Financial Performance of Microfinance Institutions in Kosovo
This article seeks to investigate the determinants of financial performance of microfinance institutions in Kosovo over the period of 2007-2016. The data has been taken from twelve microfinance institutions in Kosovo. The dependent variables used as proxies for microfinance institutions' (MFI) performance are Operational self-sufficiency (OSS), Return on Assets (ROA) and Profit Margin (PM). ROA and PM are widely used indicators to analyse financial performance or profitability of MFI. The findings of this study show that the most important factor which has strong impact on financial performance of MFIs in Kosovo is high interest rate on loans. Our results show that the age of MFI is the determinant that influences its financial performance. It can also be noted that MFI with better governance are those that are members of financial associations. (original abstract)
- Ahlin, C., Lin, J., & Maio, M. (2011). Where does microfinance flourish? Microfinance institution performance in macroeconomic context. Journal of Development economics, 95(2), 105-120.
- Butcher, W., & Galbraith, J. (2019, January). Microfinance control fraud in Latin America. In Forum for Social Economics (Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 98-120). Routledge.
- Chan, S. H., & Lin, J. J. (2015). Microfinance Products and Service Quality in Financial and Quasi-Financial Institutions in China. Strategic Change, 24(3), 267-284.
- Cull, R., Demirgu¨ ç-Kunt, A., & Morduch, J. (2007). Financial performance and outreach: A global analysis of leading microbanks. The Economic Journal, 117(517), F107-F133.
- Daher, L., & Le Saout, E. (2015). The determinants of the financial performance of microfinance institutions: Impact of the global financial crisis. Strategic Change, 24(2), 131-148.
- Dehem, T., & Hudon, M. (2013). Microfinance from the clients' perspective: An empirical enquiry into transaction costs in urban and rural India. Oxford Development Studies, 41(sup1), S117-S132.
- Katan, L., & Espejo, J. M. R. (2018). Structural modeling of the financial support for the Ukrainian agrarian sector. Investment Management & Financial Innovations, 15(3), 199.
- Janda, K., & Turbat, B. (2013). Determinants of the financial performance of microfinance institutions in Central Asia. Post-Communist Economies, 25(4), 557-568.
- Kar, A. K. (2011). Microfinance institutions: A cross-country empirical investigation of outreach and sustainability. Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 24(3), 427-446.
- Kar, A. K., & Swain, R. B. (2014). Interest rates and financial performance of microfinance institutions: Recent global evidence. The European Journal of Development Research, 26(1), 87-106.
- El Kharti, L. (2014). The determinants of financial performance of microfinance institutions in Morocco: A panel data analysis.
- Meyer, J. (2015). Social versus financial return in microfinance. Available at SSRN 2580343.
- Nasrin, S., Rasiah, R., Baskaran, A., & Masud, M. M. (2018). What determines the financial performance of microfinance institutions in Bangladesh? a panel data analysis. Quality & Quantity, 52(3), 1409-1422.
- Nurmakhanova, M., Kretzschmar, G., & Fedhila, H. (2015). Trade-off between financial sustainability and outreach of microfinance institutions. Eurasian Economic Review, 5(2), 231-250.
- Roberts, P. W. (2013). The profit orientation of microfinance institutions and effective interest rates. World Development, 41, 120-131.
- Tchakoute-Tchuigoua, H. (2010). Is there a difference in performance by the legal status of microfinance institutions?. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 50(4), 436-442.
- Wijesiri, M., Yaron, J., & Meoli, M. (2017). Assessing the financial and outreach efficiency of microfinance institutions: Do age and size matter?. Journal of Multinational Financial Management, 40, 63-76.