Potential Consequences of Immigration to the European Union and the Possibility of Limiting the Scale of this Phenomenon
The aim of this study is to assess the scale and effects of influx of people from Africa and the Middle East to European Union countries and to present the objectives of the "Marshall Plan with Africa", which aims to support African economic activation and intensify the economic links within this region. The assessment also addresses the risk of escalation of migration to Europe and European Union initiatives aimed at containing the African population within their countries. The author focuses on the activities presented in the first pillar of the "Marshall Plan" which provide for improving the investment climate in African countries, including the ease of doing business, developing trade and establishing a free trade area, and ratifying the Trade Facilitation Agreement (FTA). The paper is based on the primary literature on the subject under study and the sources of data include Eurostat, UN, WTO and Africa Infrastructure Knowledge Program. (original abstract)
- Centrum Prasowe PAP, (03.09.2018), Przywódca Chiny zapowiada 60 mld dolarów pomocy I kredytów dla krajów Afryki, http://centrumprasowe.pap.pl/cp/pl/news/info/126500,37, przywodca-chiny-zapowiada-60-mld-dolarow-pomocy-i-kredytow-dla-krajow-afryki (04.10.2018).
- European Investment Bank (2018) Economic Resilience Initiative, Southern Neighbourhood and the Western Balkans, 06.2018.
- European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation (2018), European Union Terrorism Situation and Trend Report 2018.
- Eurostat (2018), Final decisions on applications by citizenship, age and sex Annual data (rounded), http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/submitViewTableAction.do (05.10.2018).
- Eurostat, (2018) Asylum and first time asylum applicants by citizenship, age and sex Annual aggregated data, http://appsso.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/nui/show.do?dataset=migr_asyappctza&lang=en (18.12.2018).
- Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (2017), Africa and Europa: A new partnership for development, peace and a better future. Cornerstones of a Marshall Plan with Africa, January 2017.
- Institute for Economics and Peace (2017) Global Terrorism Index 2017, November 2017.
- MSWiA, Polityka azylowa i migracyjna, https://mswia.gov.pl/pl/wspolpracamiedzynarod/wspolpraca-w-ramach-ue/13061,Polityka-azylowa-i-migracyjna.html (29.11.2018).
- Lelieveld J., Proestos Y., Handjinicolaou P., Tanarhte M., Tyrlis E., Zittis G. (2017), Strongly increasing heat extremes in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) in the 21st century, Climatic Change, Volume 137, July 2016.
- Kancs D'A, Lecca P. (2017), Long-term Social, Economic and Fiscal Effects of Imigration into the EU: The Role of the Integration Policy, European Commision, JRC Technical Reports, 2017/4.
- Russo S., Marchese A.F., Sillmann J, Imme G. (2016), When will unusual heat waves become normal in Africa?, Enviromental Research Letters, Volume 11, May 2016.
- United Nations (2018), World Urbanization Prospects: The 2018 Revisions, Key Facts, 2018.
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2018), World Urbanization Prospects: The 2018 Revision, Online Edition.