Simulation for Jewelry Production Process Improvement Using Line Balancing: A Case Study
Thai jewelry is the world's leading jewelry which has gained high reputation and recognition from customers worldwide. In the past decade, jewelry have become one of the top ten export product of Thailand with the current export value of around 58,000 million baht per year which is 3.4 percent of all Thailand export products. Due to the high competition in the world market, however, Thai jewelry manufacturers needs to continue to improve their product quality as well as process efficiency in order to gain more market share. Currently, computer-aided tools have become more powerful tool in jewelry production management. They have been used to design production process, plant and workstation layout, production planning, worker's scheduling, and other decisive decision making in both high management and shop floor levels. This research demonstrates a case study of plant simulation application for jewelry production process improvement. The objective is to reduce bottlenecks and increase productivity in wax pattern and casting processes using line balancing. Various scenarios have been proposed in order to support different level of desired output rate due to the increase of demand. The results of line balancing and simulation models reduce bottlenecks. Hence, productivity is increased. The desired throughput rates are achieved with the minimum number of workers and machine in the system. (original abstract)
- M.E. Salveson. "The Assembly Line Balancing Problem." The Journal of Industrial Engineering, vol.6, pp. 18-25, 1995.
- A.L. Gutjahr and G.L. Nemhauser. "An Algorithm for the Line Balancing Problem." Management Science. vol. 11, pp. 308-315, 1964.
- T.R. Hoffmann. "Assembly Line Balancing with a Precedence Matrix," Management Science, vol. 9, pp. 551-562, 1963.
- A.L. Arcus. "COMSOAL: A Computer Method of Sequencing Operations for Assembly Lines, "International Journal of Production Research, vol. 4, pp. 259-277, 1965.
- A. Raouf and E.A. El-Sayed. "A New Heuristic Approach to Assembly Line Balancing, "Computer & Industrial Engineering, vol. 4, pp. 223-234, 1980.
- I. Baybars. "An Efficient Heuristic Method for the Simple Assembly Line Balancing Problem, "International Journal of Production Research, vol. 24, pp. 149-166, 1984.
- M. Jim and S.D. Wu. "A New Heuristic Method for Mixed Model Assembly Line Balancing Problem, "Computer & Industrial Engineering, vol. 44, pp. 159-169, 2003.
- F.B. Talbol and J.H. Patterson. "An Integer Programming Algorithm with Network Cuts for Solving the Assembly Line Balancing Problem, "Management Science, vol. 30, pp. 85-99, 1984.
- A. Scholl and C. Becker, C. "State-of-the-art Exact and Heuristic Solution Procedures for Simple Assembly Line Balancing, "European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 168, pp. 666-693, 2006.
- P. Chutima and P. Olanviwatchai."Mixed-Model U-Shaped Assembly Line Balancing Problems with Coincidence Memetic Algorithm, "Journal of Software Engineering and Applications, vol. 3, pp. 347-363, 2010.
- S. Avikal and H.C. Yadav. "A Heuristic Approach for U-Shaped Assembly Line Balancing to Improve Labor Productivity, "Computer & Industrial Engineering, vol. 64, pp. 895-902, 2013.
- P. Sivasankaran and P.M. Shahabudeen. "Design and Comparison of Genetic Algorithms for Mixed-Model Assembly Line Balancing Problem with Original Task Times of Models, "American Journal of Industrial and Business Management, vol. 6, pp. 674-696, 2016.
- H. Zupan and N. Herakovic. (2015). "Production Line Balancing with Discrete Even Simulation: A Case Study, "IFACPaper Online, 45(3), pp. 2305-2311. Available: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2405896315006709.
- A. Maria. "Introduction to modeling and simulation, "Proceedings of the 1997 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC '97), 1997, pp. 7-13.
- B. Kadar, A. Pfeiffer, and L. Monostori. "Discrete Event Simulation for Supporting Production Planning and Scheduling Decisions in Digital Factories, "Proceedings of the 37th CIRP International Seminar on Manufacturing Systems, 2004, pp. 441-448.
- I. Stankovic, Z. Car, and B. Barisic. "Comparative Simulation of the Heavy Machine Production System, "Engineering Review, vol. 31, pp. 11-23, 2011.
- Y. L. Ho. "Staged improvement of delivery-oriented production, "International Journal of Simulation Modelling, vol. 14, pp. 17-27, 2011.
- Y. W. Ng, J.C.R. Jie, and S. Kamaruddin. "Analysis of Shop Floor Performance through Discrete Event Simulation: A Case Study, "Journal of Industrial Engineering, vol. 2014, pp. 10-18, 2014.
- M. Pröpstera, L. Märzb, G. Reinharta, and C. Intra. "Validation of Line Balancing by Simulation of Workforce Flexibility," 9th CIRP Conference on Intelligent Computation in Manufacturing Engineering, Procedia CIRP 33,2015, pp. 93-98.
- G. Sargent. "Verification and Validation of Simulation Models, "Winter Simulation Conference, USA, 2009, pp. 108-116.
- H. Güçdemir, and H. Selim. "Customer Centric Production Planning and Control in Job Shops: A Simulation Optimization Approach, "Journal of Manufacturing Systems, vol.43, pp. 100-116, 2017.
- S. Lang, T. Reggelin, and T. Wunder. "Mesoscopic Simulation Models for Logistics Planning Tasks in the Automotive Industry, "Procedia Engineering, vol.178, pp. 298-307, 2017.