Judo as a supportive tool for business and entrepreneurship
Sports and business or entrepreneurship have frequently been linked to one other in various ways. The world of sport makes use of general management theories and general business and entrepreneurship knowledge for professionalizing the management of sport. Within this article the other way around is explored. The sport in this article is limited to the sport judo. The objective is to find out in what way judo sport can be helpful in developing business and entrepreneurship. The level of using sport/judo as a metaphor in the literature on business and entrepreneurship can be transcended. A comparative study using a multi-method approach was conducted with two groups. One containing entrepreneurs with a background in elite-level judo (including a world champion, an Olympic medal winner, a European champion and a national champion) and another group of entrepreneurs without any background in judo. It can be concluded that there are opportunities that the (basic) principles of judo could be deployed to inspire and support an entrepreneurial orientation. Judo involves both technical and moral principles. The technical principles of judo, in particular, can be translated to the elements of an entrepreneurial orientation. In addition, the moral principles of judo can assist in focusing attention on (corporate) social responsibility and social entrepreneurship.(original abstract)
- Amo, B.W., L. Kolvereid (2005) Organisational strategy, individual personality and innovation behaviour, Journal of Enterprising Culture, Vol. 13 No. 1, pp. 7-19.
- Atuahene-Gima. K., A. Ko (2001) An empirical investigation of the effect of market orientation and entrepreneurship orientation alignment on product innovation, Organization Science, Vol. 12 No. 1, pp. 54-74.
- Boso, N., V.M. Story, J.W. Cadogan (2013) Entrepreneurial orientation, market orientation, network ties, and performance, Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 2 No. 6, pp. 708-727.
- Brock, W.A., S.N. Durlauf, K.D. West (2003) Policy evaluation in uncertain economic environments, Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Vol. 1, p. 235-322.
- Brousse, M. (2015) Judo for the world, Lausanne: International Judo Federation.
- Burgelman, R.A. (1984) Design for corporate entrepreneurship, California Management Review, Vol. 26 (2), pp. 154-166.
- Cantillon, R. (1734) Essay on the nature of trade in general (translated by H. Higgs, 1755), London: Frank Cass and Co.
- Certo, S.T., T.W. Moss, J.C. Short (2009) Entrepreneurial orientation: an applied perspective, Business Horizons, Vol. 52 No. 4, pp. 310-324.
- Chaston, I., E. Sadler-Smith (2012) Entrepreneurial cognition, entrepreneurial orientation and firm capability in the creative Industries, British Journal of Management, Vol. 23 No. 3, pp. 415-432.
- Chelladurai, P. (1994) Sport management: defining the field, European Journal of Sport Management, Vol. 1 No. 1, pp. 7-21.
- Ciletti, D., S. Chadwick (ed.) (2012), Sports entrepreneurship, theory and practice, Morgantown (USA): West Virginia University, Fitness Information Technology.
- Covin J.G., D.P. Slevin (1988) The influence of organization structure in the utility of an entrepreneurial top management style, Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 25 No. 3, pp. 217-234.
- Covin J.G., D.P. Slevin (1989) Strategic management of small firms in hostile and benign environments, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 10 No. 1, pp. 75-87.
- Covin J.G., D.P. Slevin (1991) A conceptual model of entrepreneurship as firm behavior. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 16 No 1, pp. 7-25.
- Crum, B. (1992) Over de versporting van de samenleving, Haarlem: De Vrieseborch.
- Dalkey, N., O. Helmer (1963) An experimental application of Delphi method to the use of experts, Management Science, Vol. 9 No. 3, pp. 458-467.
- Delbecq, A.L., A.H. van de Ven, D.H. Gustafson (1975) Group technique for program planning, Glenview (IL): Scott, Foresman and Co.
- Dess, G.G., G.T. Lumpkin (2005) The role of entrepreneurial orientation in stimulating effective corporate entrepreneurship, The Academy of Management Executive Vol. 19 No. 1, pp. 147-156.
- Diericks, I., Cool, K. (1989) Asset stock accumulation and sustainability of competitive advantage, Management Science, Vol. 35 No. 12, pp. 1504-1511.
- Doorn, van S. (2012) Managing entrepreneurial orientation, ERIM Ph.D. Series Research in Management, Rotterdam, Erasmus University/Erasmus Research Institute of Management.
- Drucker, P.F. (1985) Innovation and entrepreneurship, Oxford: Elsevier.
- Geesink, A.J. (1999) Tot hier en niet verder, Utrecht: Tirion.
- Gelman, J.R., S.C Salop (1985) Judo economics: capacity limitation and coupon competition, The Bell Journal of Economics, Vol. 14 No. 2, pp. 315-325.
- Green, K.M., J.G. Covin, D.P. Slevin (2008) Exploring the relationship between strategic reactiveness and entrepreneurial orientation: the role of structure-style fit, Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 23 No. 3, p. 356-383.
- Hakala, H. (2011) Strategic orientations in management literature: three approaches to understanding the interaction between market, technology, entrepreneurial and learning orientations, International Journal of Management Reviews, Vol. 13 No. 2, pp. 199-217.
- Hsu, C.C., B.A. Sandford (2007) The Delphi technique: making sense of consensus, Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, Vol. 12 No. 10, pp. 1-7.
- Huang, S.K., Y.L. Wang (2011) Entrepreneurial orientation, learning orientation and innovation in small and medium enterprises, Procedia Social and Behavioural Sciences, Vol. 24, pp. 563-570.
- Jambulingam, T., R. Kathuria, W.R. Douchette (2005) Entrepreneurial orientation as a basic for classification within a service industry, Journal of Operations, Vol. 23 No. 1, p. 23-42.
