A Comparison of Different Redundancy Based Methods to Solve the Project Scheduling Problem with Probabilistic Activivies Duration
Redundancy based methods are proactive scheduling methods for solving the Project Scheduling Problem (PSP) with non-deterministic activities duration. The fundamental strategy of these methods is to estimate the activities duration by adding extra time to the original duration. The extra time allows to consider the risks that may affect the activities durations and to reduce the number of adjustments to the baseline generated for the project. In this article, four methods based on redundancies were proposed and compared from two robustness indicators. These indicators were calculated after running a simulation process. On the other hand, linear programming was applied as the solution technique to generate the baselines of 480 projects analyzed. Finally, the results obtained allowed to identify the most adequate method to solve the PSP with probabilistic activity duration and generate robust baselines. (original abstract)
- Tysiak W., Monte Carlo simulation and critical chains, in 9th International Conference on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications, IDAACS 2017, 1, 471-474, 2017.
- Sameh E.S., Rana A.H., A new framework for timecost trade-off considering ﬂoat loss impact, J. Financ. Manag. Prop. Constr., 22, 1, 20-36, 2017.
- Chakrabortty R.K., Sarker R.A., Essam D.L., Resource constrained project scheduling with uncertain activity durations, Comput. Ind. Eng., 2017.
- Kolisch R., Sprecher A., PSPLIB - A project scheduling problem library, Eur. J. Oper. Res., 96, 1, 205-216, 1996.
- Malcolm D.G., Roseboom J.H., Clark C.E., Fazar W., Application of a Technique for Research and Development Program Evaluation, Operations Research, 7, 5. 646-669, 1959.
- Pontrandolfo P., Project duration in stochastic networks by the PERT-path technique, Int. J. Proj. Manag., 18, 215-222, 2000.
- Lee D.E., Probability of Project Completion Using Stochastic Project Scheduling Simulation, J. Constr. Eng. Manag., 131, 3, 310-318, 2005.
- Ke H., Liu B., Project scheduling problem with stochastic activity duration times, Appl. Math. Comput., 168, 1, 342-353, 2005.
- Jaskowski P., Biruk S., The method for improving stability of construction project schedules through buffer allocation, Technol. Econ. Dev. Econ., 17, 3, 429-444, 2011.
- Van De Vonder S., Demeulemeester E., Herroelen W., Leus R., The use of buffers in project management: The trade-off between stability and makespan, Int. J. Prod. Econ., 97, 227-240, 2005.
- Rezaie K., Manouchehrabadi B., Shirkouhi S.N., Duration estimation, a new approach in critical chain scheduling, 3rd Asia International Conference on Modelling and Simulation, AMS 2009, pp. 481- 484, 2009.
- Bie L., Cui N., Zhang X., Buffer sizing approach with dependence assumption between activities in critical chain scheduling, POMS 22nd Annual Conference, 2011.
- Mizuyama H., A time quality tradeoff problem of a project with nonstandardized activities, 36th International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering, ICC and IE, pp. 3039-3049. 2006.
- Creemers S., Leus R., Lambrecht M., Scheduling Markovian PERT networks to maximize the net present value, Oper. Res. Lett., 38, 1, 51-56, 2010.
- Biruk S., Jaskowski P., Simulation modelling construction project with repetitive tasks using Petri nets theory, J. Bus. Econ. Manag., 9, no. January 2014, 219-226, 2008.
- Mohammadi M., Sayed M., Mohammad M., Scheduling new product development projects using simulation-based dependency structure matrix, Int. J. logisctics Syst. Manag., 19, 3, 311-328, 2014.
- Brčić M., Kalpic D., Fertalj K., Resource Constrained Project Scheduling under Uncertainty: A Survey, 23rd Central European Conference on Information and Intelligent Systems, pp. 401-409, 2012.
- Goldratt E.M., Critical Chain. The North River Press Publishing Corporation, 1997.
- Yang L., Fu Y., Li S., Huang B., Tao P., A buffer sizing approach in critical chain scheduling with attributes dependent, International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, WiCOM 2008, pp. 1-4, 2008.
- Ash R.C., Pittman P.H., Towards holistic project scheduling using critical chain methodology enhanced with PERT buffering chain methodology enhanced with PERT buffering, Int. J. Organ. Manag., 1, 2, 185-203, 2008.
- Shi Q., Gong T., An improved project buffer sizing approach to critical chain management under resources constraints and fuzzy uncertainty, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence, pp. 486-490, 2009.
- Zhang X., Cui N., Bie L., Chai Y., Timely project completion probability and stability cost on the interaction among uncertainty of random duration, service level and feeding buffer in a RCPSP environment, International Conference on Management and Service Science, pp. 2-5, 2011.
- Liu D., Chen J., Peng W., A new buffer setting method based on activity attributes in construction engineering, Appl. Mech. Mater., 177, 3274-3281, 2012.
- Yu J., Xu Z., Hu C., Buffer Sizing Approach in Critical Chain Project Management under Multiresource Constraints, 6th International Conference on Information Management, Innovation Management and Industrial Engineering, pp. 71-75, 2013.
- Iranmanesh H., Mansourian F., Kouchaki S., Critical chain scheduling: a new approach for feeding buffer sizing, Int. J. Oper. Res., 25, 1, 114-130, 2016.
- Ökmen Ö., Öztas A., Judgmental risk analysis process development in construction projects, in Building and Environment, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1244- 1254, 2005.
- Zafra-Cabeza A., Ridao M.A., Camacho E.F., Using a risk-based approach to project scheduling: A case illustration from semiconductor manufacturing, Eur. J. Oper. Res., 190, 3, 708-723, 2008.
- Mansoorzadeh S., Mohd Yusof S., Reliable project scheduling with combination of risk management and critical chain schedule, IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development, pp. 442-447, 2011.
- Zhang J., Shi R., D´ıaz E., Dynamic monitoring and control of software project effort based on an effort buffer, J. Oper. Res. Soc., 66, 9, 1555-1565, 2015.
- Zhang J., Qiao C., A bi-objective Model for Robust Resource- constrained Project Scheduling Problem with Random Activity Durations, 12th International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control, pp. 28-32, 2015.
- Isaac S., Su Y., Lucko G., Dagan D., Work-Path Modeling and Spatial Scheduling with Singularity Functions, J. Comput. Civ. Eng., 31, 4, 2017.
- Izmailov A., Korneva D., Kozhemiakin A., Effective Project Management with Theory of Constraints, Procedia - Soc. Behav. Sci., 229, 96-103, 2016.
- Izmailov A., Korneva D., Kozhemiakin A. Project Management Using the Buffers of Time and Resources, Procedia - Soc. Behav. Sci., 235, no. October, p. 817, 2016.
- Öztaş A., Ökmen Ö., Uncertainty evaluation with fuzzy schedule risk analysis model in activity networks of construction projects, J. South African Inst. Civ. Eng., 56, 2, 9-20, 2014.
- Paz J.C., Rozenboim D., Cuadros A., Cano S., Escobar J.W., A simulation-based scheduling methodology for construction projects considering the potential impacts of delay risks, Constr. Econ. Build., 18, 2, 41-69, 2018.
- Mahmoudi A., Feylizadeh M.R., A mathematical model for crashing projects by considering time, cost, quality and risk, J. Proj. Manag., 2, 27-36, 2017.
- Mohammadipour F., Sadjadi S.J., Project costquality-risk tradeoff analysis in a time-constrained problem, Comput. Ind. Eng., 95, 111-121, 2016.
- Herroelen W., Leus R., The construction of stable project baseline schedules, Eur. J. Oper. Res., 156, 3, 550-565, 2004.