A geospatial approach to flash flood hazard mapping in the city of Warangal, Telangana, India
Dense urbanization leading to uncontrolled transformations within settlements result in flash flooding with overflowing drains leading to a greater inconvenience for the public and damage to private properties. Hence mapping of flash floods would be useful in identifying the high-risk flood zones for disaster response and urban services, during emergencies with rainfall events of high intensity. This article aims to prepare a flood hazard map of Warangal Municipal Corporation (WMC) in Telangana State, India. WMC is chronically affected due to a rise in water levels resulting in flash floods, with an increase in encroachments. The factors considered in this study are rainfall (curve number), surface slope and surface roughness, type of soil, and distance to main channel, drainage density, and land use cover. To decide the relative weight of the impact of each flood causative factors an Analytical Hierarchical Process (AHP) was used. Accordingly, a composite Flood Hazard Index (FHI) has been derived by using the multiple-criteria decision-making tools by integrating these into a Geographical Information System (GIS). The Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT) in Quantum GIS (QGIS), which is a hydrological model, was used to evaluate the projection of streamflow over the water basin and model parameters were optimized using water balance equations during calibration and validation periods. (original abstract)
- Alaghmand S., Bin-Abdullah R., Abustan I., Vosoogh B. 2010. GIS-based River Flood Hazard Mapping in Urban Area: A Case Study in Kayu Ara River Basin, Malaysia. "International Journal of Engineering & Technology", 2: 488-500.
- Aldescu G.C. 2008. The necessity of flood risk maps on Timis river. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 4. IOP Publishing.
- Black A.R., Burns J.C. 2002. Re-assessing the flood risk in Scotland. "Science of the Total Environment", 294, 1: 169-184.
- Chen Y-R., Yeh C-H., Yu B. 2011. Integrated application of the analytic hierarchy process and the geographic information system for flood risk assessment and flood plain management in Taiwan. "Natural Hazards", 59, 3: 1261-1276.
- Chow V. 1959. Open-Channel Hydraulics. McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- Correia F.N., Da Graça Saraiva M., Da Silva F.N., Ramos I. 1999. Floodplain management in urban developing areas. Part I. Urban Growth Scenarios and land-use controls. "Water Resources Management", 13, 1: 1-21.
- De Sherbinin A., Levy M., Adamo S., MacManus K., Yetman G., Mara V., Razafindrazay L., Goodrich B., Srebotnjak T., Aichele C. 2012. Migration and risk: net migration in marginal ecosystems and hazardous areas. "Environmental Research Letters", 7, 4: 045602.
- Dewan A.M., Monirul Islam M., Kumamoto T., Nishigaki M. 2007. Evaluating flood hazard for land-use planning in greater Dhaka of Bangladesh using remote sensing and GIS techniques. "Water Resources Management", 21, 9: 1601-1612.
- Dixon K.W., Lanzante J.R., Nath M.J., Hayhoe K., Stoner A., Radhakrishnan A., Balaji V., Gaitán C.F. 2016. Evaluating the Stationarity Assumption in Statistically Downscaled Climate Projections: Is Past Performance an Indicator of Future Results? "Climate change", 135,395-408.
- Dorn H., Vetter M., Höfle B. 2014. GIS-Based Roughness Derivation for Flood Simulations: A Comparison of Orthophotos, LiDAR and Crowdsourced Geodata, "Remote Sensing"., 6; 1739-1759.
- Elkhrachy I. 2015. Flash Flood Hazard Mapping Using Satellite Images and GIS Tools: A case study of Najran City, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA). "The Egyptian Journal of Remote Sensing and Space Sciences", 18, 2: 261-278.
- Emmanouloudis D., Myronidis D., Ioannou K. 2008. Assessment of flood risk in Thasos Island with the combined use of multicriteria analysis AHP and geographical information system. "Innovative Applications Information Agricultural Environment". 2: 103-115.
- Fernández D.S., Lutz M.A. 2010. Urban flood hazard zoning in Tucumán Province, Argentina, using GIS and Multi Criteria Decision Analysis. "Engineering Geology", 111, 1-4: 90-98.
- Forte F., Pennetta L., Strobl R.O. 2005. Historic records and GIS applications for flood risk analysis in the Salento peninsula (southern Italy)." Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences", 5, 6: 833-844.
- Gerl T., Bochow M., Kreibich H. 2014. Flood Damage Modeling on the basis of Urban Structure Mapping Using High-Resolution Remote Sensing Data. "Water", 6, 8: 2367-2393.
- Jaafari A., Najafi A., Pourghasemi H.R., Rezaeian J., Sattarian A. 2014. A GIS-based frequency ratio and index of entropy models for landslide susceptibility assessment in the Caspian forest, northern Iran. "International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology", 11, 4: 909-926.
