Implementation Barriers of Lean Manufacturing in the Production Sector
There are numerous publications on Lean Manufacturing (LM) which extensively describe specific tools used in the lean framework, the necessary steps towards implementation of the concept as well as benefits following from its implementation. However, it appears that despite the expected positive results, the companies which implement LM increasingly cease further activity in this area. The causes have not been fully recognized and the reason for the situation can be both the superficial knowledge of the LM as well as a lack of consistency in the decisions taken. Thus the aim of this Article is to identify the barriers to their introduction among the companies which are currently struggling with the LM implementation and the companies which have already completed it. Based on a conducted CATI survey, an attempt has been made to identify both the internal and external barriers. Furthermore, the expertise of companies was examined in terms of knowledge of lean tools, including the awareness of the expected benefits from Lean Manufacturing implementation. The study involved Polish manufacturing companies operating in the Zachodniopomorskie Voivodeship.(author's abstract)
- Frankowska, M., Myszak, J.M., Sowa, M. (2017). An integrated matrix of conditions of the implementation of lean in the manufacturing sector (pp. 431-440). 4th International Multidisciplinary Scientific Conference on Social Sciences and Arts SGEM, Web of Science, Book 1, Vol. 4.
- Jones, D., Womack, J. (2017). Zobaczyć całość, mapowanie rozszerzonych strumieni wartości. Wrocław: Lean Enterprise Institute
- Kilpatrick, J.D. (2003). Lean Principles. MEP, Utah. Retrieved from: www.geocities.ws/jdkilp/lean_principles_ver2b.pdf.
- Kumar, R., Kumar, V. (2014). Barriers in Implementation of Lean Manufacturing System in Indian industry: A survey. International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology (IJLTET), 4 (2), 243-251.
- Lodgaard, E., Ingvaldsen, J.A., Gamme, I., Aschehoug, S. (2016). Barriers to lean implementation: perceptions of top managers, middle managers and workers. Procedia CIRP, 57, 595-600.
- Moradlou, H., Perera, T. (2017). Identification of the Barriers in Implementation of Lean Principles in Iranian SMEs: Case Study Approach. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 17 (1), 36-38.
- Salonitis, K., Tsinopoulos, Ch. (2016). Drivers and Barriers of Lean Implementation in the Greek Manufacturing Sector. Procedia CIRP, 57, 189-194.
- Sułkowski, Ł. (2015). Metodologia zarządzania - od fundamentalizmu do pluralizmu. In: W. Czakon (ed.), Podstawy metodologii badań w naukach o zarządzaniu. Warszawa: Wolters Kluwer.