A Hybrid FSIR-TOPSIS Approach for Selecting of Manufacturing Levers
One of the strategic decisions of any organization is decision making about manufacturing strategy. Manufacturing strategy is a perspective distinguishing a company from other present companies in that industry and creates a kind of stability in decisions and gives a special direction to organizational activities. SIR (SUPERIORITY& INFERIORITY Ranking) method and their applications have attracted much attention from academics and practitioners. FSIR proves to be a very useful method for multiple criteria decision making in fuzzy environments, which has found substantial applications in recent years. This paper proposes a FSIR approach based methodology for TOPSIS, which using MILTENBURG Strategy Worksheet in order to analyzing of the status of strategy of the Gas Company. Then formulates the priorities of a fuzzy pair-wise comparison matrix as a linear programming and derives crisp priorities from fuzzy pair-wise comparison matrices Manufacturing levers (Alternatives) are examined and analyzed as the main elements of manufacturing strategy. Also, manufacturing outputs (Criteria are identified that are competitive priorities of production of any organization. Next, using a hybrid approach of FSIR and TOPSIS, alternatives (manufacturing levers) are ranked. So dealing with the selected manufacturing levers and promoting them, an organization makes customers satisfied with the least cost and time. (original abstract)
- Skinner W., Manufacturing-missing link in corporate strategy, Harvard Business Review, 136-145, 1969.
- Hayes R.H., Wheelwright S.C., Restoring our Competitive Edge, Free Press, New York, 1984.
- Kotha S., Orne D., Generic manufacturing strategies: A conceptual synthesis, Strategic Management Journal 10, 211-231, 1989.
- Porter M.E., The technological dimension of competitive strategy, [in:] Rosenbloom, R.S. [Ed.], Research on Technological Innovation, Management and Policy, Jai, Greenwich, CT, pp. 1-33, 1983.
- Porter M.E., Competitive Advantage - Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, [in:] Powell, Olson, David L., Flores, Benito E. [Eds], 1997, Proceedings Decision Science Institute, Vol. 3, POM - Manufacturing, San Diego, FreePress, New York, pp. 1171-1173, 1985.
- Voss C.A., Empirical observation of the process of manufacturing strategy formulation and implementation, Paper presented at the Int. Conference on Production Economics, Igls. Austria, 1990.
- Marucheck A., Pannesi R., Anderson C., An explanatory study of the manufacturing strategy process in practice, Journal of Operation Management, 9(1), 101-123, 1990.
- Anderson J.C., Schroeder, R.G., The process of manufacturing strategy: Some empirical observations and conclusions, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 11(3), 86-110, 1991.
- Hill T., Manufacturing strategies, England: Macmillan, 1995.
- Miltenburg J., How to formulate and implement a winning plan, Portland: Productivity Press, 1995.
- Safsten K., Winroth M., Analysis of the congruence between manufacturing strategy and production system in SMME, Computers in Industry, 49(1), 91- 106, 2002.
- Lee K., Jeong H.N., Park C., Park J., Development of a decision-support system for the formulation of manufacturing strategy, International Journal of Production Research, 40(15), 3913-3930, 2002.
- Quezada L.E., Cordova F.M., O\\'Brien C., Application of the analytic hierarchy process in manufacturing strategy formulation, International Journal of Industrial Engineering - Theory Applications and Practice, 10(3), 204-212, 2003.
- Slack N., Chambers S., Johnston R., Operation management, England: Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Platts K.W., Gregory M.J., Manufacturing audit in the process of strategy formulation, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 10(9), 47-65, 2004.
- Schroeder R.G., Flynn B. [Eds], John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2001.
- Karacapilidis N., Adamides E., Evangelou C., A computerized knowledge management system for the manufacturing strategy process, Computers in Industry, 57(2), 178-188, 2006.
- Jorn H.T., Empirical analysis of manufacturing strategy implementation, International Journal of Production Economics, 113, 370-382, 2008.
- Arafa A., ElMaraghy W.H., Manufacturing strategy and enterprise dynamic capability, CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 60, 507-510, 2011.
- Jia G.Z., Bai M., An approach for manufacturing strategy development based on fuzzy-QFD, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 60, 445-454, 2011.
- Zahirul Hoque, Maybelle Chia, Competitive forces and the levers of control framework in a manufacturing setting: A tale of a multinational subsidiary, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 9, 2, 123-145, 2012.
- Pradip P. Patil, Narkhede B.E., Milind M. Akarte, Pattern of manufacturing strategy implementation and implications on manufacturing levers and manufacturing outputs and business performance, International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management, 10(2), 157-177, 2015.
- Fantino G., Miragliotta G., Supervisor, Mariano Corso: Tutor, Paolo Trucco: The Chair of the Doctoral Program (2017), Extreme Manufacturing Flexibility: Organizational levers to cope with extreme planning, volume and mix ﬂexibility requirements, Doctoral Dissertation of: Giorgio Fantino.
