BRICS in the G20? The Involvement of Rising Powers in the Premier Forum of Global Governance
Amongst the examples of structures filling up the spectrum of relationships between states and non-state actors in global governance, one can distinguish informal forums of international co-operation. The core position amongst them is occupied by the Group of Twenty (G20). This paper is devoted to the issue of the participation of BRICS in global governance institutions, above all the G20, which develops the summitry process at the political leader and ministerial levels. Attention is drawn to the BRICS group as the leading emerging economies and political powers at the regional and international levels, extending their influence within the G20. This paper highlights the increasing activity of emerging economies in this premier forum of global governance and explores the possibilities of BRICS members developing co-ordinated positions in the G20.(original abstract)
- A. F. Cooper, C.I. Bradford CF Jr., 'The G-20 and the Post-Crisis Economic Order', CIGI G-20 Paper, No. 3. Waterloo: CIGI, 13 June 2010, p. 4.
- G. Garrett, B. R. Weingast, 'Ideas, Interests and Institutions', in J. Goldstein, R. O. Keohane (eds), Ideas & Foreign Policy: Beliefs, Institutions and Political Change, Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1993, p. 176.
- G20 Leaders' Statement: The Pittsburgh Summit, par. 19, Pittsburgh, 25 September 2009, http://www. g20.utoronto.ca/2009/2009communique0925.html (accessed on 20 February 2015).
- J. Sinclair, 'The New Global Governance: Time for a Great Leap Forward', Options Poliques, November 2009. M. Weisbrot, 'G-20 Doesn't Offer Much Reform', The Guardian, 27 September 2009
- V. Lukov, A Global Forum for the New Generation: The Role of the BRICS and the Prospects for the Future, 2012, http://www.brics.utoronto.ca/analysis/Lukov-Global-Forum.html (accessed on 20 December 2014).
- D. Held, Cosmopolitanism: Ideals, Realities and Deficiencies, Cambridge: Polity, 2010, p. 204.
- A. F. Cooper, 'The G20 and Contested Global Governance: BRICS, Middle Powers and Small States', Caribbean Journal of International Relations & Diplomacy, 2014, Vol. 2, No. 3, p. 92.
- J. O'Neill, 'Building Better Global Economic BRICs', Global Economics Paper, No. 66, 30 November 2001.
- Y. Primakov, 'Mezhdunarodye otnoshenia nakanune 21 veka' (International Relations at the threshold of 21st century), Mehdunarodnaya zhizn (International Affairs), 1996, Vol. 10, pp. 3-13.
- N. Haibin, BRICS in Global Governance: A Progressive Force? Dialogue on Globalisation, New York: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 2012, p. 1.
- P. Draper, 'BRICS Summit 2012: Inching towards a BRICS Trade and Investment Agenda', SAIIA, 16 March 2012, http://www.saiia.org.za/feature/brics-summit-2012-inching-towards-a-brics-trade-and-investment-agenda.html (accessed on 7 January 2015).
- The 6th BRICS Summit: Fortaleza Declaration, 15 July 2014, Fortaleza, Brazil, par. 21, http://www.brics.utoronto.ca/docs/140715-leaders.html (accessed on 10 January 2015).
- BRICS agree to boost IMF war chest, 19 June 2012, http://www.fin24.com/Economy/Brics-agreeto-boost-IMF-war-chest-20120619 (accessed on 10 January 2015).
- J. Vestergaard, R. H. Wade, 'Still in the Woods: Gridlock in the IMF and the World Bank Puts Multilateralism at Risk', Global Policy, 2015, Vol. 6, Issue 1, p. 2.
- N. Woods, 'Global Governance after the Financial Crisis: A New Multilateralism or the Last Gasp of the Great Powers?', Global Policy, 2010, Vol. 1, Issue 1, p. 56.
- M. Menkes, 'IMF's Governance Reform in the Shadow of Current-accounts Balance Debate', PISM Bulletin, 2010, No. 131 (207), p. 379.
- L. Xing, 'Introduction. Understanding the Hegemony and the Dialectics of the Emerging World Order', in L. Xing (ed.), The BRICS and Beyond. The International Political Economy of Emergence of a New World Order, Farnham: Ashgate, 2014, p. 13.
- Treaty for the Establishment of a BRICS Contingent Reserve Arrangement, 15 July 2014, Fortaleza, Brazil, http://www.brics.utoronto.ca/docs/140715-treaty.html (accessed on 10 January 2015).
- Agreement on the New Development Bank, 15 July 2014, Fortaleza, Brazil, http://www.brics.utoronto.ca/docs/140715-bank.html (accessed on 10 January 2015).
- Media Note on the Informal Meeting of BRICS Leaders on the occasion of the G20 Summit in Brisbane, Brisbane, November 15, 2014, http://www.brics.utoronto.ca/docs/141115-brisbane.html (accessed on 10 February 2015).
- M. Larionova, A. Shelepov, Is BRICS Institutionalization Enhancing its Effectiveness?, in M. Rewizorski (ed.), The European Union and the BRICS: Complex Relations in the Era of Global Governance, Heidelberg- New York: Springer 2015, p. 49.
- BRIC Finance Ministers, First Meeting of BRIC Finance Ministers Communique, http://www.brics. utoronto.ca/docs/081107-finance.html (accessed on 19 February 2015).
- Fourth BRICS Summit: Delhi Declaration, BRICS Information Centre, University of Toronto, 29 March 2012, http://www.brics.utoronto.ca/docs/120329-delhi-declaration.html (accessed on 16 February 2015).
- A. Korablinov, BRICS leaders to hold talks before G20 summit, Russia and India Report, 14.11.2014, http://in.rbth.com/world/2014/11/14/brics_leaders_to_hold_talks_before_g20_summit_39743.html (accessed on 16 February 2015).
- BRICS to meet during G20 Summit in Brisbane, http://www.theeventchronicle.com/news/oceania/brics-meet-g20-summit-brisbane/ (accessed on 16 February 2015).
- A. De Freitas Barbosa, R. Mendes, 'Is there a Brazilian Strategy for the G-20?', in T. Fues, P. Wolff (eds), G-20 and Global Development: How Can the New Summit Architecture Promote Pro-Poor Growth and Sustainability? Bonn: DIE, 2010.
- See K. Gnath, C. Schmucker, 'The Role of the emerging countries in the G-20: Agenda-setter: Veto player or spectator?'. European Yearbook of International Economic Law, 2012, Vol. 3, pp. 667-681.
- J. Wouters, S. van Kerckhoven, J. Odermatt, 'The EU at the G20 and the G20's impact on the EU', Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies, Working Paper No. 93, p. 10.
- R. O. Keohane, After Hegemony: Cooperation and Discord in the World Political Economy, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1984, p. 51.
- L. Hongyu, L. Xing, 'G20 and C2: Sino US Relations as an Institutional Cooperation Game?', in L. Xing (ed.), The BRICS and Beyond. The International Political Economy of the Emergence of a New World Order, Farnham: Ashgate, 2014, p. 117.