- Jansen, J.J.P., F.A.J. van den Bosch, H.W. Volberda (2006) Exploratory innovation, exploitative innovation, and performance: effect of organizational antecedents and environmental moderators, Management Science, Vol. 52 No. 11 pp. 1661-1674.
- Kano, J. (1937), Judo, Tokyo: Maruzen.
- Kano, J. T.P. Leggett (1964) The demonstration of gentleness: ju-no-kata, London: Foulsham.
- Kieft, M. (2011) De Delphi methode nader bekeken, Nijmegen: Samenspraak Advies.
- Lee, S.M., S.J. Peterson (2000) Culture, entrepreneurial orientation and global competitiveness, Journal of World Business, Vol. 35 No. 4, pp. 401-416.
- Luiten, W. (1971) Judo, sport voor iedereen, Deventer: Kluwer.
- Lumpkin, G.T., G.G. Dess (1996) Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 21 No. 1, pp. 135-172.
- Lumpkin, G.T., G.G. Dess (2001) Linking two dimensions of entrepreneurial orientation to firm performance: the moderating role of environment and industry life cycle, Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 16 No. 5, pp. 429-451.
- Manolachi, V., M. Chirazi, D. Rosu, M. Ion-Ene (2010) Judo the alternative method of the contemporary education, Annals of the University Dunarea de Jos of Galati: Fascicle XV: P.E. and Sport Management, Vol. 1, p. 20-23.
- Miller, D., P.H. Friesen (1978) Archetypes of strategy formulation, Management Science, Vol. 24 No. 9, pp. 921-933.
- Miller, D., P. H., Friesen (1982) Innovation in conservative and entrepreneurial firms: two models of strategic momentum, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 3 No. 1, pp. 1-25.
- Miller, D. (1983) The correlates of entrepreneurship in three types of firms, Management Science, Vol. 29 No. 7, pp. 770-791.
- Neofit, A., M. Ion-Ene (2011) Pedagogical and psychological arguments in favour of the early training of children through judo, Annals of the University Dunarea de Jos of Galati: Fascicle XV: P.E. and Sport Management, Vol. 1, p. 178-181.
- Parkhouse, B.L., D.O. Ulrich (1979) Sport management as a potential cross discipline: a paradigm for theoretical development, scientific inquiry and professional application, Quest, Vol. 31 No. 2, pp. 264-276.
- Pinchot, G., E. Pinchot (1978) Intra-corporate entrepreneurship, New York: Tarrytown School for Entrepreneurs.
- Porter, M., M. Kramer (2006) The Link between Competitive Advantage and Corporate Social Responsibility, Harvard Business Review Vol. 84 No. 12, pp. 78-92.
- Porter, M., M. Kramer (2011) Creating Shared Value, Harvard Business Review Vol. 89 No. 1/2), pp. 62-77.
- Ratten, V. (2010) 'Developing a theory of sport-based entrepreneurship'. Journal of Management & Organization, Vol. 16 No. 4, pp. 557-565.
- Ratten, V. (2011) Sport-based entrepreneurship: towards a new theory of entrepreneurship and sport management, International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, Vol. 7 No. 1, pp. 57-69.
- Rauch, A., J. Wiklund, G.T. Lumpkin, M. Frese (2009) Entrepreneurial orientation and business performance: an assessment of past research and suggestions for the future, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 33 No. 3, pp. 761-787.
- Richardson, R.A., (2005) Organizational Judo: Adapting Purchasing Strategies to Complement Corporate Culture, paper presented at the ISM's 90th Annual International Supply Management Conference, San Antonio Texas.
- Schumpeter, J.A. (1934) The theory of economic development, Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- Segane, J.O. (2000) The sports metaphor in American cultural discourse, Sport in Society, Vol. 3 No. 1, pp. 48-60.
- Slevin, D.P., J.G. Covin (1990) Juggling entrepreneurial style and organizational structure, MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 43 No. 2, pp. 43-53.
- Sørgard, L. (1995) Judo economics reconsidered: capacity limitation, entry and collusion, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 15, pp. 349-368.
- Stam, W., T. Elfering (2008) Entrepreneurial orientation and new venture performance: the moderating role of intra- and extra industry social capital, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 51 No. 1, p. 97-111.
- Stevens, J. (2013) The way of judo, Boulder: Shambhala Publications.
- Stinchcombe, A.L. (1965) Social structure and organizations, In March J.G. Handbook of organizations 7, Chicago: Rand McNally and Co, pp. 142-193.
- Venkatraman, N., V. Ramanujam (1986) Measurement of business performance in strategy research: a comparison of approaches, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 11, p. 801-814.
- Westerbeek, H.M., Smith, A. (2003) Sport Business in the Global Marketplace. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wiklund, J., D. Sheperd (2003) Knowledge based resources, entrepreneurial orientation and the performance of small and medium sized businesses, Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 24 No. 13, pp. 1307-1314.
- Yoffie, D.B., M.A. Cusumano (1999) Judo strategy: the competitive dynamics of internet time, Harvard Business Review, Vol. 77 No. 1 pp. 71-84.
- Yoffie, D.B., M. Kwak (2001) Judo strategy: 10 techniques for beating a stronger opponent, Business Strategy Review, Vol. 13 No. 1, pp 20-30.
- Yoffie, D.B., M. Kwak (2002) Judo Strategy, Harvard Business Review.
- Zahra, S.A., J.G. Covin (1995) Contextual influences on the corporate entrepreneurship-performance relationship, Journal of Business Venturing Vol. 10 No. 1, pp. 43 - 58
- Zeigler, E.F. (1987) Sport Management: past, present and future, Journal of Sport Management, Vol. 1, pp. 4-24.