Are Cryptocurrencies the New "Financial Weapons of Mass Destruction"?
Before 2008, one thing that could be said about the derivatives market was that they were anything but regulated. Nowadays, the same thing can be said about the current financial innovation: cryptocurrencies. However, there are many private law institutions which have not been regulated for centuries, yet they did not trigger a worldwide financial crisis. The reason for that is that the financial crisis constituted a complex phenomenon caused by many factors, occurring jointly and affecting the derivatives market in unison, not just by lack of regulation. This paper will elaborate whether factors which, in the opinion of the author, caused the recent financial crisis, currently exist, or can occur in the future, in the cryptocurrency market. Such a study will allow a conclusion to be drawn as to whether cryptocurrencies are capable of triggering a similar financial crisis as derivatives did before their current partial regulation. (original abstract)
- Adelstein J. (2018), Japan shuts down two cryptocurrency exchanges but it may be good news for the industry, https://www.forbes.com/sites/adelsteinjake/2018/03/08/japan-shuts-down-two- cryptocurrency-exchanges-but-it-may-be-good-news-for-the-industry/.
- Alcantara C., Dick C. (2017), Decolonization in a digital age: cryptocurrencies and indigenous self- determination in Canada, Canadian Journal of Law & Society/La Revue Canadienne Droit et Société, 32(1), 19-35.
- Arnold A. (2018), 30% of Millennials would rather invest in cryptocurrency: Here are 3 tips to help you do it smarter, https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewarnold/2018/01/07/30-of-millennials-invest-in- cryptocurrency-here-are-3-tips-to-help-you-do-it-smarter.
- Böhme R. et al. (2015), Bitcoin: economics, technology, and governance, Journal of Economic Perspectives,29(2), 213-238.
- Buffet W. (2002), Warren Buffet on derivatives, http://www.fintools.com/docs/Warren Buffet on Derivatives.pdf.
- Chaurasiya V. (2018), Full list of Weiss cryptocurrency ratings, https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@nawa bofnowhere/full-list-of-weiss-cryptocurrency-ratings.
- Cheah E.-T., Fry J. (2015), Speculative bubbles in bitcoin markets? An empirical investigation into the fundamental value of bitcoin, Economics Letters, 130, 32-36.
- Chohan U. (2017), Assessing the differences in bitcoin & other cryptocurrency legality across national jurisdictions, University of New South Wales Business School Working Paper, https://dx.doi. org/10.2139/ssrn.3042248.
- Corbet S. et al. (2018), Exploring the dynamic relationships between cryptocurrencies and other financial assets, Economics Letters, 165, 28-34.
- Corbet S. et al. (2019), Kodakcoin: a blockchain revolution or exploiting a potential cryptocurrency bubble?, Applied Economics Letters, 26, 1-7.
- Crotty J. (2009), Structural causes of the global financial crisis: a critical assessment of the 'new financial architecture, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 33(4), 563-580.
- EBA (2014), Opinion on 'virtual currencies', European Banking Authority, https://eba.europa.eu/ documents/10180/657547/EBA-Op-2014-08+Opinion+on+Virtual+Currencies.pdf.
- FCIC (2011), The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report, Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission,https://www. govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GPO-FCIC/pdf/GPO-FCIC.pdf.
- GAO (2014), Virtual currencies: emerging regulatory, Law Enforcement, and Consumer Protection Challenges, U.S. Government Accountability Office, https://www.gao.gov/assets/670/663678.pdf.
- High P. (2018), A capital one CIO's take on blockchain, Ai, innovation labs and more, https://www.forbes. com/sites/peterhigh/2018/02/26/a-capital-one-cios-take-on-blockchain-ai-innovation-labs-and-more/.
- Hughes S.J., Middlebrook S.T. (2015), Advancing a framework for regulating cryptocurrency payments intermediaries feature,Yale Journal on Regulation, 32(2), 495-559.
- Jalilvand A., Malliaris T. (2012), Risk Management and Corporate Governance, Routledge.
- Joshi D. (2017), As financial institutions invest in blockchain tech. How secure is your information?, http://www.businessinsider.com/secure-cryptocurrency-blockchain-technology-2017-10.
- Kramer M. (2018), Over-the-counter market, https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/over-the- countermarket.asp>.
