Green Marketing Orientation: Evolution, Conceptualization and Potential Benefits
Global economic fluctuation, post-Brexit challenges, changes in the landscape of corporate social responsibility are pushing managers to build sustainability into the performance of marketing mix. Traditional marketing is no longer able to address all the issues in modern markets. This led to green marketing, a new marketing philosophy. The paper provides researchers and marketing managers with a comprehensive view of the concept of green marketing, its causes, contents, and outcomes. Authors suggest a structured and outcome-based viewpoint to the construct of green marketing. Theoretical presumptions confirm structuration of green marketing initiatives to strategic, tactical, and operational levels. It was found out that cohesive marketing activities in these levels have the crucial impact of green marketing in organizational, environmental, and social contexts. Strategic, tactical, and operational activities in the field of green marketing may lead to business development, improvement of the natural ecosystem, and increased quality of life. The findings of the research present opportunities for researchers and managers to apply green marketing orientation.
- Ahmadzadeh, M., Eidi, F., & Kagopour, M. (2017). Studying the effects of environmental commitments on green marketing strategies. International Journal of Economic Perspectives, 11(1), 816-823.
- Anand, V. P. (2013). Green marketing and its importance for companies. International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 4(8), 46-48.
- Arnaud, B. (2017). Extended producer responsibility and green marketing: an application to packaging. Environmental & Resource Economics, 67, 285-296.
- Boztepe, A. (2012). Green marketing and its impact on consumer buying behaviour. European Journal of Economic and Political Studies, 5(1), 5-21.
- Carbon Footprint LTD. (2019). Carbon Calculator. https://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx.
- Chamorro, A., & Bañegil, T. M. (2006). Green marketing philosophy: a study of Spanish firms with ecolabels. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 13, 11-24.
- Chan, R. Y. (2000). An emerging green market in China: myth or reality? Business Horizons, 43(2), 55.
- D'Souza, C., Taghian, M., Sullivan-Mort, G., & Gilmore, A. (2015). An evaluation of the role of green marketing and a firm's internal practices for environmental sustainability. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 23(7), 600-615.
- Garg, A. (2015). Green marketing for sustainable development: an industry perspective. Sustainable Development, 23, 301-316.
- Garg, S., & Sharma, V. (2017). Green marketing: an emerging approach to sustainable development. International Journal of Applied Agricultural Research, 12(2), 177-184.
- Gázquez-Abad, J. C., Jiménez-Guerrero, J. F., Mondéjar-Jiménez, J. A., & Cordente-Rodríguez, M. (2011). How companies integrate environmental issues into their marketing strategies. Environmental Engineering & Management Journal, 10(12), 1809-1820.
- Kalburan, C., & Hasiloglu, S. B. (2018). The importance of environmental attitudes towards products for sustainability and business strategies. Present Environment & Sustainable Development, 12(2), 233-245.
- Katrandjiev, H. (2016). Ecological marketing, green marketing, sustainable marketing: synonyms or an evolution of ideas? Economic Alternatives, 1, 71-82.
- Keyvani, S. M. A. (2011). A comparison of operational marketing and strategic marketing: an organizational perspective. African Journal of Business Management, 5(19), 7767-7769.
- Kilbourne, W. E. (1995). Green advertising: salvation or oxymoron? Journal of Advertising, 24(2), 7-20.
- Ku, H. H., Kuo, C. C., Wu, C. L., & Wu, C. Y. (2012). Communicating green marketing appeals effectively. The role of consumers' motivational orientation to promotion versus prevention. Journal of Advertising, 41(4), 41-50.
- Lazar, C. I. (2017). Perspectives on green marketing and green businesses for sustainable development. Bulletin of the Transilvania University of Brasov, 10(59), 45-52.
- Mahamuni, A., & Tambe, M. (2014). Green marketing in automobile and ancillary industry: issues and implications. Journal of Commerce & Management Thought, 5-3, 363-377.
- Mathur, L. K., & Mathur, I. (2000). An analysis of the wealth effects of green marketing strategies. Journal of Business Research, 50(2), 193-200.
- Mishra, P., & Sharma, P. (2014). Green marketing: challenges and opportunities for business. BVIMR Management Edge, 7(1), 78-86.
- Montague, J., & Mukherjee, A. (2010). Marketing green products: what really matters? Proceedings of The Northeast Business & Economics Association, 433-441.
- Padhy, N., & Vishnoi, P. (2015). Green marketing mix and sustainable development. International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 6(7), 34-36.
- Papadas, K. K., Avlonitis, G. J., & Carrigan, M. (2017). Green marketing orientation: conceptualization, scale development and validation. Journal of Business Research, 80, 236-246.
- Parkman, I. D., & Krause, A. J. (2018). The diamond model of authentic green marketing: evidence from the sustainable architecture industry. Business and Society Review, 1, 83-118.
- Peattie, K. (2001). Towards sustainability: the third age of green marketing. The Marketing Review, 2, 129-146.
- Polonsky, J. (2011). Transformative green marketing: impediments and opportunities. Journal of Business Research, 64, 1311-1319.
- Ranjan, R. K., & Kushwaha, R. (2017). Impact of green marketing strategies on consumer purchase behaviour. Review of Management, 7(3-4), 9-22.
- Sharma, A., & Iyer, G. R. (2012). Resource-constrained product development: implications for green marketing and green supply chains. Industrial Marketing Management, 41, 599-608.
- Shi, Y., & Yang, Y. (2018). Critical factors to green marketing strategies implementation of Chinese enterprises. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 12(2), 76-93.
- Shrum, L., McCarty, J. A., & Lowrey, T. M. (1995). Buyer characteristics of the green consumer and their implications for advertising strategy, Journal of Advertising, 24(2), 71-82.
- Singh, P., Singh, R., & Sharma, S. (2016). Emergence of green marketing strategies and sustainable development in India. Journal of Commerce & Management Thought, 7-4, 693-710.
- Suplico, L. T. (2009). Impact of green marketing on the students' purchase decision. Journal of International Business Research, 8, 71-81.
- Suresh, G. (2014). A study of the constructive factors influencing green marketing in Tamil Nadu. The IUP Journal of Marketing Management, 13(1), 45-58.
- Talebi, P., Omidi, N. A. M., & Lashgarara, F. (2018). Designing a green marketing behavioural pattern focusing on poultry products. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, 16(5), 6047-6061.
- Thapa, S., & Verma, S. (2014). Analysis of green marketing as environment protection tool: a study of consumer of Dehradun. International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 5(9), 78-84.
- Wymer, W., & Polonsky, M. J. (2015). The limitations and potentialities of green marketing. Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing, 27, 239-262.
- Zampese, E. R. S., Moori, R. G., & Caldeira, A. (2016). Green marketing as a mediator between supply chain management and organizational performance. Revista de Administracao Mackenzie, 17(3), 183-211.