Entrepreneurial Leadership in SMEs: Perceptions of Owner - Managers vs. Employees
The objective of this research is to investigate the perception of owner - managers and their employees regarding entrepreneurial leadership. To develop the research, two questions are raised related to the similarities or differences of the perceptions of both groups with what is established in the literature and between the self - evaluation of the owner - managers and their employees on whether the former perform as an entrepreneurial leader. As a research method, both groups are asked to perform, first individual evaluations and then to match certain behaviours and the levels at which they should appear at certain levels of entrepreneurial leadership capacity. The data gathered during the investigation were processed using the Categorical Principal Components Analysis and revealed the similarities and differences between the perceptions of the owner-managers and their employees on entrepreneurial leadership. In spite of not finding significant differences between what is established in the literature and among the perceptions of the groups under study, interesting nuances stand out that, if not identified and understood, could have a negative effect on the performance of SMEs. The results of the research demonstrated the importance of the approach of behaviour and perception in the study of entrepreneurial leadership. (original abstract)
- Sklaveniti C., Processes of entrepreneurial leadership: Co-acting creativity and direction in the emergence of new SME ventures, Int. Small Bus. J., 35, 2, 197-213, 2017.
- Bagheri A., The impact of entrepreneurial leadership on innovation work behavior and opportunity recognition in high-technology SMEs, The J. High Tech. Manag. Res., 28, 2, 159-166, 2017.
- Ng H.S., Kee D.M.H., Ramayah T., The role of transformational leadership, entrepreneurial competence and technical competence on enterprise success of owner-managed SMEs, J. Gen. Manag., 42, 1, 23-43, 2016.
- Bagheri A., Pihie Z.A.L., Entrepreneurial Leadership Learning: In Search of Missing Links, Procedia - Soc. Behav. Sci., 7, C, 470-479, 2010.
- Gupta V., MacMillan I.C., Surie G., Entrepreneurial leadership: developing and measuring a crosscultural construct, J. Bus. Venturing, 19, 2, 241-260, 2004.
- Leitch C.M., Volery T., Entrepreneurial leadership: Insights and directions, Int. Small Bus. J., 35, 2, 147-156, 2017.
- Uhl-Bien M., Arena M., Complexity leadership: Enabling people and organizations for adaptability, Org. Dyn., 46, 1, 9-20, 2017.
- Renko M., Tarabishy A.E., Carsrud A.L., Understanding and Measuring Entrepreneurial Leadership Style, J. Small Bus. Manag., 53, 1, 54-74, 2015.
- Więcek-Janka E., Majchrzak J., Wyrwicka M., Weber G.W. Application of Grey Clusters in the Development of a Synthetic Model of the Goals of Polish Family Enterprises\' Successors, GSUA 2019, Proceedings of the International Congress of GSUA, 2019 Aug 8-11, Bangkok, Thailand, 2019.
- Koryak O., Mole K.F., Lockett A., Entrepreneurial leadership, capabilities and firm growth, Int. Small Bus. J., 33, 1, 89-105, 2015.
- Buekens W., Fostering Intrapreneurship: The Challenge for a New Game Leadership, Procedia Eco. Financ, 16, C, 580-586, 2014.
- Maldonado F., PYMEs en el Ecuador: No paran de evolucionar (SMEs in Ecuador: They do not stop evolving), Rev. Ekos, pp. 100-112, 2017.
- Lee A., Martin R., Thomas G., Conceptualizing leadership perceptions as attitudes: Using attitude theory to further understand the leadership process, Leadersh Q., 26, 6, 910-934, 2015.
- Strobl A., Bauer F., Matzler K., The impact of industry-wide and target market environmental hostility on entrepreneurial leadership in mergers and acquisitions, J. World Bus., no. 100931, 2018.
- Matejun M., The Process of Opportunities Exploration and Exploitation in the Development of SMES\' Innovativeness, Manag. Prod. Engin. Rev., 9, 3, 3-15, 2018.
- Karmarkar Y., Chabra M., Deshpande A., Entrepreneurial leadership style(s): a taxonomic review, Annual Research J. Symbiosis Centre Manag. Stud., 2, 1, 156-189, 2014.
- Balasubramanian S., A Systematic Literature Review of the Conceptualizations of Entrepreneurial Leadership, Eastern Acad. Manag. New Haven, CT, pp. 1-26, 2016.
- Middlebrooks A., Introduction - Entrepreneurial Leadership Across Contexts, Journal of Leadership Studies, 8, 4, 27-29, 2015.
- Hunter L., Lean J., Investigating the role of entrepreneurial leadership and social capital in SME competitiveness in the food and drink industry, Int. J. Entrep. Innov., 15, 3, 179-190, 2014.
- Chan K-Y., Uy M.A., Chernyshenko O.S., Personality and entrepreneurial, professional and leadership motivations, Person. Indiv. Differ., 77, C, 161-166, 2015.
- Moser K.J., Tumasjan A., Welpe I.M., Small but attractive: Dimensions of new venture employer attractiveness and the moderating role of applicants\' entrepreneurial behaviors, J. Bus. Ventur., 32, 5, 588-610, 2017.
- Hannu Vanharanta, Kantola J., Markopoulos E., Salo M., Einolander J., Hanhisalo T., The Degree of Agility in a Technology Company\'s Strategy, Management, and Leadership, Management and Production Engineering Review, 9, 4, 129-137, 2018.
