Effects of Brand Experience, Brand Image and Brand Trust on Brand Building Process: the Case of Chinese Millennial Generation Consumers
Brand researchers have been in their quest for understanding how consumers evaluate brands and react to branding practices. The purpose of this study is to validate the importance of brand experience in brand building process with high- and low-involvement products of global brands in China. Four global brands (Nike, Kappa, Ferrero, Meiji) were selected for the analysis, and 1,100 participants of the millennial generation consumers participated in the online survey. The findings suggest that both rational perception and emotional feelings of consumers play important roles in the process of brand building among Chinese consumers. The relationship between brand image and brand trust, which is the initial stage of brand building process plays a vital role in consumers' purchasing decisions. Concurrently, brand experience positively influences brand image and attachment, leading to consumers' purchasing decisions. The findings also provide insights regarding different paths in the brand building process for high and low involvement product categories, suggesting the importance of differentiated branding strategies for various product categories in China. (original abstract)
- Aaker, D.A. (1996). Building strong brands, free press, New York, NY.
- Aaker, D.A. (1991). Managing brand equioty, free press, New York, NY.
- Anwar, A., Gulzar, A., Sohail, F.B., & Aram, S.N. (2011). Impact of brand image, trust and affect on consumer brand extension attitude: The mediating role of brand loyalty. International Journal of Economics and Management Sciences, 1(5), 73-79.
- Brakus, J.J., Schmitt, B.H., & Zarantello, L. (2009). Brand experience: What is it? How is it measured? Does it affect loyalty? Journal of Marketing, 73(3), 52-68.
- Belaid, S., & Behi, A.T. (2011). The role of attachment in building consumer-brand relationships: An empirical investigation in the utilitarian consumption context. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 20(1), 37-47.
- Braunsberger, K., & Munch, J.M. (1998). Source expertise versus experience effects in hospital advertising. Journal of Services Marketing, 12(1), 23-38.
- Cleff, T., Walter, N., & Xie, J. (2018). The effect of online brand experience on brand loyalty: A web of emotions. The IUO Journal of Brand Management, 15(10), 7-24.
- Chaudhuri, A., & Holbrook, M.B. (2001). The chain of effects from brand trust and brand affect to brand performance: the role of brand loyalty. Journal of Marketing, 65, 81-93.
- Dick, A.S. and K.Basu (1994). Customer loyalty: toward an integrated conceptual framework, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 22, 99-113.
- Esch FR, Langner T, Schmitt B, Geus P. Are brands forever? How knowledge and relationships affect current and future purchases. J Prod Brand Manag 2006;15(2):98-105.
- Fournier, S. (1998) Consumers and their brands: developing relationship theory in consumer research. Journal of Consumer Research 24(4): 343-353.
- Fournier, S. (2009) Lessons learned about consumers' relationships with their brands. In: D.J. Macinnis, C.W. Park and J.R. Priester (eds.) Handbook of Brand Relationships. New York: M.E. Sharpe, pp. 5-23.
- Gürhan-Canli, Z., Sarial-Abi, G., & Hayran, C. (2018). Consumers and brands across the globe: Research synthesis and new directions. Journal of International Marketing, 26(1), 96-117.
- Gefen, D., & Straub, D.W. (2004). Consumer trust in B2C e-commerce and the importance of social presence: Experiments in e-products and e-services. Omega - The International Journal of Management Science, 32, 407-24.
- Granitz, N., & Forman, H. (2015). Building self-brand connections: Exploring brand stories through a transmedia perspective. Journal of Brand Management, 22(1), 38-58.
- Hair, J.F. Jr., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J., Anderson, R.F., & Tatham, R.L. (2009). Multivariate Data analysis, Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Huang, X., Huang, Z., & Wyer Jr, R.S. (2017). The influence of social crowding on brand attachment. Journal of Consumer Research, 44, 1068-1084.
