Analysis of Profitability of Smallholder Irrigated Food Plots in The Eastern Cape Province of South Africa
Smallholder irrigation farming is transformative to poor households as they improve livelihoods and alleviate poverty but little has been done to quantify their profitability. The present study assessed the profitability of smallholder irrigated crop farmers in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa and ascertained their determinants. A multi-stratified technique was employed to select 120 smallholder irrigated crop farmers. Data were analysed using gross margin and multiple regression models. Results showed that crop production is profitable. Farm experience, years spent in school, access to credit, distance to markets, and tractor use were found to have a bearing on the profitability of the irrigated crop farmers. Based on the results, crop farming is identified as crucial for jobs and poverty reduction. (original abstract)
- Abdulai, A., Huffiman, W. (2000). Structural adjustment and economic efficiency of Rice Farmers in Northern Ghana. Eco. Dev. Cul. Cha., 48, 503-520.
- Adesina, A., Djato, K. K. (1997). Relative efficiency of women as farm managers: Profit function analysis in Cote d'Ivoire. Agric. Econ., 16, 47-53.
- Balana, B., Mul, M., Williams, T. O., Ghansa, B., Gyamfuah-Owusu, A., Amarnath, G. (2015). Analysis of Historical Flood Inundation and Recession Patterns: Implications for Flood Recession Agriculture in Northern Ghana. Unpublished project progress report.
- Baiyegunhi, L. J. S., Fraser, G. C. G. (2009). Profitability in Sorghum Production in Three Villages of Kaduna State Nigeria. J. Appl. Sci. Res., 10, 1685-1691.
- Berger, A. N., Mester, L. J. (1997). Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions? Financial Institutions Center. Retrieved from: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.41.573&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Coelli, T. J. (1995). Estimators and hypothesis tests for a stochastic frontier function: A Monte Carlo analysis. J. Prod. Anal., 6, 247-268.
- Chidi, I., Anozie, R. O., Priscilia, N. C. (2015). Analysis of socio-economic factors and profitability of rice production among small-scale farmers in Ebonyi State. J. Agric. Vet. Sci., 8(2), 20-27.
- Christian, M. (2015). Assessing the impact of primary agricultural co-operative members on smallholder farm performance (crops) in Mquma Local Municipality in the Eastern Cape province. Published MSc Dissertation, University of Fort Hare, Alice, South Africa.
- Cousins, B. (2013). Smallholder Irrigation Schemes, Agrarian Reform and 'Accumulation from Above and from Below' in South Africa. J. Agrar. Change, 13(1), 116-139.
- ECDRAR (Eastern Cape Department of Rural Development and Agrarian Reform). (2012). Annual Operation Plan 2012-2013. Bisho, Eastern Cape Provincial Government.
- EDEAT (Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism). (2000-2010). The Eastern Cape, Adventure province essence of Province's heart. Retrieved Nov 23rd 2018 from: http://www.dedea.gov.za/Lists/About the Eastern Cape/AllItems.aspx