesvik, M. (2019), Entrepreneurial competencies and intentions: The role of higher education, Forum Scientiae Oeconomia, 7(1): 9-23. DOI: 10.23762/FSO_VOL7_NO1_1
- Sroka, W., Lörinczy, M. (2015), The perception of ethics in business: Analysis of research results, Procedia - Economics and Finance, 34: 156-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01614-7
- Sroka, W, Szanto, R. (2018), Corporate Social Responsibility and business ethics in controversial sectors: analysis of research results, Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, 14 (3): 111-126. DOI:10.7341/20181435.
- Staníčková, M. (2017), Can the implementation of the Europe 2020 Strategy goals be efficient? The challenge for achieving social equality in the European Union, Equilibrium. Quarterly Journal of Economics and Economic Policy, 12(3): 383-398. https://doi.org/10.24136/eq.v12i3.20
- Stec, M., Grzebyk, M. (2018), The implementation of the Strategy Europe 2020 objectives in European Union countries: The concept analysis and statistical evaluation, Quality & Quantity, 52: 119-133. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-016-0454-7.
- Szarowská, I. (2018), Importance of R&D expenditure for economic growth in selected CEE countries, E&M Economics and Management, 21(4): 108-124. https://dx.doi.org/10.15240/tul/001/2018-4-008.
- Terzić, L. (2017), The role of innovation in fostering competitiveness and economic growth: Evidence from developing economies, Comparative Economic Research, 20(4): 65-81. https://doi.org/10.1515/cer-2017-0028
- TM View (2019), TM view advanced search, available at: https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/ welcome (accessed 28 May 2019).
- Turečková, K., Nevima, J. (2017), Cluster analysis in context of ICT sector in NUTS 3 regions of Czech Republic, in: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference Liberec Economic Forum 2017 (pp. 313-320), Liberec: Technical University of Liberec.
- Turečková, K., Nevima, J. (2018), SMART approach in regional development, in: Proceedings of 16th International Scientific Conference Economic Policy in the European Union Member Countries (pp. 386-394), Karviná: Silesian University in Opava, School of Business Administration in Karvina.
- Van Horen, F., Pieters, R. (2012), Consumer evaluation of copycat brands: The effect of imitation type, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 29(3): 246-255. DOI:10.1016/j.ijresmar.2012.04.001
- Vivant, M. (2016), Building a common culture IP? International Revue of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 47(3): 259-261. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s40319-016-0472-y
- Winckel, E. (2013), Hardly a black-andwhite matter: Analyzing the validity and protection of single-color trademarks within the fashion industry, Vanderbilt Law Review, 66(3): 1015-1052.
- Yueh, L.Y. (2007), Global intellectual property rights and economic growth, Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property, 5(3): 436-448.