The Effect of Perceived Transformational Leadership Style on Employee Engagement: The Mediating Effect of Leader's Emotional Intelligence
Employee engagement has been at the center of attention for human resource personnel and researchers who stated that employee engagement can be a key driver of an organization's business success. Many researchers have found in recent researches that a transformational leadership style has a beneficial connection with employee engagement. Thus, this study aims to find the causal effect of perceived transformational leadership on employee engagement through the mediating role of leader's emotional intelligence. We analyze the data from a sample of 338 full-time employees working in the ICT sector in Palestine using confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) and structural equation modelling (SEM) to test the hypothesis. Later, the bootstrapping analysis was conducted to confirm the mediation test in this study. The finding shows that transformational leadership style has a significant effect on employee engagement for the mediating role of emotional intelligence. The effect of transforma-tional leadership on employee engagement was found to be completely mediated by leader's emotional intelligence at work. Theoretically, this empirical study contributed to the new knowledge on the unique mediating effects of leader's emotional intelligence in the relationship between transformational leadership and employee engagement in the Middle Eastern Region. Practically, this study has manage-rial implication in the area of organizational management, leadership and human resource management. (original abstract)
- Ababneh, O.M.A., 2015. Conceptualizing and measuring employee engagement, and examin-ing the antecedents of leadership styles and per-sonality attributes (Doctoral dissertation, Auckland University of Technology).
- Arunima, S., Ajeya, J., Sengupta, A.K., Mari-amma, P., Tripathi, K.K., 2014. Comparison of transformational leadership and its different attributes of leadership with emotional intelligence in Indian healthcare: An empirical aspect. Advances in Management, 7(10), p.37.
- Awang, Z., 2015. SEM Made Simple: A Gentle Approach to Learning Structural Equation Mod-eling. Bandar Baru Bangi, MPWS Rich Resources.
- Bakker, A.B., Albrecht, S.L., Leiter, M.P., 2011. Key questions regarding work engagement. European journal of work and organizational psychology, 20(1), pp.4-28.
- Bass, B., Avolio, B., 2004. Manual for Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire: Sampler Set. Mind Garden Inc., Redwood City, CA.Bass, B.M. (1985).
- Bass, B.M., Riggio, R.E., 2006. Transformational leadership. Psychology Press.
- Carasco-Saul, M., Kim, W., Kim, T., 2015. Leadership and employee engagement: Proposing research agendas through a review of literature. Human Resource Development Review, 14(1), pp.38-63.
- Effectory International, 2016. Global Employee Engagement Index. https://www.effectory.com/knowledge/themes/employee-engagement-surv ey/.Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Effectory, 2018. Global Employee Engagement Index. https://www.effectory.com/knowledge/blog/discover-the-latest-global-employee-engagement-and-commitment-insights/.Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Freedman, J., 2013. The Amadori Case: Supplying McDonalds - Organizational Engagement, Emotional Intelligence and Performance. Retrieved from: http://jmfreedman.com/2013/04/the-amadori-case-supplying-mcdonalds-organizational.
- Gignac, G.E., 2010b. Genos emotional intelligence inventory technical manual. (2nd ed.). Retrieved from http://www.genosinternational .com/emotionalintelligence/technical-manual.
- Hewitt, A., 2017. Trends in global employee engagement: Global anxiety erodes employee engagement gains. Talent, Rewards & Perfor-mance.
- Liu, J., Cho, S., 2018. Interaction effect of display rules and emotional intelligence on hotel managers' and non-managers' work engagement. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 30(3), pp.1903-1919.
- Ochalski, S., 2016. The moderating role of emotional intelligence on the relationship between transformational leadership and work engagement. International Leadership Journal, 8(2), pp.68-87.
- Ravichandran, K., Arasu, R., Kumar, S.A., 2011. The impact of emotional intelligence on employee work engagement behavior: An empirical study. International Journal of Business and Management, 6(11), p.157.
- Schaufeli, W.B., Bakker, A.B., 2003. Utrecht work engagement scale: Preliminary manual. Occupational Health Psychology Unit, Utrecht University, Utrecht, 26.
- Serrano, S.A., Reichard, R.J., 2011. Leadership strategies for an engaged workforce. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research, 63(3), p.176.
- Shuck, B., Herd, A.M., 2012. Employee engagement and leadership: Exploring the conver-gence of two frameworks and implications for leadership development in HRD. Human resource development review, 11(2), pp.156-181.
- Shuck, B., Wollard, K., 2010. Employee engagement and HRD: A seminal review of the foundations. Human resource development review, 9(1), pp.89-110.
- The State of Employee Engagement in 2018: Leverage leadership and culture to maximize engagement, from: https://www.hr.com/en/ resources/free_research_white_papers/the-state-of-employee-engagement-in-2018-mar2018_jeq fvgoq.html
- Thor, S. 2013. MOOD righting. Quality Progress, 46(5), pp.34-40.
- Wallace, L., Trinka, J., 2009. Leadership and employee engagement. Public Management, 91(5), pp.10-13.
- Webb, K.S., 2013. How managers' emotional intelligence impacts employees' satisfaction and commitment: A structural equation model. The IUP Journal of Organizational Behavior, 13(2), pp.7-24.
- Yasin Ghadi, M., Fernando, M., Caputi, P., 2013. Transformational leadership and work engagement: The mediating effect of meaning in work. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 34(6), pp.532-550.
- Ybarra, O., Kross, E., Sanchez-Burks, J., 2014. The "big idea" that is yet to be: Toward a more motivated, contextual, and dynamic model of emotional intelligence. Academy of Management Perspectives, 28(2), pp.93-107.
- Zhu, W., Avolio, B.J., Walumbwa, F.O., 2009. Moderating role of follower characteristics with transformational leadership and follower work engagement. Group & Organization Management, 34(5), pp.590-619.