Study on Resource Allocations for Sustainable Competitive Advantage
Today's concern and problem for most of the companies is the way of surviving and prospering in current and future periods of time in the marketplace. Sustainable competitive ability can be one of the ways of adaptation to the global business and rapid environment requirements. Operational competitiveness is not easy to be sustainably improved because of unpredictable environment situations, such as continuous increasing customer needs, global competitive environment, rapid and unpredictable changes in government policy, company crisis during significant changes etc. However, it is possible to make adaptive adjustments on operations strategy level in dynamic business environment and to become competitive enough compared to the competitors. The purpose of this paper is to define and assess sustainable competitive advantage and the direction of development in housing business. It can be analysed by two core factors, i.e. Sense and Respond (S&R) methodology, Analytical Hierarchical Process (AHP) as well as Sustainable competitive advantage (SCA) method. This study also focuses on applying S&R method in order to optimize operational competitiveness as well as defining the competitive priorities of the case company. The analysis results show the critical areas in different departments of the case company, which can help the managers to make quick decisions. In addition, they reveal that during the crisis the resource allocation is continuously changing and therefore the operation strategy of the case company is not well defined as well as competitive advantages are not enough sustainable. (original abstract)
- Krugman P., Competitiveness: a dangerous obsession, Foreign affairs, 73, 2, 28-34, 1994.
- Haeckel S.H., From "make and sell" to "sense and respond", Management Review, 81, 10, 3-9, 1992.
- Bradley S.P., Nolan R.L., Sense and Respond: Capturing Value in the Network Era, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1998.
- Markides C., All the Right Moves: A Guide to Crafting Breakthrough Strategy, Harvard Business Press, USA, 2000.
- Rautiainen M., Takala J., Measuring customer satisfaction and increasing it by choosing the right development subjects, paper presented at the 2nd International Conference on Logistics & Transport, LOADO'2003, High Tatras, Slovak Republic, 2003, unpublished.
- Takala J., Kamdee T., Hirvela J., Kyllonen S., Analytic calculation of global operative competitiveness, in Proc, IAMOT 1569041789, IAMOT, the 16th International Conference on Management of Technology; Management of Technology for Service Economy, International Association for Management of Technology, Orlando, Florida, USA, 2007, unpublished.
- Miles R., Snow C., Organizational strategy, structure, and process, Academy of Management Review, 3, 3, 546-563, 1978.
- Flouris T.G.,Oswald S.L., Designing and Executing Strategy in Aviation Management, Ashgate Publishing Limited, England, 2006.
- Daft R.L., Organization theory and design, SouthWestern Cengage Learning, Mason, OH, USA, 2008.
- Slack N., Chambers, S., Johnston R., Operations Management, 4th ed., Pearson Education, Harlow, 2004.
- Chase R.B., Jacobs F.R., Aquilano N.J., Operations Management for Competitive Advantage With Global Cases, 11th ed., McGraw-Hill/Irwin, NewYork, NY, 2007.
- Ranta J.M., Takala J., A holistic method for finding out critical feature of industry maintenance services, International Journal of Services and Standards, 3, 3, 312-325, 2007.
- Kaplan R.S., Norton D.P., The balanced scorecard: measures that drive performance (cover story), Harvard Business Review, 83, 7/8, 172-180, 2005.
- Saaty T.L., The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Planning, Priority Setting, Resource Allocation, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1980.
- Rangone A., An analytical hierarchy process framework for comparing the overall performance of manufacturing departments, International Journal of Operations & Production management, 16, 8, 104- 119, 1996.
- Skinner W., Manufacturing - the missing link in corporate strategy, Harvard Business Review May/Jun, 47, 3, 136-145, 1969.
- Peteraf M.A., Barney J.B., Unraveling the resourcebased triangle, Managerial and Decision Economics, 24, 4, 309-323, 2003.
- Baumol W.J., Panzar J.C., Willig R.P., Contestable Markets and the Theory of Industry Structure, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, New York, NY, 1982.