Deconstructing the Barriers of Thought - the Need for Embeddedness of Education and Business
The need to match education and business goals is an endeavour and a challenge for any educational institution, especially for higher education institutions. This challenge has become an important focus over the last decades due to the claimed relationship between education and innovation as well as the potential for economic development. The biggest challenge seems to be to overcome the barriers of thought and objectives that exist between the two worlds of education and business. Indeed, although many attempts and programmes are being developed almost all over the world to bridge these two realities, many clashes and disillusions exist. For different reasons, this issue is viewed almost exclusively from the academic perspective, with the entrepreneurial perspective being completely absent. Based on the experience of both the academic and business worlds, the authors commence this contribution by analysing the causes of this mismatch of interests. They conclude by presenting some possible solutions for improving this misalignment.(original abstract)
- 1. Aristotle (1906). The Nicomachean ethics of Aristotle. London: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trübner & Co. Retrieved from https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/sites/default/files/attachments/ files/Nicomachean_Ethics_0.pdf.
- 2. Davies, J., de Graaf, E. and Kolmos, A. (Eds.) (2011). PBL across the disciplines: research into best practice. Aalborg: Universitätsforlag.
- 3. Demain, A. (2001). The relationships between universities and industry: The American university perspective. Food Technol. Biotechnol, 39(3), 157-160.
- 4. Dragomir, C.-C., and Pânzaru, S. (2015). The relationship between education and entrepreneurship in EU member states. Review of General Management, 22(2), 55-65.
- 5. Giancarlo, P., and Squazzoni, F. (2007) Academic entrepreneurship and scientific innovation: micro-foundations and institutions. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate. net/publication/242142540.
- 6. Gomes, A., Lopes, B. (2010). Comunicação e eficácia numa equipa virtual: regras e afinidade. Revista Gestão e Desenvolvimento, 17/18, 73-98. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10400.14/9112.
- 7. Harmer, N. (2014). Project-Based Learning - Literature Review. Plymouth University. Retrieved from https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/uploads/production/document/path/2/2733/ Literature_review_Project-based_learning.pdf.
- 8. Heikkinen, K.-P. (2014). LAB Learning Model - Introduction. Oulu University of Applied Sciences.
- 9. Kolstad, I., and Wiig, A. (2015). Education and entrepreneurial success. Small Business Economics, 44 (4), 783-796.
- 10. Lakéus, M. (2015). Entrepreneurship in education: What, Why, When, How. Entrepreneurship 360 Background paper. OECD.
- 11. Lackéus, M., Lundqvist, M., Williams, M. (2013, May) How can Entrepreneurship Bridge Between Traditional and Progressive Education? ECSB Entrepreneurship Education Conference, Århus, Denmark.
- 12. Ministério da Agricultura e do Mar (2015) Portaria n. 402/2015 de 9 de novembro. Diário da República, 1. série, n. 219.
- 13. Noordin, M.K. (2014). Project-Based Learning framework for non-technical skills. Doctoral dissertation. Kuala Lumpur: Universiti Teknologi Malasya, Faculty of Education.
- 14. Nyeko, K.E., and Sing, N.K. (2015). Academic entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial academics: are they the same. International Journal of Social Science and Humanity, 5(12), 1050-1055.
- 15. Raposo, M., and Paço, A. (2011). Entrepreneurship education; relationship between education and entrepreneurial activity. Psicothema, 23(3), 453-457.
- 16. Rodrigues, L.F., Brito, P.S. Valente, R.P., Farinha, N. and Gomes, A.C. (2015). Aprendizagem baseada em projetos num ciclo de estudos de Tecnologias de Produção de Biocombustíveis. In S. Gonçalves, H. Almeida, F. Neves, F. (Eds.), Pedagogia no Ensino Superior. Coimbra, Portugal: CINEP/IPC, 209-236.
- 17. Siegel, D.S. and Wright, M. (2015). Academic entrepreneurship: time for rethink? ERC Research Paper, 32, June.
- 18. Sluis, J., Praag, M. and Vijverberg, W. (2004) Education and Entrepreneurship in Industrialized Countries: A Meta-analysis. Retrieved from https://pure.uva.nl/ws/files/ 2107544/35537_wp51_04.pdf.
- 19. University of Oxford (2015). International Trends in Higher Education. International Strategy Office.
- 20. Wallin, J., Isaksson, O., Larsson, A. and Elfström, B.-O. (2014). Bridging the gap between university and industry: three mechanisms for innovation efficiency. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 9(1), 1440005-1-1440005-18.