The Determination of Performance Measures by Using a Balanced Scorecard Framework
The aim of this study was to determine the contributions of the balanced scorecard (BSC) methods to identify the relationship between the objectives and activities and examine how the BSC should be formed in a manufacturing company. The BSC framework was examined via a case study in a yarn manufacturing company. The activities to be carried out by the company to achieve its objectives and how the appropriate measures are determined in evaluating the contribution of the activities to the achievement of objectives are explained under the BSC approach. The BSC implementation and adaptation have facilitated in a family owned company because of its fast decision-making process. Objectives are made clear in accordance with the company's strategy and causal relationship between objectives and activities are linked by the strategy map. The BSC implementation shows that financial measures are not enough to evaluate the effects of all the activities on the objectives in a company. The cooperation between departments in the company and the efficiency of corporation meetings increases. The meetings have become more result-oriented due to clarifying objectives and responsibility of individual levels.(original abstract)
- Aurelia, S., Cardonib, A., Del Baldoc, M., Lombardid, R. 2018. The Balanced Scorecard Logic in the Management Control and Reporting of Small Business Company Networks: A Case Study. Accounting and Management Information Systems, 17(2), pp.191-214.
- Evangelista de Barros, O.J., Wanderley, C.D.A. 2016. Adaptation of the Balanced Scorecard: Case Study in a Fuel distribution Company. Revista Contabilidade & Finanças, 27(72), pp.320-333.
- Barnabè, F., Busco, C., 2012. The Causal Relationships between Performance Drivers and Out-comes: Reinforcing Balanced Scorecards' Implementation through System Dynamics Models. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 8(4), pp.528-538.
- Carlström, E.D., 2012. Strategies for Change: Adaptation to new Accounting Conditions. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 8(1), pp. 41-61.
- Chriyha, A., Beidouri, Z., Bouksour, O., 2012. Proposal of a Performance Model Based on the Balanced Scorecard for the Moroccan Textile Industry. International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI), 9(5), pp.410-417
- Coe, N., Letza, S., 2014. Two Decades of the Balanced Scorecard: A Review of Developments. The Poznan University of Economics Re-view, 14(1), pp.63-75
- Costa Oliveira, H.M., 2014. The Balanced Scorecard Operating as A Risk Management Tool. Review of Economic Studies & Research Virgil Madgearu, 7(2), pp.41-57
- de Andrade Guerra, J.B.S.O., Garcia, J., de An-drade Lima, M., Barbosa, S.B., Heerdt, M.L., Berchin, I.I., 2018. A Proposal of a Balanced Scorecard for an Environmental Education Pro-gram at Universities. Journal of Cleaner Pro-duction, 172, pp.1674-1690.
- Dhamayantie, E. 2018. Designing A Balanced Scorecard for Cooperatives. International Jour-nal of Organizational Innovation (Online), 11(2), pp.220-227.
- Gupta, G., Salter, S.B. 2018. The Balanced Scorecard beyond Adoption. Journal of Interna-tional Accounting Research, 17(3), pp.115-134.
- Humphreys, K.A., Gary, M.S., Trotman, K.T. 2016. Dynamic Decision Making Using the Balanced Scorecard Framework. The Accounting Review, 91(5), pp.1441-1465.
- Kaplan, R., Norton, D., 1992. The Balanced Scorecard: Measures that Drive Performance, Harvard Business Review, 70(1), pp.71-79.
- Kaplan, R.S., Norton, D.P., 1996a. Linking the Balanced Scorecard to Strategy. California Management Review, 39(1), pp.53-79.
- Kaplan R.S., Norton, D.P., 1996b. Knowing the Score. Management Strategy, November-December, pp.30-33.
- Kaplan, R.S., Norton, D.P., 2007. Using the balanced scorecard as a strategic management system. Harvard Business Review, 85(7-8), pp.150-161.
- Karabay, G., Kurumer, G., 2012. Managing Through Strategic Performance Management in Apparel Companies. Fibres & Textiles in East-ern Europe, 4 (93), pp.13-19.
- Kopia, J., Kompalla, A., Buchmüller, M., Heinemann, B., 2017. Performance Measure-ment of Management System Standards Using the Balanced Scorecard. Amfiteatru Economic, 19(11), pp.981-1002.
- Lueg, R., Vu, L., 2015. Success Factors in Bal-anced Scorecard Implementations - A literature review. Management Revue, 26(4), pp.306-327.
- Malagueño, R., Lopez-Valeiras, E., Gomez-Conde, J. 2017. Balanced Scorecard in SMEs: Effects on Innovation and Financial Perfor-mance. Small Business Economics, pp.1-24.
- Miloloža, I., 2018. Impact of Leadership Style to Financial Performance of Enterprises. Business Systems Research Journal: International Jour-nal of the Society for Advancing Business & In-formation Technology (BIT), 9(1), pp.93-106
- Narayanamma, P.L., Lalitha, K., 2016. Balanced Scorecard-The Learning & Growth Perspective. Aweshkar Research Journal, 21(2), pp.59-66.
- Norton, D., Kaplan, R., 1993. Putting the Bal-anced Scorecard to Work. Harvard Business Re-view, 71(5), pp.134-140.
- Quesado, P.R., Aibar Guzmán, B., Lima Ro-drigues, L., 2018. Advantages and Contributions in the Balanced Scorecard Implementation. Intangible Capital, 14(1), pp.186-201.
- Yancy, A.A. 2017. Who Adopts Balanced Scorecards? An Empirical Study. International Journal of Business, Accounting & Finance, 11(2), pp.24-37.
- Yin, R.K., 1994. Case Study Research Design and Methods. California: Sage Publications.