- Dean H., Ford J., Discourses of entrepreneurial leadership: Exposing myths and exploring new approaches, Int. Small Bus. J., 35, 2, 178-196, 2017.
- Duening T.N., Hisrich R.D., Lechter M.A., Chapter 12 - Venture Management and Leadership, Technology Entrepreneurship, 2th ed., Boston: Academic Press, pp. 289-308, 2015.
- Kozłowski R., Entrepreneurial leadership and its inﬂuence as an innovation catalyst in modern management, Int. J. Contem. Manag., 9, 4, 55-62, 2010.
- Pihie Z.A.L., Asimiran S., Entrepreneurial leadership practices and school innovativeness, South African J. Edu., 34, 1, 1-11, 2014.
- Yousafzai S.Y., Saeed S., Muffatto M., Institutional theory and contextual embeddedness of women\'s entrepreneurial leadership: Evidence from 92 countries, J. Small Bus. Manag., 53, 3, 587-604, 2015.
- Galloway L., Kapasi I., Sang K., Entrepreneurship, leadership, and the value of feminist approaches to understanding them, J. Small Bus. Manag., 53, 3, 683-692, 2015.
- Surie G., Ashley A., Integrating Pragmatism and Ethics in Entrepreneurial Leadership for Sustainable Value Creation, J. Bus. Ethics, 81, 1, 235-246, 2008.
- McCarthy D.J., Puffer S.M., Darda S.V., Convergence in Entrepreneurial Leadership Style: Evidence from Russia, Cal. Manag. Rev., 52, 4, 48-72, 2010.
- Leitch C.M., McMullan C., Harrison R.T., The development of entrepreneurial leadership: The role of human, social and institutional capital, Br. J. Manag., 24, 3, 347-366, 2013.
- Freeman D., Siegfried R.L., Entrepreneurial Leadership in the Context of Company Start-Up and Growth, J. Leadersh. Stud., 8, 4, 35-39, 2015.
- Chen J.X., Sharma P., Zhan W., Liu L., Demystifying the impact of CEO transformational leadership on firm performance: Interactive roles of exploratory innovation and environmental uncertainty, J. Bus. Res., 96, 85-96, 2019.
- Newman A., Tse H.H.M., Schwarz G., Nielsen I., The effects of employees\' creative self-eﬃcacy on innovative behavior: The role of entrepreneurial leadership, J. Bus. Res., 89, 1-9, 2018.
- Siu W-S., Yuan and marketing: The perception of Chinese owner-managers, J. World Bus, 43, 4, 449- 462, 2008.
- Morgado L., Varajăo J., Caroline Dominguez I.O., Balancing european SME managers\' training contents: Perceived importance and training needs, Int. J. Soc. Advan. Innov. Res. Econ., 5, 2, 4-22, 2014.
- Robbins S.P., Judge T.A., Organizational Behavior, Boston: Pearson Education, Inc., 2013.
- Yancey G.B., Watanabe N., Differences in perceptions of leadership between U.S. and Japanese workers, Soc. Sci. J., 46, 2, 268-281, 2009.
- Georgiadis A., Pitelis C.N., The impact of employees\' and managers\' training on the performance of small-andmedium-sized enterprises: Evidence from a randomized natural experiment in the UK service sector, Br. J. Ind. Relat., 54, 2, 409-421, 2016.
- Jones P., Beynon M.J, Pickernell D., Evaluating the impact of different training methods on SME business performance, Environ. Plann. C Gov. Policy., 31, 1, 56-81, 2013.
- Clifton N., Huggins R., Morgan B., An appropriate tool for entrepreneurial learning in SMEs? The case of the Twenty Leadership Programme, Local Econ., 30, 5, 534-556, 2015.
- Claveria O., Poluzzi A., Positioning and clustering of the world\'s top tourist destinations by means of dimensionality reduction techniques for categorical data, J. Destin. Mark. Manag., 6, 1, 22-32, 2017.
- Freeman D., Entrepreneurial leadership across contexts: Unique challenges and skills, J. Leadersh. Stud., 8, 3, 40-41, 2014.
- Knop K., Borkowski S., The Estimation of Alternative Control Eﬃciency with the Use of the Cohen\'s Kappa Coeﬃcient, Manag. Prod. Engin. Rev., 2, 3, 19-27, 2011.
- Fernandes S., Belo A., Castela G., Social network enterprise behaviors and patterns in SMEs: Lessons from a Portuguese local community centered around the tourism industry, Technol. Soc., 44, C, 15-22, 2016.
- Pallis A.A., Arapi K.P., Papachristou A.A., Models of cruise ports governance, Maritime Policy Manag., 46, 5, 630-651, 2019.
- Oksana L., Vita Z., Jelena T., Disclosure of intellectual capital in financial reports: case of Latvia, Oeconomia Copernicana, 10, 2, 2019.
- Merola G.M., Baulch B., Using sparse categorical principal components to estimate asset indices: new methods with an application to rural Southeast Asia, Rev. Develop. Econ., 23, 2, 640-662, 2019.
- Rajesh S., Jain S., Sharma P., Inherent vulnerability assessment of rural households based on socioeconomic indicators using categorical principal component analysis: A case study of Kimsar region, Uttarakhand, in Ecol. Indicators, 85, 93-104, 2018.
- Lasio V., Ordenãna X., Caicedo G., Samaniego A., Izquierdo E., Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) Ecuador 2017, Quito: ESPAE - ESPOL, 2018.