Influence of Modern Process Performance Indicators on Corporate Performance - the Empirical Study
The increasing pressure of globalisation on the worldwide market has forced enterprises to shift their focus from product quality to effectiveness of internal business processes. The object of interest of this paper is a modern management approach based on corporate performance evaluation by measuring the performance of internal processes. The paper aims to prove that the use of modern indicators and the measurement of internal processes belong among factors that have a direct positive impact on corporate performance. To reach the aim, empirical primary research was carried out. The paper focused on research results regarding the use of modern indicators for the measurement of business processes in Slovak industrial enterprises from selected branches. The primary quantitative research was conducted using questionnaires. The research aimed to test the hypothesis stating that enterprises using modern indicators to measure process performance have been reaching more positive ROE values, representing a basic indicator of corporate performance. Dependences among the data selected from the empirical research were analysed using statistical methods, namely, the chi-squared test, T-test and the correlation analysis. Based on the statistically processed data, the authors concluded that business processes are a basic source for the evaluation of corporate performance. Higher ROE values can be reached using modern process indicators, especially in mass production enterprises. The paper contributed to the further development of knowledge in performance management, specifically, process-oriented management. (original abstract)
- Agarwal, A., Shankar, R., & Tiwari, M.K. (2007). Modeling agility of supply chain. Industrial Marketing Management, 36, 443-457. doi:10.1016/j.indmar-man.2005.12.004
- Armistead, C., & Machin, S. (1997). Implications of business process management for operations management. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 17(9), 886-98.
- Development Processes (2014). Performance Measurement Process. Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education.
- Dobrovič, J. et al. (2018). Balanced Scorecard concept as a tool of strategic management and its usage in the construction industry. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 18(2), 59-72. doi: 10.17512/pjms.2018.18.2.05
- Evans, O. (2018). Improved financial performance without improved operational efficiency: the case of Nigerian firms. Forum Scientiae Oeconomia, 6(3), 25-39. doi: 10.23762/FSO_VOL6_NO3_2
- Franek, J., & Kashi, K. (2017). Application of hybrid madm methods for performance evaluation in manufacturing. Forum Scientiae Oeconomia, 5(2), 41-54. doi: 10.23762/fso_vol5no2_17_4
- Gradišar et al. (2008). Model - based Production Control. Journal for Control, Measurement, Electronics, Computing and Communications, 49(3-4).
- Harrington, H. (1995). Total Improvement Management - The Next Generation in Performance Improvement. New York, United States: McGraw-Hill.
- Hudson et al. (2001). Theory and Practice in SME Performance Measurement Systems. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 21(8), 1096-1115.
- Jones, C. (1994). Improving your key business processes. The TQM Magazine, 6(2), 25-29.
- Kaplan, R.S., & Norton, D.P. (2000). The Balanced Scorecard. Praha, Czech Republic: Grada Publishing.
- Kiseľáková, D. et al. (2018). Analysis of enterprise performance and competitiveness to streamline managerial decisions. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 17(2), 101-111. doi: 10.17512/pjms.2018.17.2.09
- Kueng, P. et al. (2001). A Holistic Process Performance Analysis through a Performance Data Warehouse. Proceedings of the American Conference on Information Systems, Boston, USA.
- Marcinekova, K., & Sujova, A., (2015). The influence of the process control level on the enterprises' ROE. Procedia Economics and Finance, 34, 290-295. doi: 10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01632-9
- Melan, E. (1989). Process management: a unifying framework for improvement. National Productivity Review, 8(4), 395-406.
- Milanović Glavan, Lj. (2011). Understanding Process Performance Measurement System. Business System Research, 2(2), 1-56.
- Ortega, A., Resinas, M., & Ruiz-Cort´es, A. (2010). Defining Process Performance Indicators: An Ontological Approach. In Meersman, R. et al. (Eds.), OTM, Part I, LNCS 6426 (pp. 555-572). Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag.
- Ortega, A., Resinas, M., Cabanillas, C., & Ruiz-Cort´es, A. (2013). On the definition and design-time analysis of process performance indicators. Information Systems, 38, 470-490. doi: 10.1016/j.is.2012.11.004
- Palmberg, K. (2009). Exploring process management: are there any widespread models and definitions? The TQM Journal, 21(2), 203-215. doi: 10.1108/17542730910938182
- Parmenter, D. (2007). Key performance indicators. 1st. ed. New Jersey, United States: John Wiley & Sons.
- Pritchard, J., & Armistead, C. (1999). Business process management: lessons from European business. Business Process Management Journal, 5(1), 10-32.
- Remeň, O., & Sujová, A. (2018). Management of changes in business processes: an empirical study in Slovak enterprises, Engineering Management in Production and Services, 10(3), 37-50. doi: 10.2478/emj-2018-0015
- Rongier et al. (2010). Towards performance measurement system to Control Disastre Response. Collaborative Networks for Sustainable World. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer.
- Rubin, A. (2010). Statistic for Evidence-Based Practice and Evaluation. 2nd Edition. Belmont, United States: Brooks/Cole.
- Senvar et al. (2014). Prioritization of balanced scorecard measurement indicators as a process management approach via fuzzy AHP: case study in automotive industry. Technical Gazette, 21(1), 155-162.
- Shuttleworth, M. (2008). Student's T-Test. Retrieved from https://explorable.com/students-t-test
- Sinclair, D., & Zairi, M. (1995). Effective process management through performance measurement, Part III: an integrated model of total quality-based performance measurement. Business Process Re-engineering and Management Journal, 1(3), 50-65.
- Šmída, F. (2007). Zavádění a rozvoj procesního řízení ve firmě. Praha, Czech Republic: Grada Publishing.
- Soleimannejad, F. (2004). Six Sigma, Basic Steps & Implementation. Bloomington, United States: Author-House.
- Sujova, A. (2013). Business Process Performance Management - a Modern Approach to Corporate Performance Management. Liberec Economic Forum. Liberec, Czech Republic: TU Liberec.
- Sujova, A., & Marcinekova, K. (2015). Modern Methods of Process Management Used in Slovak Enterprises. Procedia Economics and Finance, 23, 889-893. doi: 10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00381-0
- Sujova, A., Marcinekova, K., & Hittmar, S. (2017). Sustainable Optimization of Manufacturing Process Effectiveness in Furniture Production. Sustainability, 9(6), 923. doi:10.3390/su9060923
- Sujová, A., Simanová, Ľ., & Marcineková, K. (2016). Sustainable Process Performance by Application of Six Sigma Concepts: The Research Study of Two Industrial Cases. Sustainability, 8(3), 260. doi: 10.3390/su8030260
- Vukomanovič et al. (2010). Leading, lagging and perceptive performance measures in the construction industry. Construction: An International Journal, 2(1), 103-111.