- Koehler K.A., Volckens J. 2011. Prospects and pitfalls of occupational hazard mapping: 'between these lines there be dragons', "Annals of Occupational Hygiene", 55, 8: 829-840.
- Koelle H. 1975. Zur Berucksichtingung von interdependenzen bei Entscheidung sprozessen. Analysen und Prognosen uber die Welt von Morgen, 7.
- Kumar T., Gautam A.K., Kumar T. 2014. Appraising the accuracy of GIS-based Multi-criteria decision-making technique for delineation of Groundwater potential zones. "Water Resources Management", 28, 13: 4449.
- Liu Y.B., Gebremeskel S., De Smedt F., Hoffmann L., Pfister, L. 2003. A diffusive transport approach for flow routing in GIS-based flood modeling. "Journal of Hydrology", 283, 1-4: 91-106.
- Mansor S., Shariah M., Billa L., Setiawan I., Jabar F. 2004. Spatial technology for natural risk management. "Disaster Prevention and Management". 13, 5: 364-373.
- Meja-Navarro M., Wohl E.E., Oaks S.D. 1994. Geological hazards, vulnerability, and risk assessment using GIS: model for Glenwood Springs, Colorado." Geomorphology", 10, 1-4: 331-354.
- Meyer V., Scheuer S., Haase D. 2009. A multicriteria approach for flood risk mapping exemplified at the Mulde river, Germany. "Natural Hazards", 48, 1: 17-39.
- National Engineering Handbook, 1972. Design hydrographs, NEH Notice Section 4 Hydrology, 21: 4-102.
- Ologunorisa T.E. 2003. An assessment of flood vulnerability zones in the Niger delta, Nigeria." International Journal of Environmental Studies", 61, 1: 31-38.
- Ouma Y.O., Tateishi R. 2014. Urban Flood Vulnerability and Risk Mapping Using Integrated Multi-Parametric AHP and GIS: Methodological Overview and Case Study Assessment. "Water", 6, 6: 1515-1545.
- Patel D.P., Srivastava P.K. 2013. Flood hazards mitigation analysis using remote sensing and GIS: Correspondence with town planning scheme. "Water Resources Management", 27, 7: 2353-2368.
- Sanyal J., Lu X. 2006. GIS-based flood hazard mapping at different administrative scales: a case study in Gangetic West Bengal. "Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography", 27: 207-220.
- Schumann A.H., Funke R., Schultz G.A. 2000. Application of a geographic information system for conceptual rainfall-runoff modeling. "Journal of Hydrology", 240, 1-2: 45-61.
- Sinha R., Bapalu G., Singh L., Rath B. 2008. Flood risk analysis in the Kosi river basin, north Bihar using multi-parametric approach of analytical hierarchy process (AHP). "Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing", 36, 4: 335-349.
- Sowmya K., John C.M., Shrivasthava N.K. 2015. Urban flood vulnerability zoning of Cochin City, southwest coast of India, using Remote Sensing and GIS." Natural Hazards", 75, 2: 1271-1286.
- Tehrany M.S., Pradhan B., Jebur M.N. 2013. Spatial prediction of flood susceptible areas using rule based decision tree (DT) and a novel ensemble bivariate and multivariate statistical models in GIS. "Journal of Hydrology", 504: 69-79.
- Tehrany M.S., Pradhan B., Jebur M.N., Neamah M. 2014. Flood susceptibility mapping using a novel ensemble weights-of-evidence and support vector machine models in GIS. "Journal of Hydrology", 512: 332-343.
- Vahidnia M.H., Alesheikh A.A., Alimohammadi A., Hosseinali F. 2010. A GIS-based neurofuzzy procedure for integrating knowledge and data in landslide susceptibility mapping. "Computers & Geosciences", 36, 9: 1101-1114.
- Van A.V.D., Logtmeijer C. 2005. Economic hotspots: visualizing vulnerability to flooding. "Natural Hazards." 36, 1-2: 65-80.
- Wang Y., Li Z., Tang Z., Zeng G. 2011. A GIS-based spatial multi-criteria approach for flood risk assessment in the Dongting Lake Region, Hunan, Central China. "Water Resources Management", 25, 13: 3465-3484.
- Zangemeister C. 1971. Nutzwertanalyse in der Systemtechnik, 4th ed. Wittemannsche Buchhandlung, Munchen.
- Zerger A. 2002. Examining GIS decision utility for natural hazard risk modelling. "Environmental Modelling & Software", 17, 3: 287-294.
- Zhu G.N., Hu J., Qi J., Gu C.C., Peng J.H. 2015. An integrated AHP and VIKOR for design concept evaluation based on rough number. Advanced Engineering Informatics, 29, 3: 408-418.