- Huang, C.C. (2017). The impacts of brand experiences in brand loyalty: Mediators of brand love and trust. Management Decision, 55(5), 915-934.
- Ha, H.Y., & Perks, H. (2005). Effects of consumer perceptions of brand experience on the web: Brand familiarity, satisfaction and brand trust. Journal of Consumer Behavior, 4(6), 438-452.
- Iglesias, O., Singh, J.J., & Batista-Foguet, J.M. (2011). The role of brand experience and affective commitment in determining brand loyalty. Journal of Brand Management, 18(8), 570, 582.
- Jung, L.H., & Soo, K.M. (2012). The effect of brand experience on brand relationship quality. Academy of Marketing Studies Journal, 16(1), 87-98.
- Keller, K.L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based brand equity, Journal of Marketing, 57, 1-22.
- Low, G.S., & Lamb, C.W. Jr. (2000). The measurement and dimensionality of brand associations. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 9(6), 350-70.
- Mabkhot, H.A., Shaari, H., & Salleh, S.M. (2017). The influence of brand image and brand personality on brand loyalty, mediating by brand trust: An empirical study. Journal Pengurusan, 50, 1-18.
- Mittal, V., & Kamakura, W.A. (2001). Satisfaction, repurchase intent and repurchase behavior: Investigating the moderating effect of customer characteristics. Journal of Marketing Research, 38, 131-42.
- MacInnis, D.J., & Valerie S. F. (2017). Humanizing brands: When brands seem to be like me, part of me, and in a relationship with me. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 27(3), 355-74.
- Morgan, R. M. and Shelby d. Hunt (1994). The commitment -trust theory of relationship marketing, Journal of Marketing, 58, 20-38.
- Park, C.W., Andreas, B.E., & Park, J.W. (2013). Attachment-aversion (AA) model of customer- brand relationships. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 23(2), 229-48.
- Park, C.W, Deborah J.M., Priester, J., Andreas, B.E., & Iacobucci, D. (2010). Brand attachment and brand attitude strength: Conceptual and empirical differentiation of two critical brand equity drivers. Journal of Marketing, 74(6), 1-17.
- Persson, N. (2010). An exploratory investigation of the elements of B2B brand image and its relationship to price premium. Industrial Marketing Management, 39, 1269-1277.
- Sherry, J.F. (2005) Brand meaning. In: A.M. Tybout and T. Calkins (eds.) Kellog on Branding. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, pp. 40-69.
- Schmitt, B., Brakus, J.J., & Zarantonello, L. (2015). From experiential psychology to consumer experience. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 25(1), 166-171.
- Schembri, S. (2009). Reframing brand experience: The experiential meaning of Harley-Davidson. Journal of Business Research, 62(12), 1299-1310.
- Van der Westhuizen, L.M. (2018). Brand loyalty: Exploring self-brand connection and brand experience. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 27(2), 172-184.
- Villar, M.E., Ai, D., & Segev, S. (2012). Chinese and American perceptions of foreign-name brands. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 21(5), 341-349.
- Walter, N., Cleff, T., & Chu, G. (2013). Brand experience's influence on customer satisfaction and loyalty: A mirage in marketing research? International Journal of Management Research and Business Strategy, 2(1), 130-144.
- Woisetschläger, D.M., & Michaelis, M. (2012). Sponsorship congruence and brand image: A pre-post event analysis. European Journal of Marketing, 46(3/4), 509-523.
- Yang, R., Ramsaran, R., & Wibowo, S. (2018). An investigation into the perceptions of Chinese consumers towards the country-of-origin of dairy products. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 42, 205-216.
- Zboja, J.J., & Voorhees, C.M. (2006). The impact of brand trust and satisfaction on retailer repurchase intention. Journal of Services Marketing, 20(6), 381-390.
- Zarantonello, L., & Schmitt, B.H. (2010). Using the brand experience scale to profile consumers and predict consumer behavior. Journal of Brand Management, 17(7), 532-540.