Poland's Food Security in 2007-2016
The paper covers the issues of one of the basic psychological needs namely food. The aim of this paper is to assess the level of food security in Poland. Dynamic approach covering 2007-2016 was used. The most important terms which are relevant to food security were defined. In analysis 4 major conditions of food security were examined: (i) physical availability of food; (ii) stability and reliability of food supplies; (iii) economic availability of food; (iv) health suitability of a single product. Research covered also the level of food self-sufficiency of selected products which is another important factor regarding food security. The research was based on statistical materials from the Central Statistical Office and academic publications. The results showed that Poland was self-sufficient in all basic food products. The study confirmed that four conditions of food security were met simultaneously. Only slight problems occurred in health suitability of a single product namely too much of energy in polish households' diet is coming from fat. (original abstract)
- Baer-Nawrocka, A. (2014). Zmiany z spożyciu i stopniu samowystarczalności żywnościowej w Unii Europejskiej [Changes in the consumption of agri-food products and foods self-sufficiency in the European Union]. Prace Nauk. Uniw. Ekon. Wroc., 360, 19-27 [in Polish].
- Chmielewska, B. (2015). Nierówności społeczne w aspekcie zróżnicowania wydatków gospodarstw domowych w krajach Unii Europejskiej [Social Inequalities in Terms of Diversity of Household Expenditure in the EU Countries]. Nierówn. Społ. Wzrost Gosp., 41(1), 319-328 [in Polish].
- EIU (2014). User guide for the Global Food Security Index. New York: Th Economist Intelligence Unit. Retrieved Nov 11th 2018 from: https://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/Resources
- EUROSTAT (2019). Inability to afford a meal with meat, chicken, fish (or vegetarian equivalent) every second day - EU-SILC survey. Retrieved from: http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=ilc_mdes03&lang=en
- FAO (2003). Food security: concepts and measurement. In: Trade reforms and food security. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Retrieved Feb 18th 2019 from: http://www.fao.org/3/y4671e/y4671e06.htm