- Leising M. (2017), Bitcoin futures pave way for ether derivatives from CDS pioneer, www.bloomberg.com/ news/articles/2017-11-16/ether-derivatives-are-coming-from-a-pioneer-of-credit-swaps.
- Lukasiewicz J. (2014), How to buy large amounts of bitcoin through the OTC market, https:// bravenewcoin. com/news/how-to-buy-large-amounts-of-bitcoin-through-the-otc-market/.
- Marr B. (2017), A short history of bitcoin and crypto currency everyone should read, https://www.forbes.com/ sites/bernardmarr/2017/12/06/a-short-history-of-bitcoin-and-crypto-currency-everyone-should-read/.
- Mourdoukoutas P. (2018), Cryptocurrency rating agency says ethereum is better than bitcoin and ripple - should you trust it?, https://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2018/01/28/cryptocurrency- rating-agency-says-ethereum-is-better-than-bitcoin-and-ripple-should-you-trust-it/>.
- Murphy M. (2017), Bitcoin exchange collapses after second cyber attack in a year, https://www.telegraph. co.uk/technology/2017/12/19/bitcoin-exchange-collapses-second-cyber-attack-year/.
- Nicolaisen J. (2015), Should banks be bailed out?, https://www.norges-bank.no/en/news-events/ news-publications/Speeches/2015/2015-04-14-Nicolaisen-DNVA/.
- Noack R. (2018), Cryptocurrency mining in Iceland is using so much energy, the electricity may run out, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/02/13/cryptocurrency-mining-in- iceland-is-using-so-much-energy-the-electricity-may-run-out/.
- Olson C. (2016), Money laundering, bitcoin and blockchain: anonymity, transparency and privacy are not incompatible, https://www.finextra.com/blogposting/12663/money-laundering-bitcoin-and- blockchain-anonymity-transparency-and-privacy-are-not-incompatible.
- Orcutt M. (2017), A cryptocurrency without a blockchain has been built to outperform bitcoin, https://www. technologyreview.com/s/609771/a-cryptocurrency-without-a-blockchain-has-been-built-to- outperform-bitcoin/.
- OSC (2017), CSA Staff Notice 46-307 Cryptocurrency Offerings, Ontario Securities Commission, http://www.osc.gov.on.ca/en/SecuritiesLaw_csa_20170824_cryptocurrency-offerings.htm.
- Sorkin A.R. (2010), Too Big to Fail: The Inside Story of How Wall Street and Washington Fought to Save the Financial System and Themselves, Penguin Books.
- Stout L.A. (2011), Derivatives and the legal origin of the 2008 credit crisis, Harvard Business Law Review, 1, 1-38.
- The Clearing House & Independent Comty. of Bankers of America (2014), Virtual currency: risks and regulation, http://www.icba.org/files?ICBAsites/PFDs/virtualcurencywhitePaperJune2014.pdf.
- Tucker P.C. (2009), The digital currency doppelganger: regulatory challenge or Harbinger of the new economy?, Cardozo Journal of International and Comparative Law, 17, 589-623.
- WeUseCoins (2018), Best 40+ options to buy bitcoins online around the world, https://www.weusecoins. com/en/how-buy-bitcoins-online-best-bitcoin-exchange-rate-bitcoin-price/.
- Whigham N. (2017), Bitcoin heist: Man has $155K stolen from account via public Wi-Fi, http://www.news. com.au/technology/online/hacking/restaurantgoer-has-bitcoins-stolen-over-unsecured-public- wireless-network/news-story/a82d75eb85763ee3d38678b430df3bf0.
- Williams-Grut O. (2018), Here are all the theories explaining the crypto market crash, http://uk.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-cryptocurrency-market-crash-explained-causes-2018-1.
- Wilmoth J. (2017), Ethereum futures will likely launch sooner than you think,https://strategiccoin.com/ ethereum-futures-will-launch-sooner-than-you-think/.
- Woodside J.M., Augustine F.K. Jr, Giberson W. (2017), Blockchain technology adoption status and strategies, Journal of International Technology and Information Management, 26(2), 65-93.
- Utzig S. (2010), The financial crisis and the regulation of credit rating agencies: a European banking perspective, ADBI Working Paper, 188, 1-26.