- Luqman M., Rosli M.U., Khor C.Y., Shayfull Zambree, Jahidi H., Manufacturing Process Selection of Composite Bicycle\\'s Crank Arm using Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP), IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 2018.
- Miltenburg J., Manufacturing strategy, 2nd ed. New York: Productivity Press, 2005.
- Hayes R.H., Wheelwright S.C., Restoring our Competitive Edge, Free Press, New York, 1984.
- Hill T., Manufacturing Strategy, Text and Cases, 2end Edition, Palgrave, 2000.
- Wang Y.J., Lee H.-S., Generalizing TOPSIS for fuzzy multiple-criteria group decision-making, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 53, 1762-1772, 2007.
- Fenton N., Wang W., Risk and confidence analysis for fuzzy multi-criteria decision making, Knowledge-Based Systems, 19, 430-437, 2006.
- Kuo M.S., Tzeng G.H., Huang W.C., Group decision-making based on concepts of ideal and antiideal points in a fuzzy environment, Mathematical and Computer Modeling, 45, 324-339, 2007.
- Chen S.J., Hwang C.L., Fuzzy Multiple Attribute Decision Making Methods and Applications, Springer, Berlin, 1992.
- Wang T.-C., Chang T.-H., Application of TOPSIS in evaluating initial training aircraft under a fuzzy environment, Expert Systems with Applications, 33, 870-880, 2007.
- Yeh C.H., Deng H., Chang Y.H., Fuzzy multicriteria analysis for performance evaluation of bus companies, European Journal of Operational Research, 126(3), 459-473, 2000.
- Ballı S., Korukoğlu S., Operating system selection using fuzzy AHP and TOPSIS methods, Mathematical and Computational Applications, 14(2), 119- 130, 2009.
- Büyüközkan G., Feyzioğlu O., Nebol E., Selection of the strategic alliance partner in logistics value chain, International Journal of Production Economics, 113(1), 148-158, 2008.
- Chen C.T., A fuzzy approach to select the location of the distribution center, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 118(1), 65-73, 2001.
- Chou C.C., A fuzzy MADM method for solving A/R collection instruments selection problem, Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 15(2), 115-122, 2007.
- Chou T.Y., Liang G.S., Application of a fuzzy multicriteria decision-making model for shipping company performance evaluation, Maritime Policy and Management, 28(4), 375-392, 2001.
- Ding J.F., Partner selection of strategic alliance for a liner shipping company using extent analysis method of fuzzy AHP, Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 17(2), 97-105, 2009.
- Ertuğrul İ., Karakaşoğlu N., Comparison of fuzzy AHP and fuzzy TOPSIS methods for facility location selection, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 39(7-8), 783-795, 2008.
- Lee H.S., Chou M.T., A fuzzy multiple criteria decision making model for airline competitiveness evaluation, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, No. 4252, 902-909, 2006.
- Liang G.S., Fuzzy MCDM based on ideal and antiideal concepts, European Journal of Operational Research, 112(3), 682-691, 1999.
- Tsaur S.H., Chang T.Y., Yen C.H., The evaluation of airline service quality by fuzzy MCDM, Tourism Management, 23(2), 107-115, 2002.
- Valls A., Vicenc T., Using classification as an aggregation tool in MCDM, Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 115(1), 159-168, 2000.
- Wang Y.J., Lee H.S., Lin K., Fuzzy TOPSIS for multi-criteria decision-making, International Mathematical Journal, 3(4), 367-379, 2003.
- Zadeh L.A., Fuzzy sets, Information and Control, 8(1965), 338-353, 1965.
- Zadeh L.A., The concept of a linguistic variable and its application to approximate reasoning, Information Sciences, Part I: 8, 199-249; Part II: 8, 301-357; Part III: 9, 43-80, 1975.
- Zadeh L.A., The concept of a linguistic variable and its application to approximate reasoning, Part 1, 2 and 3, Information Sciences, 8, 3, 199-249, 1975; 8, 4, 301-357, 1975; 9, 1, 43-80, 1976.
- Xu X., The SIR method: A superiority and inferiority ranking method for multi criteria decision making, European Journal of Operation Research, 131, 587-602, 2001.
- Brans J.P., Vincke Ph., Mareschal B., How to select and how to rank projects: The PROMETHEE method, European Journal of Operational Research, 24, 228-238, 1986.
- Janic M., Reggiani A., An Application of the Multiple Criteria Decision Making (MCDM) Analysis to the Selection of a New Hub Airport, EJTIR, 2, 2, 113-142, 2002.
- Bates K., Amundson S., Morris W., Schroeder R.G., The crucial interrelationship between manufacturing strategy and organizational culture, Management Science, 41(10), 1565-1580, 1995.