The Influence of Sustainability and Green Management Concepts on Educational Facility Performance in Nigeria
This paper investigates the impact of sustainable development and green management on the performance of an educational facility with a view of enhancing the learning environment and increasing students' achievement in Nigeria. A sequential examination of the benefits of green features and barriers in their adoption was carried out. The data for the study relied on a study sample of 400 respondents comprising university teachers, "in-resident" building professionals and postgraduate students of a built environment selected from four renowned universities in the south-west region of Nigeria. An ideation framework was constructed and multilevel analysis performed to evaluate perceptions on associated factors alongside the variable items. The low recognition of basic green benefits by the respondents was, to some extent, the result of unfamiliarity with the discussed concepts. In view of barrier factors deterring the implementation of concepts, the lack of government intervention, unavailability of formulated policies, lack of inclusion of the sustainability concept in the school curricula, and unavailability of capacity training for professionals in the building industry, were perceived to be the prime factors. The paper concludes that all stakeholders have cogent roles to play at an individual level when it comes to eliminating barriers, initiating concepts, and realizing the desired facility performance capable of ensuring a sustainable learning environment as well as promoting academic excellence in the Nigerian educational sector.(original abstract)
- ADDAE-DAPAAH K., HANG L.K., SHARON N.Y.S., 2009, Sustainability of Sustainable Real Property Development, Journal of Sustainable Real Estate (JOSRE) No.1 (1), pp. 203-225.
- AJAYI C.A. 2014. Green Buildings: A Panacea for Sustainable Property Management Practice in Nigeria, Journal of Land and Property Development 4 (2), 56 - 68.
- AKADIRI P.O., CHINYO E.A., OLOMOLAIYE P.O., 2012. Deisgn of A Sustainable Building: A Conceptual Framework for Implementing Sustainability in the Building Sector, Journal of Buildings, 2, 126 - 152. doi: 10.3390/buildings2020126, www.mdpi.com/journal/buildings/Article.
- AL-KODMANY K., 2014, Green Retrofitting Skyscrapers: A Review, Journal of Buildings, 4, 683-710. doi:10.3390/buildings4040683 (www.mdpi.com/journal/building/Review.
- BABALOLA S., 2017, Multivariate and Multivariable Regression, An Unpublished Workshop Paper for Graduate School Students of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile - Ife, Nigeria Facilitated by Stella Babalola - Johns Hopkins University, USA. September 5 - 30.
- CHOI C., 2009. Removing Market Barriers to Green Development Principles and Action Project to Promote Widespread Adoption of Green Development Practice. Journal of Sustainable Real Estate, 1 (1), 40-56.
- CALICE C., CLEMENTE C., DE SANTOLI L., FRATICELLI F., 2012, Guidelines for the Retrofit of the School Building Stock for Sustainable Urban Regeneration of the City of Rome, The Sustainable City VII, 1, 417 - 428.
- GRAF E., 2015, Raising Sustainability Awareness and Understanding in Higher Education, Working Paper, Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences, Fachbereich Wintschaft und Recht No. 08 Univ., Fachbereich 3, Frankfurt am Main.
- HAIR J.F., ANDERSON R.E., BLACK W.C., TATHAM R.L., 1998, Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA.
- HANKINSON M., BREYTENBACH A., 2012, Barriers that Impact on the implementation of Sustainable Design, Journal of Sustainable Environmental Designs and Development, 2 (1), 114-118.
- HYDES K., CREECH L., 2005, Reducing Mechanical Equipment Cost: The Economies of Green Design, Journal of Building Research and Information, 28 (5), 403-407.
- IBIKUNLE F.A., 2006 Toward Achieving Sustainable Infrastructural Development in Africa, Botswana University of Science and Technology, Palapye, Botswana.
- IHAB M.K.E., 2008, Green Classroom Retrofit Toolbox (GCRT): Evidence-Based Design Guidelines to Adopt K- 12 School Facilities for Climate Change, School of Architecture & Allied Arts, Univerity of Oregon, RFP Research (The American Institute of Architects).
- KHOSHBAKHT M., GOU Z., XIE X., HE B., DARKO A., 2018, Green Building Occupant Satisfaction: Evidence from the Australian Higher Education Sector. Doi:10.3390/su/0082890 (www.mdpi.com/journal/ sustainability) sustainability 2018, 10, 2890.
- KLINE P., 1994, An Essay Guide to Factor Analysis, Routledge, London.
- LINDSEY T.C., 2011, Sustainable Principles: Common Values for Achieving Sustainability, Journal of Cleaner Production, 19 (5), 561-565.
- MALHOTRA N.K., 1996, Marketing Research in Applied Orientation, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA.
- MANUEL C.F., FLORINDA F.M., NIDIA S.C., 2017, Sustainability in Buildings - A Teaching Approach, Journal of Energy Procedia, 107 (2017) 15-22, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2016.12.124.
- National Board for Technical Education, 2014, List of Polytechnics in Nigeria, www.nbte.gov/ ng/institutions.
- National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), 2016, Social Statistics Report, Nigeria.
