The Chosen Questions of the Downtown Cultural Space Revitalisation in the Context of Increasing Polish Cities Attractiveness
Cultural space revitalisation is a specific kind of city centre renewal. It especially aims at improving a degradad urban structure in the aspect of spatial and social attractiveness. In the paper, the author deals with questions of directing a city centre revitalisation process in the right way. In author's opinion it is needed to prove the necessity of the search for solutions to the current spatial problems within a city centre simultaneously considering some extra questions. Having reached the proper level of social and economic stabilization, other kinds of problems will be addressed subsequently. Therefore, it is necessary to think about the future right now, and programme long-term and interdisciplinary strategies for the city downtown development. In conlusion, it is essential to provide the right spatial politics to stimulate the realization of a compact city idea. (original abstract)
- Basset K. 1993. Urban cultural strategies and urban regeneration: a case study and critique. Environment and Planning A, 25: 1773-1788.
- Coca-Stefaniak A., Radominski S.M., Ryczek K. 2009. Urban revitalisation and town centre management in Poland: opportunities and challenges for the 21st century. Journal of Urban Regeneration and Renewal, 2, 3: 207-215.
- Colantonio A., Dixon T. 2011. Urban regeneration & social sustainability: best practice from European cities. Chichester, West Sussex, UK, p. 8.
- Docherty I. 2001. Civic culture, community and citizen participation in contrasting neighbourhoods. Urban Studies, 38, 12: 2225-2250.
- Evans G. 2003. Cultural planning: An Urban Reneissance. Taylor & Francis e-Library, p. 221.
- Hall P. 2000. Creative cities and economic development. Urban Studies, 37, 4: 639-649. Lewis N., Graham C. 1992. Inner city regeneration: the demise of regional and local government. Open University Press, Philadelphia, p. 11.
- Kavaratzis M. 2011. The dishonest relationship between city marketing and culture: reflections on the theory and the case of Budapest. The Journal of Town and City Management, 1, 4: 336-339.
- Kunzmann K.R. 2004. Culture, creativity and spatial planning. Town Planning Review, 75, 4: 384-404.
- Newma T., Curti K., Stephens J. 2003. Do community-based arts projects result in social gains? A review of the literature. Community Development Journal, 38, 4: 310-322.
- Schneekloth L.H., Shibley R.G. 1995. Placemaking: the art and practice of building communities. John Wiley & Sons, New York, p. 1-18.