Production and Marketing Constraints of Small Stock Farming: Evidence from Limid and Non-Limid Farmers in Boteti Sub-District, Botswana
The majority of the rural population in Botswana keep small stock as a source of livelihood. However, small stock farmers face many constraints which impede maximization of their production and returns. Yet there is dearth of information on the major challenges they face. This study was intended to give an overview of major production and marketing constraints faced by small stock farmers; and to identify factors influencing farmers' participation in the LIMID program in Boteti sub-district, Botswana. Multistage sampling technique was used to collect data from 150 respondents selected randomly. Descriptive statistics, factor analysis and probit regression analytical techniques were used in data analysis. Factors that significantly influenced effective participation of small stock producers in the program are positive perception of the program, distance to a LIMID office, distance to a nearby cattle post, and household income. Production constraints included predators, theft, pasture scarcity, natural disasters, water scarcity and lack of transport. Further, marketing constraints were reported to be low prices, delayed payments from the government, poor roads and lack of marketing information. The study provides a basis for policy formulation to improve the effectiveness of smallholder farmers and develop measures required to help them improve their productivity. (original abstract)
- Aganga, A. O., Aganga, A. A. (2015). Quality Assurance in Goat Meat Production for Food Safety in Botswana. Asian J. Biol. Sci., 8(2), 51-56.
- Ahmed, A., Egwu, G. O. (2014). Management Practices and Constraints of Sheep Farmers in Sokoto State, Nigeria. Int. J. Sci. Technol., 3(2), 735-748.
- Akpan, S. B., Udoh, E. (2016). Farmers' Decision to Participate In Government Agricultural Programmes in a Volatile Political Environment: A Case Study of Farmers in The South-South Region Of Nigeria. J. Agric. Soc.-Econ. Sci., 5(43), 135-147.
- Assa, M. M., Maonga, B. B., Mapemba, L. D. (2014). Determinants of Keeping Small Ruminants and Non-ruminant Livestock in Malawi: A Simulated Maximum Likelihood Multivariate Probit. Agrekon, 53(4), 123-135.
- Bahta, S., Baker, D., Podisi, B., Marobela, O. (2013). Competitive smallholder livestock in Botswana: Results of a livestock value chain survey in the Central district of Botswana. Nairobi: International Livestock Research Institute.
- Berihu, M., Berhane, G., Gebrechiristos, S. (2016). Feeding and Management Practices of Free Range Goat Production in Tahtay Koraro District Ethiopia. College of Veterinary Medicine and Agriculture. Am. J. Soc. Manag. Sci., 6(2), 40-47.
- Boohene, R., Marfo-Yiadom, E., Yeboah, M. A. (2012). An empirical Analysis of the Effect of Entrepreneurial Orientationon Firm Performance of Auto Artisans in the Cape Coast Metropolis. Dev. Count. Stud., 2(9), 1-8.
- Charatsari, C., Istenič, C. M., Lioutas, E. D. (2013). "I'd like to participate, but...": Women farmers' skepticism towards agricultural extension/education programs. Dev. Pract., 23(1), 511-525.
- Cochran, W. G. (1963). Sampling Techniques (2nd ed.). New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Druilhe, Z., Barreiro-Hurlé, J. (2012). Fertilizer subsidies in sub-Saharan Africa. ESA Working paper No. 12, 04 July 2012. Agricultural Development Economics Division Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Hangara, G. N., Teweldemedhin, M. Y., Groenewald, I. B. (2011). Measuring factors that can influence cattle supply response to the market in Namibia: A Case of Omaheke communal farmers. J. Agric. Exten. Rural Dev., 3(8), 141-146.
- Ibrahim, A., Shiwei, X., Wen, Y. (2013). The Impact of Social Factors of Rural Households on Livestock Production and Rural Household Income in White Nile State of Sudan. Int. J. Agric. Food Res., 2(4), 1-13.
- Kelebe, H. E., Ayimut, K. M., Berhe, G. H., Hintsa, K. (2017). Determinants for adoption decision of small scale biogas technology by rural households in Tigray, Ethiopia. Energy Econ., 66, 272-278.
- Morgan, K. L., Briggs, A. C., Degner, R. L., Stevens III, T.J (2004). A Probit Model Analysis of Factors Affecting Consumption of Fresh Sweet Corn in Major U.S. Markets. Southern Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meetings February 18, 2004, Oklahoma, USA.
- Kweyu, M., Ngare, P. (2013). Factor Analysis of Customers Perception of Mobile Banking Services in Kenya. JETEMS, 5(1), 1-8.
- Moepeng, P. T., Tisdell, C. A. (2008). The Pattern of Livelihoods in a Typical Rural Village Provides New Perspectives on Botswana's Development: Social Economics, Policy and Development Working Papers 52. University of Queensland.
- Moreki, J. C., Mokokwe, J., Keboneilwe, D., Koloka, O. (2010). Evaluation of the livestock management and infrastructure development support scheme in seven districts of Botswana. Retrieved from: http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd22/5/more22087.htm
- Mosalagae, D., Mogotsi, K. (2013). Caught in a sandstorm: an assessment of pressures on communal pastoral livelihoods in the Kalahari Desert of Botswana. Pastor. Res. Policy Pract., 3(18), 1-20.
- Nahayo, A., Omondi, M. O., Xu-hui, Z., Lian-qing, L., Genxing, P., Joseph, S. (2017). Factors influencing farmers' participation in crop intensification program in Rwanda. J. Integ. Agric., 16(6), 1406-1416.
- Phiri, M. A. R., Chilonda, P., Manyamba, C. (2012). Challenges and Opportunities for Raising Agricultural Productivity in Malawi. Int. J. Agric. Forest., 2(5), 210-224.
- Sebego, R. J., Atlhopheng, J. R., Chanda, R., Mulale, K., Mphinyane, W. (2017). Land use intensification and implications on land degradation in the Boteti area: Botswana. Afric. Geogr. Rev. Retrieved from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19376812.2017.1284599
- Shapi, M. K. (2017). Contemporary Challenges Facing the Small Farmers in the Green Scheme Projects in Namibia. Sustain. Agric. Res., 6(3), 1-13.
- Temoso, O., Hadley, D., Villano, R. (2015). Technical efficiency and technological gaps for extensive beef farms in Botswana : A stochastic meta-frontier approach. Coference paper for annual AARES.Rotoa, New Zealand 10-13 February 2015.
- UNESCO (2012). Report on Livestock Value Chains in Eastern and Southern Africa . Eighth Session of the Committee on Food Security and Sustainable Development 19-21 November. Addis Ababa, Ethopia.
- USDA (2017). Agricultural Information Network: Botswana. Agricultural Economic Fact Sheet Report. 20 August.
- Verbeke, W., Ward, R., W.,Viaene, J. (2000). Probit analysis of fresh meat consumptionin Belgium: Exploring BSE and television communication impact. Agribusiness, 16(2), 215-234.
- Yong, A. J., Pearce, S. (2013). A Beginner's Guide to Factor Analysis: Focusing on Exploratory Factor Analysis. Tutor. Quant. Method. Psych., 9(2), 79-94.