- National Commission for Colleges of Education, 2011, List of Colleges of Education in Nigeria, https://www.ncce.edu.ng/colleges.
- National Research Council (NRC) Committee to Review and Assess the Health and Productivity Benefits of Green Schools, 2006, Green Schools: Attribute for Health and Learning, Washington, D.C: National Academic Press (www. nap.edu.edu/catalog/11756.html).
- National University Commission, 2014, List of Universities in Nigeria, www.nuc.edu.ng/ page/universities.
- NUR H.R., MAWAR H.M., MOHD Z.H., NORHAZARINA A.H., 2012, A Comparative Study of Green School Guidelines, Journal of Procedia - Social and Behavioural Sciences, 50 (2012) 462-471.
- NWACHUKWU U.E., 2013, The State of Science and Technology Infrastructure in Secondary Schools in Nigeria. Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, MCSER Publishing, Rome - Italy, 3 (2), 43-47.
- ODEDAIRO B.O., OKE M.O., OYALOWO B.A., 2011. Achieving Sustainable Infrastructure Development in Developing Nations: Project Management Education to the Rescue. Journal of Management Science and Engineering, 5 (4), 7-15.
- OJOKO E.O., ABUBAKAR H.O., OJOKO O., IKPE E.O., 2016. Sustainable Housing Development in Nigeria: Prospects and Challenges. Journal of Multidisciplinary Engineering Science and Technology, 3 (5), 4851-4860.
- OLADOKUN T.T., 2010, Sustainable Property Management Practice in Nigeria, A Paper Presented at the Proceeding of International Conference on Sustainability in the Built Environment.
- OLANIPEKUN T.A., 2015, Barriers to Sustainable Property Development in Lagos, International Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Protection, 2 (3), 31-37.
- OLIYIDE S., 2014, The Revolution of Green Building in Nigeria: A Myth or Reality, A Paper Presented at the Facility Roundtable with Theme: Towards Optimal Performance of Critical Infrastructure and Real Estate Assets in Nigeria. Organized by Alpha Mead Facilities and Management Services Limited (AMFacilities), Lagos.
- OMAGU F.E., 2016, Infrastructural Development in Nigeria: A Panacea for Transforming Educational Sector for Sustainable National Development. International Journal of Capacity Building in Education and Management (IJCBEM) 3 (1), 13-19.
- OYEWOLE M.O., ARALOYIN F.M., SANI K.S., 2012, Sustainable Property Investment Practice in Nigeria, Proceedings of International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management (ICCREM), Sponsored by American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); held at Kansas City (MCI), USA, October 1-2.
- OYEYOADE S.F., 2016, Sustainable Property Management: A Tool for Sustainable Building Performance and Enhanced Educational Environment, Proceeding of an International Conference on Sustainable Buildings and Infrastructure (ICOSBIN); held at International Conference Centre, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria, May 31 - June 2.
- PAEVERE P., BROWN S., 2008, Indoor Environment and Sustainable Commercial Buildings. Atlassian Confluence.
- RAZALI M.N., KAMARUDIN N., ZAINUDDIN A.Z., OTHMAN S.H. 2013, Green Property Management for Commercial Buildings, Journal of Sustainable Development No. 1 (1), pp. 133-143.
- ROBINSON J., 2005, Valuation and Analysis Applied to Environmentally Sustainable Development, A paper presented at PRRES 11th Annual Conference, Melbourne, University of Australia, Australia.
- ROPER K.O., BEAR J.L., 2006, Justifying Sustainable Buildings - Championing Green Operations, Journal of Corporate Real Estate 8 (2), 91-103.
- RUDD P., REED F., SMITH P., 2008, The Effects of the School Environment on Young People's. Attitudes to Education and Learning. Slough: NFER.
- SCHNEIDER M., 2002, Do School Facilities Affect Academic Outcomes? Washington, D.C. National Cleaning House for Educational Facilities, (www.edfacilities.org/pubs/outcomes.pdf).
- SHAOO M.K., MISHRA S.K., 2016, Green Campus: A Competitive Advantage and Sustainability for Management Institutions, DRIEMS Business Review, 1 (1), 74-80.
- UNESCO Report, 2015, Nigeria Education for All (EFA), project 2000 -2014 Assessment.
- XU P., SHEN Y., HUA J., 2012, Effectiveness of Energy Retrofit Methods in Public Buildings in China. Institute for Building Efficiency: Whitewater, WI, USA. www.institutebe.com/instituteBE/media/Library/ Resources/Existing%20Building%20Retrofits/Academic-Paper-Energy-Retrofits-in-China.pdf.
- ZHANG X., PLATTEN A., LIYIN S., 2011, Green Property Development in China: Cost and Barriers, Journal of Building and Environment, 11 (46).
- ZHU S., WANG X., CHENG X., 2012, Study on the Green Property Management and Green Building from the Perspective of Sustainable Development, Proceedings of International Conference on Construction and Real Estate Management (ICCREM), Sponsored by American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); held at Kansas City (MCI), USA, October 1-2.