Transformational Leadership and Emotional Intelligence of Graduate Managers
Leadership of graduate managers has become a focal point of many employers worldwide. Leadership development is in high demand and leadership initiatives are an effective tool for career development in the corporate environment. The objectives of the study were to assess the Transformational Leadership (TL) and Emotional Intelligence (EI) level of graduate managers, and to analyse the relationship between their EI and TL performances at work. The role of gender in leadership was examined. Sixty three graduate managers (33 men, and 30 women) who are following the masters' degree programme were randomly selected from a Sri Lankan university. The Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire of Bass and Avolio, was used to assess the leadership style performances of the respondents. Genos EI Inventory was used to measure their EI level. Descriptive and inferential analyses of data were conducted using SPSS software. Respondents recorded higher scores for TL performances at work. Respondents' EI levels and TL styles re?ected a difference with regard to their gender. Respondents have scored slightly lower scores for the EI sub-constructs in comparison to the normative figures of Genos EI. The higher fluctuation of Mean values of respondents indicated the volatility of the reasoning ability of respondents. The fact that graduate managers depicted higher scores for progressive leadership styles and lower scores for passive leadership styles augurs well for their career development. Emotional Intelligence of men significantly related with their Transformational leadership style. Study concludes that high Transformational leadership of Sri Lankan graduates managers and manageresses, and the relationship of Transformational Leadership with managers EI as well, could enhance management and production performances in corporate environments.(original abstract)
- Fiedler F.E., A Theory of Leadership Effectiveness McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 13-144, 1967.
- Burns J.M., Leadership, Harper & Row, New York, pp. 1-6, 1978.
- Luthans F., Organizational behavior: An Evidence-Based Approach, Twelfth edition, McGraw Hill Companies, Singapore, pp. 420-435, 2011.
- Avolio B.J., Leadership Development in Balance; Made/Born, Lawrance Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ, pp. 195, 2005.
- Bass B.M., "From Transactional to Transformational Leadership: Learning to share the Vision", Organizational dynamics, Winter, pp. 19-31, 1990.
- Brackett M.A., Mayer J.D., and Warner R.M., Emotional Intelligence and its relation to every day behavior, Personality and Individual Differences, 36, 1387-1402, 2004.
- Mayer J.D., Salovey, P., What is emotional intelligence? In Salovey, P. Shuyter, D. (Eds.), Emotional development and emotional intelligence: Educational Implications, Basic Books New York, pp. 3-31, 1997.
- Collins J., Good to Great, Random House business books, London, SW1V 2SA, pp. 20-22, 2001.
- Jensen S. Kohn, C. Rilea, S. Hannon, R. and Howells, G.N., Emotional Intelligence: A Literature Review, University of the Pacific, Department of Psychology, pp. 10-85, 2007.
- Goleman D., Emotional intelligence: Issues in paradigm building, In C. Cherniss & D. Goleman (Eds.), The emotionally intelligent workplace, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, pp. 182-206, 2001.
- Boyatzis R.E., Stimulating self-directed learning through the Managerial Assessment and Development course, Journal of Management Education, 8, 3, pp. 18, 304-323, 1994.
- Boyatzis R.E., Smith M.L., Blaize N., Developing sustainable leaders through coaching and compassion, Academy of Management Learning and Education, 5, 1, 8-24, 2006.
- Leban W., Zulauf C., Linking emotional abilities and transformational leadership styles, Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 25, 7, 554-564, 2004.
- Sanchez M.M., Rejano E.I., Rodriguez Y.T., Personality and academic productivity in the university student, Social Behavior and Personality, 29, 3, 299-306, 2001.
- Bass B.M., Avolio B.J., Full Range Leadership Development: Manual for the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire, Mindgarden, Palo Alto, Calif., pp. 1-2, 1997.
- Gignac G.E., Genos Emotional Intelligence Inventory; Technical Manual (2nd Ed.), Sydney, Waterloo, NSW, pp. 10-36, 2010.