Pricing Strategies in the Era of Digitalisation and the Perceived Shift in Consumer Behaviour of Youth in Poland
The advent of industry 4.0 along with the spread of Information and Communication Technology has brought about many pivotal changes in the E-Commerce segment. Technology driven pricing strategies like dynamic pricing has become very common across different industries all over the world. Today, online pricing has evolved into a very efficient and sophisticated pricing strategy where product prices are personalised and tailored to the last conceivable individual buying unit possessing similar characteristics. This study examines various traits exhibited by online consumers in a dynamic pricing environment and figure out the reasons for the display of strategic purchase behaviour by the consumers in response to the dynamic pricing strategy adopted by the sellers. The study was conducted among the Polish millennials as Poland has the median online market size and growth rate among the Central and Eastern European Countries. A PLS based structural equation modelling used in the study reveals that many factors including fair price perception of consumers, social influence, awareness about the pricing strategy and shopping experience influence the motivations for consumers to display a strategic purchase behaviour. (original abstract)
- Adams, J. S. (1965). Inequity in social exchange. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 2(1), 267-299.
- Ajzen, I. (1991). The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211.
- Andreff, W., & Szymanski, S. (Eds.). (2006). Handbook on the Economics of Sport. Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Arvola, A., Vassallo, M., Dean, M., Lampila, P., Saba, A., Lähteenmäki, L., & Shepherd, R. (2008). Predicting intentions to purchase organic food: The role of affective and moral attitudes in the Theory of Planned Behaviour. Appetite, 50(2-3), 443-454.
- Aviv, Y., & Pazgal, A. (2008). Optimal pricing of seasonal products in the presence of forward-looking consumers. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 10(3), 339-359.
- Bandura, A. (1980). Gauging the relationship between self-efficacy judgment and action. Cognitive therapy and research, 4(2), 263-268.
- Besbes, O., & Lobel, I. (2015). Intertemporal price discrimination: Structure and computation of optimal policies. Management Science, 61(1), 92-110.
- Bolton, L. E., Warlop, L., & Alba, J. W. (2003). Consumer perceptions of price (un) fairness. Journal of consumer research, 29(4), 474-491.
- Bonabeau, E. (2004). The perils of the imitation age. Harvard business review, 82(6), 45-54.
- Bredzel-Skowera, K., & Turek, T. (2015). The prospects of E-commerce in Poland. Procedia Computer Science, 65, 1114-1123.
- Brynjolfsson, E., & Smith, M. D. (2000). Frictionless commerce? A comparison of Internet and conventional retailers. Management science, 46(4), 563-585.
- Cachon, G. P., & Feldman, P. (2015). Price commitments with strategic consumers: Why it can be optimal to discount more frequently... than optimal. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 17(3), 399-410.
- Chatzidakis, A., Hibbert, S., & Smith, A. P. (2007). Why people don't take their concerns about fair trade to the supermarket: The role of neutralisation. Journal of business ethics, 74(1), 89-100.
- Chin, W. W. (1998). The partial least squares approach to structural equation modeling. Modern methods for business research, 295(2), 295-336.
- Cross, R. (1997) Revenue Management: Hard-Core Tactics for Market Domination. New York, NY: Broadway Books.
- Dai, B. (2010). The impact of perceived price fairness of dynamic pricing on customer satisfaction and behavioral intentions: The moderating role of customer loyalty (Doctoral dissertation).
- Darke, P. R., & Dahl, D. W. (2003). Fairness and discounts: The subjective value of a bargain. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13 (3), 328-338.
- Deutsch, M., & Gerard, H. B. (1955). A study of normative and informational social influences upon individual judgment. The journal of abnormal and social psychology, 51(3), 629.
- Dinev, T., & Hart, P. (2006). An extended privacy calculus model for e-commerce transactions. Information systems research, 17(1), 61-80.
- Dong, L., Kouvelis, P., & Tian, Z. (2009). Dynamic pricing and inventory control of substitute products. Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 11(2), 317-339.
- European Commission (2018) Consumer market study on online market segmentation through personalised pricing/offers in the European Union. Retrieved March 04, 2019, from https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/aid_development_cooperation_fundamental_rights/aid_and_development_by_topic/documents/synthesis_report_online_personalisation_study_final_0.pdf
- Export. Gov (2018)Poland e-Commerce, Retrieved on 15 march 2019, from https://www.export.gov/article?id=Poland-eCommerce.
- Gönsch, J., Klein, R., & Steinhardt, C. (2009). Dynamic pricing-state-of-the-art. Journal of Business Administration, Supplement , 3 , 1-40.
- Greenstein-Messica, A., & Rokach, L. (2018). Personal price aware multi-seller recommender system: Evidence from eBay. Knowledge-Based Systems, 150(1), 14-26.
- Hair, J, F., Jr., G. T. M. Hult, C. Ringle., & M. Sarstedt. (2016) A Primer on Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM), 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications.
- Han, S., Fu, Y., Cao, B., & Luo, Z. (2018). Pricing and bargaining strategy of e-retail under hybrid operational patterns. Annals of Operations Research, 270(1-2), 179-200.
- Haws, K. L., & Bearden, W. O. (2006). Dynamic pricing and consumer fairness perceptions. Journal of Consumer Research, 33(3), 304-311.
- Hawthorne, J., & Stanley, J. (2008). Knowledge and action. The Journal of Philosophy, 105(10), 571-590.
- Hernández, B., Jiménez, J., & Martín, M. J. (2010). Customer behavior in electronic commerce: The moderating effect of e-purchasing experience. Journal of business research, 63(9-10), 964-971.Ecommerce Report Central and Eastern Europe (2018), Retrieved on 15 March 2019, from https://www.ecommerce-europe.eu/research/ecommerce-europe-reports https://www.statista.com/statistics/567523/predicted-internet-user-penetration-rate-in-poland/.
- Kambil, A., Wilson, H.J, and Agrawal, V. (2002). Are you leaving money on the table?, The Journal of Business Strategy, 23(1), 40-43.
- Keepa (2019) Retrieved, September 16, 2019, from https://keepa.com/