A Multiple-Criteria Approach to Machine-Tool Selection for Focused Flexibility Manufacturing Systems
This paper proposes a new methodology of computer aided machine tools selection for focused ﬂexibility manufacturing systems. The methodology is based on multi-criterion approach and allows to select suboptimal sets of machine tools with the right level of ﬂexibility required by the specific production problem. In the selection process, we first consider critical decision criteria which directly decide if a given machine tool is suitable to realize a defined production task and complies with conditions specified by the designer. Furthermore, economic considerations are taken into account in order to find the best solution from the viewpoint of minimization of both investment costs and time of machining. An illustrative example of machine tool selection using the proposed methodology and the software implementation is also provided. (original abstract)
- Wiendahl H.P., ElMaraghy H.A., Nyhuis P, Zah M.F., Wiendahl H.-H., Duﬃe N., Brieke M., Changeable manufacturing - classification, design and operation, Ann CIRP, 56 (2), 783-809, 2007.
- Tolio T. (ed.), Design of Flexible Production Systems. Methodologies and Tools, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 2009.
- Koren Y., HuS.J., Weber T.W., Impact of manufacturing system configuration on performance, Ann. CIRP, 47 (1), 527-540, 1990.
- Greenwood N.R., Implementing Flexible Manufacturing Systems, Macmillan Education, Oxford, 1988.
- Warnecke H.-J., Steinhilper R., Flexible manufacturing systems, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, Tokyo, 1985.
- Koren Y., Heisel U., Jovane F., Moriwaki T., Pritschow G., Ulsoy G., Van Brussel H., Reconfigurable manufacturing systems, Ann CIRP, 48 (2), 527-540, 1999.
- Landers R.G., A new paradigm in machine tools: Reconfigurable machine tools, Japan-USA symposium on ﬂexible automation, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2000.
- Matta A., Tolio T., Karaesmen F., Dallery Y., An integrated approach for the configuration of automated manufacturing systems, Robotics Comput. Integr. Mafufact., 17, 19-26, 2001.
- Sethi A.K., Sethi S.P., Flexibility in manufacturing: a survey, International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems, 2, 289-328, 1990.
- Ganzi E., Tolio T., Configuration and ReConfiguration of Manufacturing Systems with Focused Flexibility, 6th Convegno A.I.Te.M., Gaeta, Sept. 2003, pp. 1-10 (2003).
- Koren Y., Shpitalni M., Design of reconfigurable manufacturing systems, Journal of Manufacturing Systems (2011) - in press.
- Koren Y., General RMS characteristics. Comparison with dedicated and ﬂexible systems [in:] Dashenko A.I.: Reconfigurable manufacturing systems and transformable factories, Springer Verlag, Berlin/Hiedelberg, pp. 27-46, 2006.
- Terkaj W., Tolio T., Valente A., Focused ﬂexibility in production systems [in:] El Maraghy H. (Ed.): Changeable and reconfigurable manufacturing systems, Springer, New York, 2008.
- Tolio T., Valente A., A stochastic programming approach to design the production system ﬂexibility considering the evolution of the part families, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, 17, 1-2, 42-67, 2009.
- Lin Z.C., Yang C.B., Evaluation of machine selection by the AHP method, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 57, 253-258, 1994.
- Tabucanon M.T., Batanov D.N., Verma D.K., Intelligent Decision Support System (DSS) for the selection process of alternative machines for Flexible Manufacturing Systems (FMS), Computers in Industry, 25, 131-143, 1994.
- Atamani A., Lashkari R.S., A model of machine tool selection and operation allocation in ﬂexible manufacturing systems, International Journal of Production Research, 36, 1339-1349, 1998.
- Wang T.Y., Shaw C.F., Chen Y.L., Machine selection in ﬂexible manufacturing cell: A fuzzy multiple attribute decision making approach, International Journal of Production Research, 30, 2079-2097, 2000.
- Onut S., Kara S.S., Efendigil T., A hybrid fuzzy MCDM approach to machine tool selection, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 19, 443-453, 2008.
- Arslan M.C., Catay B., Budak E., A decision support system for machine tool selection, Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, 5, 101- 109, 2004.
- Yourdakul M., AHP as a strategic decision making tool to justify machine tool selection, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 146, 365-376, 2004.
- Ayag Z, Ozdemir R.G., A fuzzy AHP approach to evaluating machine tool alternatives, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 17, 179-190, 2006.
- Ayag Z., A hybrid approach to machine tool selection through AHP and simulation. International Journal of Production Research, 45, 9, 2029-2050, 2007.
- Mishra S., Prakash, Tivari M.K, Lashkari R.S., A fuzzy goal-programming model for machine tool selection and operation allocation problem in FMS: A quick converging simulated annealing-based approach, International Journal of Production Research, 44, 1, 43-76, 2006.
- Chan F.T.S., Swarnkar R., Ant colony optimization approach to a fuzzy goal programming model for a machine tool selection and operation problem in an FMS, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 22, 353-362, 2006.
- Cimren E., Catay B., Budak E., Development of a machine tool selection system using AHP, Intelligent Journal of Advances Technology, 35, 363-376, 2007.
- Dagdeviren M., Decision making in equipment selection: an integrated approach with AHP and PROMETHEE, Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 19, 397-406, 2008.
- Balaji C.M., Gurumurthy A., Kodali R., Selection of a machine tool for FMS using ELECTRE III - a case study, Automation Science and Engineering, 171-176, 2009.
- Rao R.V., Parnichkun M., Flexible manufacturing system selection using a combinatorial mathematics-based decision-making method, International Journal of Production Research, 47, 24, 6981-6998, 2009.
- Gola A., Świć A., The algorithm of generation technological paths in process of machine tools selection [in Polish], Enterprise Management, 1, 8-16, 2011.
- Gola A., Preliminary design of quantitative concept of machine tools subsystem selection in the ﬂexible manufacturing system [in Polish], The Mechanic Review, 12, 65-68, 2006.
- Montusiewicz J., Evolutionary multicriteria analysis in technical problems [in Polish], IPPT Works of Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 2004.
- Gola A., Świć A., Brief preliminary design for a method of FMS machine tools subsystem selection, PAMM, 9, 1, 663-664, 2010.