Planned Shape of the CAP 2021-2027 versus Globalisation and Integration Processes
The planned CAP reform will determine the capacity of EU agriculture in facing challenges, especially those related to climate change and growing international competition. The aim of the paper is to assess the EC's reform proposals in the context of globalisation and integration processes. The paper is based on the analysis of the EC's proposals for the CAP 2021-2027. The results show that the proposed changes in the CAP are limited and they do not ensure significant support for the agricultural sector. They also are not adequately precise to evaluate them. Moreover, the proposed change in the CAP implementation model poses a serious risk of the CAP disintegration, which will not help the EU in its trade talks with other partners and thus can be detrimental to the future of the EU agri-food sector. It seems that the first step to make the CAP more effective is to strengthen its monitoring system. (original abstract)
- Begg, I. (2018). Plus ça change... the Commission's budget proposals for 2021-27. ETUI Policy Brief 9. Available 15 February 2019 at: https://www.etui.org/Publications2/Policy-Briefs/European-Economic- Employment-and-Social-Policy/Plus-ca-change-the-Commission-s-budget-proposals-for-2021-27.
- Erjavec, E., Lovec, M., Juvančič, L., Šumrada, T., Rac, I., Jongeneel, R.A., Azcárate, T.G. (2018). Research for AGRI Committee - The CAP beyond 2020: appraisal of the EC legislative proposals
- European Commission (2017). Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. The Future of Food and Farming, COM(2017) 713.
- European Commission (2018a). A Modern Budget for a Union that Protects, Empowers and Defends: The Multiannual Financial Framework for 2021-2027, COM(2018) 321.
- European Commission (2018b). Proposal for a Council regulation laying down the multiannual financial framework for the years 2021 to 2027, COM(2018)322.
- European Commission (2018c). Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Regulations (EU) No 1308/2013 establishing a common organisation of the markets in agricultural products, (EU) No 1151/2012 on quality schemes for agricultural products and foodstuffs, (EU) No 251/2014 on the definition, description, presentation, labelling and the protection of geographical indications of aromatised wine products, (EU) No 228/2013 laying down specific measures for agriculture in the outermost regions of the Union and (EU) No 229/2013 laying down specific measures for agriculture in favour of the smaller Aegean islands, COM(2018)394.
- European Commission (2018d). Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing rules on support for strategic plans to be drawn up by Member States under the Common agricultural policy (CAP Strategic Plans) and financed by the European Agricultural Guarantee Fund (EAGF) and by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and repealing Regulation (EU) No 1305/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council and Regulation (EU) No 1307/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council, COM(2018)392.
- European Commission (2018e). Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the financing, management and monitoring of the common agricultural policy and repealing Regulation (EU) No 1306/2013, COM(2018)393.
- European Court of Auditors (2018). Future of the CAP. European Court of Auditors, Brussels.
- European Court of Auditors (2019). Opinion No 7/2018 (pursuant to Article 322(1)(a) TFEU) concerning Commission proposals for regulations relating to the common agricultural policy for the post-2020 period (COM(2018) 392, 393 and 394 final) Official Journal of the European Union C41.
- European Parliament (2018). Towards the Common Agricultural Policy beyond 2020: comparing the reform package with the current regulations. European Parliament, Brussels.
- Ferrer, J.N., Gros, D. (2018). The Multiannual Financial Framework, where continuity is the radical response. CEPS. Available 15 February 2019 at: https://www.ceps.eu/publications/multiannual-financial-frameworkwhere-continuity-radical-response.
- Löprich, C. (2018). Agriculture in Europe: Greener practices and a brighter future for the sector. European Policy Centre Policy Brief. Available 15 February 2019 at: http://www.epc.eu/documents/uploads/pub_8567_agricultureineurope.pdf?doc_id=1993.
- Matthews, A. (2018). The CAP in the 2021-2027 MFF Negotiations. Intereconomics 6, 306-311. DOI: 10.1007/s10272-018-0773-0
- Mottershead, D., Hart, K., Maréchal, A., Meredith, S., Lorant, A., Bas-Defossez, F. Baldock, D., Bureau, J.-Ch., Matthews, A. (2018). Research for AGRI Committee - Towards the CAP post 2020 - Appraisal of the EC Communication on 'The Future of Food and Farming' of 29 November 2017, European Parliament, Brussles.
- van Deuverden K. (2018). EU Commission proposal for 2021-2027 budget: lost opportunities. DIW Weekly Report 41, 396-402.
- Wieliczko, B. (2017). The impact of global surrounding on the Common Agricultural Policy. Prace Naukowe Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego we Wrocawiu 498, 374-381.